Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
Hi guys, as the title say.
My spec :
- Mainboard B150M Mortar
- CPU Skylake Intel core i5 6400
- Memory DDR4 8GB
- VGA : GTX 1050 Ti OC

I bought new monitor today but I forget that my VGA only have 1 HDMI port. So I tried to unlock the integrated graphic card on mobo to see if I could use this monitor through a d-sub (vga) port of mobo. But then after install new update from device manager to use this monitor succeed, I noticed that my cpu fan stopped spin!. I still can boot the PC and use it but the temp keep heat up. I update my BIOS to the latest but it still not spin. I even unplug and check the power source, nothing came up. Everything fan from case, GPU still spin.

Hope I can get some idea from you guys and thanks in advance

Solution
If you have a voltmeter, check to see if it is putting voltages on those pins for the cpu fan. You can aways try plugging in a regular case fan to see if it spins. If it does, then the cooler is bad. If it doesn't, the motherboard might be bad. You might want to contact the manufacturer to see if they have some troubleshooting steps or if they'll replace it.

clifford64

Honorable
May 18, 2014
If you have a voltmeter, check to see if it is putting voltages on those pins for the cpu fan. You can aways try plugging in a regular case fan to see if it spins. If it does, then the cooler is bad. If it doesn't, the motherboard might be bad. You might want to contact the manufacturer to see if they have some troubleshooting steps or if they'll replace it.

Solution

Stephen_146

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
Thanks for helps. I dont have voltmeter so I cant check it but I tried to switch the 3-pin fan connector to another, from cpu-fan to sys-fan. It works ! So I think the problem is 3-pin cpu-fan connector. I also set the this sys fan with smart setup so it can adjust the rpm better. Hope this good. Because when I do research here, i saw people said that if we switch the fan connector place like that, somehow the fan cant receive the signal from heat sensor to balance the speed.

That is a workaround, and of course it can work. But it is clear sign the your motherboard is malfunctioning. If it is still under warranty, I would contact manufacturer about motherboard replace.

clifford64

Honorable
May 18, 2014
Yeah, if you just switched to a different connector on the motherboard, then that means it's bad and you should probably get it replaced if it's under warranty. The CPU fan pins control speed based on heat the CPU is outputting and so it's important that the CPU fan is controlled by that or you risk it overheating.