AGP Card, VGA ok, DVI no signal

G

I have looked for months to find a new graphics card for an older PC that I built, changing it from an AIW pro PCI card to an AGP card. Until now, I could not get a signal either through the VGA or DVI ports. I finally found one that provides a signal through the VGA port but no signal at all on the DVI port.

The card I finally found is a Sparkle Gforce FX 5500 AGP 4x/8x card, with both VGA and DVI-I ports. My monitor is a Princeton LCD17D monitor with both VGA and DVI-D ports. Again, connecting the VGA ports via a VGA cable, I get a normal signal. However, connecting the card's DVI-I port to the monitor's DVi-D port, via a DVI-D cable (which is supposed to be the pure digital cable for this), I get no signal, causing the no signal error beeps on boot, and the power light never turning green.

With the prior card trials where neither signal worked, I wondered about the AGP slot. However, as the VGA signal is great from this AGP card, I assume that the slot is ok.

I have tried the monitor front settings, however could only find that it noted ANALOG with the VGA connections. I could not find any setting change to DIGITAL, so I assume it is connecting automatically to the existing setting? As I cannot get any video on DVI, I cannot check this monitor setting to see if it turned automatically to digital.

Any suggestions?

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished
no..
The dvi-d is supposed to only work with a single link dvi-d
1141.jpg

few would monitors/tvs work with dual link as pictured below..
1142.jpg

G

If the information on my searches are correct, dual links are indicated by 3 rows of 8 pins (24 pins), while single links are 2 blocks of 3x3 pins (18 pins), as your photos show.

My DVI-I card has 3 rows of 8 (dual), and my monitor also has 3 rows of 8 (dual), and is as DVI-D.

Would these not be dual, and supporting a DVI-D cable between them?

G

Sorry, on the above reply, 2nd paragraph, the last words should be "and is labeled as DVI-D". I forgot the word "labeled". This label is imprinted on the monitor above the port.

G

No, my monitor has a DVI port with 3 rows of 8 pins and has a label DVI-D. My card however, is a DVI-I, but again with 3 rows of 8 pins.

G

I'm not sure what you mean by using a single link? Do you mean a single link cable instead of the double link one I have been using? I'm not objecting to your fix, but just making sure you know my situation. If you mean trying a single link cable, I will surely give it a try.

G

Popatim,

I tried every which way to bring up a menu with the front buttons to change from analog to digital (AGP to DVI)? The only time I can get a menu on the monitor, is when connected via the VGA, as this is the only time I can get a signal. With the DVI cable connected or the PC shutdown, pressing the buttons will not provide any display to change anything. Are you familiar with the monitor? On several searches, it advised that Princeton isn't in business anymore, and the manual is not very explicit.

Thanks,

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished
http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_cables.html

according to this site you might need dvi i to dvi i

http://www.datapro.net/products/dvi-i-dual-link-digital-analog-cable.html

This time however i am not sure.

I sincerely hope you get a refund

Determining which type of DVI cable to use for your products is critical in getting the right cable the first time. Check both of the female DVI plugs to determine what signals they are compatible with.
If one or both connections are DVI-D, you need a DVI-D cable.
If one or both connections are DVI-A, you need a DVI-A cable.
If one connection is DVI and the other is VGA, and the DVI is analog-compatible, you need a DVI to VGA cable or a DVI/VGA adaptor.
If both connections are DVI-I, you may use any DVI cable, but a DVI-I cable is recommended.
If one connection is analog and the other connection is digital, there is no way to connect them with a single cable. You'll have to use an electronic converter box, such as our analog VGA to digital DVI converter.

http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

G

Going to your site, per the link you gave, as I originally stated, since I have DVI-I card and a DVI-D monitor, I would assume I need a DVI-D cable. Note the item from your site link below:
======================================================
HOW DO I KNOW WHICH CABLE TO USE?

Determining which type of DVI cable to use for your products is critical in getting the right cable the first time. Check both of the female DVI plugs to determine what signals they are compatible with.
If one or both connections are DVI-D, you need a DVI-D cable.
If one or both connections are DVI-A, you need a DVI-A cable.
If one connection is DVI and the other is VGA, and the DVI is analog-compatible, you need a DVI to VGA cable or a DVI/VGA adaptor.
If both connections are DVI-I, you may use any DVI cable, but a DVI-I cable is recommended.
If one connection is analog and the other connection is digital, there is no way to connect them with a single cable. You'll have to use an electronic converter box, such as our analog VGA to digital DVI converter.
======================================================

Now, since both card and monitor have 3 rows of 8, I assume this is dual link, however from what I have read, dual link only provides higher resolutions than single link, and since I am using 1024x768, both should work (but neither do).

I know the VGA ports I am using between both card and monitor are analog, however I don't know if the DVI-I (card) and the DVI-D (monitor) would make the connection digital?

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished
Last message reads:

http://www.techimo.com/forum/graphics-cards-displays/185962-dvi-d-monitor-dvi-i-computer-will-work.html

If your monitor looks blank after you've connected the cables, you probably need to click something in your display/screen resolution properties window. For example in windows 7, I had to click "Detect" in the screen resolution properties windows, before my extended monitor showed up.

I hope this helps.