AGP Question?

I installed the Ground Control 2 demo today and received a funny message.
I'm playing on 4400 card, and the message said, "warning AGP not enabled,
performance may suffer". anyone know what this means?

AGP looks to be enabled in the BIOS.

Thanks

"Gus Lane" <####@####.net> wrote in <GyiIc.22837$JW6.6745407
@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>:

>I installed the Ground Control 2 demo today and received a funny message.
>I'm playing on 4400 card, and the message said, "warning AGP not enabled,
>performance may suffer". anyone know what this means?
>
>AGP looks to be enabled in the BIOS.
>
>Thanks

Chipset Drivers .... very usefull if your AGP drivers work ( they came with
your motherboard )

Chipset drivers are installed and are current. Any other suggestions would
be helpful.

Thanks
Gus

"Dark Avenger" <no_spam@spamnet.nl> wrote in message
> "Gus Lane" <####@####.net> wrote in <GyiIc.22837$JW6.6745407
> @news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>:
>
> >I installed the Ground Control 2 demo today and received a funny message.
> >I'm playing on 4400 card, and the message said, "warning AGP not enabled,
> >performance may suffer". anyone know what this means?
> >
> >AGP looks to be enabled in the BIOS.
> >
> >Thanks
> >

> Chipset Drivers .... very usefull if your AGP drivers work ( they came
with
> your motherboard )

Click the windows Start button, then run DXDIAG for DirectX and see if
DirectDraw, Direct3D and AGP texture acceleration are all enabled. You can also
test Directdraw and Direct3D. I don't anything about the game your using, but I
doubt it is using opengl.

Have you tried any other games? It might just be something with only that game.

Hawk

I have a Radeon 9000 Pro that refuses to enable any acceleration
features. It gives a similar message when drivers are installed. I
have exchanged about 25 E-mails with ATI tech support with no
solution. I am convinced the problem is with the ATI Win98 drivers.

hawk

Gus Lane wrote:
> I installed the Ground Control 2 demo today and received a funny message.
> I'm playing on 4400 card, and the message said, "warning AGP not enabled,
> performance may suffer". anyone know what this means?
>
> AGP looks to be enabled in the BIOS.
>
> Thanks

AGP Texture says it's not available in Direct X. That's the first time I've
seen that.

Thanks
Gus

"Gus Lane" <####@####.net> wrote in message
> AGP Texture says it's not available in Direct X. That's the first time
I've
> seen that.

I've got the same problem with my brother-in-laws PC, just installed XP on
it with a Radeon 9200 (I didn't have a spare nVidia card to give him :p).
I've seen it before under 98SE and ME before - there used to be an issue
with Netmeeting messing up the AGP Texture Acceleration part of DXDiag. I
haven't had chance to mess with the PC to try and sort it out. I'm popping
around again later this week, so if I sort it out I'll post the solution.

Dan

Thank you. I realize my games are running a little choppy, now I know the
reason why.

Please let me know if you find anything.

Thanks
Gus

"Spack" <news@worldofspack.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Gus Lane" <####@####.net> wrote in message
> > AGP Texture says it's not available in Direct X. That's the first time
> I've
> > seen that.
>
> I've got the same problem with my brother-in-laws PC, just installed XP on
> it with a Radeon 9200 (I didn't have a spare nVidia card to give him :p).
> I've seen it before under 98SE and ME before - there used to be an issue
> with Netmeeting messing up the AGP Texture Acceleration part of DXDiag. I
> haven't had chance to mess with the PC to try and sort it out. I'm popping
> around again later this week, so if I sort it out I'll post the solution.
>
> Dan

AGP texture acceleration should always be enabled.

I have seen a few times that acceleration was not enabled with different
systems. Everytime it was related to the motherboard chipset drivers in some
way.

There was one case that even though I was using the newest chipset drivers
acceleration would not enable. I tried an earlier version and it solved the
problem.

I would try installing the newest chipset drivers for your motherboard, and
then DirectX 9.0b after that.
If that doesn't work I would try a slightly older version of the chipset
drivers for your motherboard, and then DirectX 9.0b again.

It's always a good idea to reinstall DirectX after changing any system
drivers.

Okay, I uninstalled XP since I had it on top of WinME and the problem
disappeared. Now the AGP features are enabled. Go figure.

Thanks
Gus

P.S. It still doesn't solve the problem of why.

> I installed the Ground Control 2 demo today and received a funny message.
> I'm playing on 4400 card, and the message said, "warning AGP not enabled,
> performance may suffer". anyone know what this means?
>
> AGP looks to be enabled in the BIOS.
>
> Thanks

Hawk

Exactly what was going on with my Radeon 9000. It worked perfectly
with my dual boot WinXP, so I was pretty sure that all of the
hardware, BIOS, etc. was OK. But I still could not get it to work with
Win98, despite re installation of Win98, DirectX9.0, newer and older
ATI drivers, etc., etc. until I was cross eyed from installing and
uninstalling.

The only conclusion I could reach was the the ATI Win98 drivers were
no good.

hawk

Gus Lane wrote:
> Okay, I uninstalled XP since I had it on top of WinME and the problem
> disappeared. Now the AGP features are enabled. Go figure.
>
> Thanks
> Gus
>
> P.S. It still doesn't solve the problem of why.
>

> "Gus Lane" <####@####.net> wrote in message
>
>>I installed the Ground Control 2 demo today and received a funny message.
>>I'm playing on 4400 card, and the message said, "warning AGP not enabled,
>>performance may suffer". anyone know what this means?
>>
>>AGP looks to be enabled in the BIOS.
>>
>>Thanks

Hawk

Yeah, I did all of that multiple times. I never could get the Radeon
9000 Pro card to work in Win98se. But I have WinXP installed as a dual
boot and the card works perfectly in WinXP. The only conclusion I
could reach is the the ATI Win98 drivers are no good. And I am
finished with ATI cards as a result of this experience.

hawk

PRIVATE1964 wrote:

> AGP texture acceleration should always be enabled.
>
> I have seen a few times that acceleration was not enabled with different
> systems. Everytime it was related to the motherboard chipset drivers in some
> way.
>
> There was one case that even though I was using the newest chipset drivers
> acceleration would not enable. I tried an earlier version and it solved the
> problem.
>
> I would try installing the newest chipset drivers for your motherboard, and
> then DirectX 9.0b after that.
> If that doesn't work I would try a slightly older version of the chipset
> drivers for your motherboard, and then DirectX 9.0b again.
>
> It's always a good idea to reinstall DirectX after changing any system
> drivers.

This happens sometimes if you installed DX9 before you installed yer DX9
graphics card drivers.