After trying to shutdown PC won't turn off

Davoda1

Commendable
May 16, 2021
Behavior:
After attempting to shutdown (Windows 11 Pro) the OS seemingly shut down, all screens go to sleep (as in loosing signal as it is expected), but the PC will still run, all fans keep spinning and all lights are still on. Only by holding down the power button can I shot it down and to start it I have to turn off the PSU and after a few minutes turn it back on or the PC won't start.
Checked:
Fast boot both MSI and Windows turned off in the BIOS
Fast startup turned off in windows
Hibernation disabled completely in windows
App troubleshooting ran in settings (something unknown has been detected in Windown Update but no information what that is and no change)
sfc /scannow found nothing
this has been checked (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...fter-bad/5b464f02-a138-40a7-bdf5-ba007fb08aa1)
All components have been checked to work properly
The error seems to only happen when the computer is used for a longer period of time, so maybe it is some program or service that is the source of the issue but I have no idea, before any of this has started to happen no updates or changes have been made to installations or updates as far as I can remember
----------------------
I ran out of ideas if anyone has any idea I'm loosing my sanity at this point.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try resetting bios to defaults. It could be a discrepancy between settings in BIOS compared to windows. Windows tells PC to shutdown but perhaps signal was ignored.

MIght want to see if you have newest BIOS for motherboard.

Davoda1

Commendable
May 16, 2021
Newest BOIS and it has been retested, the battery also have been replaced tho that wasn't needed.
Honestly I'm just confused about this because there is no common reason for this to happen, even if a 3rd party software would do it (tho I have not idea how could that even happen when the OS shuts down) there have been no updates.
BOIS, Windows and all drivers are up to date as well

Davoda1

Commendable
May 16, 2021
The hardest thing is, is that other than maybe a windows and steam update really nothing have been changed nor hardware nor software wise in the computer, so I cannot tell of any change that suddenly changed and caused the issue. Even harder that sometimes maybe 1 out of 5-6 it shuts down properly.

Colif

Win 11 Master
try resetting power plans
  1. Reset and restore the power plans to default
  2. Click “Windows Key + X, and then click on command prompt.
  3. In the command prompt, type powercfg –restoredefaultschemes and hit Enter.
  4. Exit command prompt.
Microsoft link

what motherboard do you have? Run any of its utilities? Just curious as things like the Asus programs can change power settings.

Davoda1

Commendable
May 16, 2021
The Motherboard is a MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI
and the power management settings have been retested already
sorry I tried a lot of things and I do forget some to say

Davoda1

Commendable
May 16, 2021
But I generated the report that I havent done before this might help
I generated a report with "powercfg /SYSTEMPOWERREPORT"
It is just, that the latest shutdown(s) that were 100% abnormal as well report as okay...

Some of the programs that were running:
autohotkeys
Start11
powertoys
MSI Afterburner + Riva
Dragon center (Only the lights not any other function)
Steam and not much else, also whatever it was there were no updates and they have been used for year(s)

Last edited:

Davoda1

Commendable
May 16, 2021
Some further information if that help anyone to give ideas; the first time when it started the pc stopped booting up no matter what I did, so lacking tools or mental strength I took it for repair. At the time they said the CPU did not get recognised or contact error, sadly I don't have the email. And we'll, it stopped booting all together again. ❤️