AGP 4x Problems!

G

Hi everyone,

I'm running an Athlon 1.4 (266FSB) on an Epox EP-8K7A+ with a 300watt PS. Everything seems to be running fine (Now running Windows XP Pro), but when I play 3D games on my Visiontek GeForce3, about 5 to 10 minutes into the game, the video freezes, game music continues to play, and all keyboard/mouse functions halt. I am then forced to turn off my computer to re-boot. However, for some odd reason, the computer does not lock up when playing Quake3 (go figure). Everything else locks up, Counter-Strike, Homeworld, Anachronox demo, etc.

I've been fiddling around with various options, trying different drivers (now running the latest Detonator XP drivers from Nvidia), and nothing seems to remedy the problem. I read some posts on various boards saying that perhaps ACPI could be the problem because sometimes windows likes to sneak some devices into already used IRQs (my video card is running on IRQ 10). So I formatted my HD, and disabled ACPI and re-installed Windows XP... still I have lockups.

Fiddling in the bios more, I turned off AGP 4x, and put the setting to 1x/2x, and that appears to have fixed my problem. Everything is running fine and dandy now. But why would turning it down to 1x/2x fix the problem? And ALSO, if I'm running my AGP port at 1x/2x, doesn't that defeat the purpose of having my GeForce3 card? Isn't the 1x/2x setting going to drop my framerates, etc?

Any input on how I can get this back to 4x and get things working would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I've updated all of my drivers, gotten the Via 4-in-1 drivers, Detonator XP, etc etc etc. And please, don't say it's Windows XP, because I had the same problem under Windows98 and WindowsME.

HELP! :)

Thanks, Merrick.

G

I just realized that there is a Graphics Cards message board that I never noticed, perhaps I should have posted this message there. I think I will do that now! Sorry! :/

Merrick