Question Aio fans connected to a pmw fan hub (Corsair Commander Core XT)

Sep 13, 2024
First time posting here so sorry if this is in the wrong category.

I recently got an aio put in and was curious if I can plug the fans into a pmw hub and it be safe.

Context:
The 2 fans under my radiator are 4 pin corsair fans but are just hooked up to a splitter so they detect and run, just are not controllable. I purchased a CORSAIR iCUE Commander Core XT to hook my chasis fans into but I have 3 open slots left. Would it be fine to plug the aio fans into that hub so I can controll them? Right now they are at full blast all the time and was just looking to turn down the rpms when I'm not playing games. I have read many reddit threads saying keep it at 100% and many that say you can run it at lower rpms and be just fine.

Never had an Aio cooler before so I am kind of lost so any help is appreciated. Is just want my PC to be virtually silent when I am not running any programs or just on a web browser

2 fans under my radiator are 4 pin corsair fans but are just hooked up to a splitter so they detect and run, just are not controllable...Would it be fine to plug the aio fans into that hub so I can controll them?
the cooler fans, with their splitter, need to be connected to the CPU_FAN motherboard header.
usually the system will not properly load if fan(s) are not detected by this header.

and they should be PWM fans, so should be controllable.
if they are not than you got a very crappy AIO. but you don't mention the make & model so we don't know.

you would need either motherboard control software, AIO manufacturer software, a 3rd party option(SpeedFan, etc), or settings used through the BIOS to create a fan curve to control the AIO fans.

and you wouldn't want all of the fans in your system sharing the same fan curve profile.
ideally you want separate profiles for the separate groups of fans based on their location and orientation.

Last edited:
Yes you can plug them into the hub and possibly the pump as well, but it would be very helpful to let everyone know What Aio it is ?.

If the pump is a 3pin you can go into Icue setting in the upper right corner to tell the CC XT the port you plug it into is a 3 or 4 pin item.

The threads may have been talking about the pump running 100% which is best but the fans DO NOT have to be running 100%.
I was running a custom loop with C C Xt before going to the C C pro with Ek Pwm pump, Alphacool Temp/Flow sensor which is a 3 pin for the rpm reading so I set the port to 3 pin.

As far as the cpu Header error just plug you rear exhaust fan into it or choose ignore in bios if available.

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Echo: tell us exactly what AIO system you have, PLUS what mobo - maker and model.

Actually, you should NOT connect the rad fans to that Hub. You have your case ventilation fans connected to that hub, so it SHOULD be connected and configured to use a temperature sensor on your motherboard for guidance. But cooling of the CPU chip NEEDS to be guided by a different temp sensor inside your CPU chip. THAT is one of the functions of the CPU_FAN header. That header also has an important second function to monitor some parts of your AIO system for FAILURE and protect the CPU from overheating. So tell us your hardware and we can advise.

Sep 13, 2024
First time posting here so sorry if this is in the wrong category.

I recently got an aio put in and was curious if I can plug the fans into a pmw hub and it be safe.

Context:
The 2 fans under my radiator are 4 pin corsair fans but are just hooked up to a splitter so they detect and run, just are not controllable. I purchased a CORSAIR iCUE Commander Core XT to hook my chasis fans into but I have 3 open slots left. Would it be fine to plug the aio fans into that hub so I can controll them? Right now they are at full blast all the time and was just looking to turn down the rpms when I'm not playing games. I have read many reddit threads saying keep it at 100% and many that say you can run it at lower rpms and be just fine.

Never had an Aio cooler before so I am kind of lost so any help is appreciated. Is just want my PC to be virtually silent when I am not running any programs or just on a web browser
Aio: Thermalright Aqua Elite 240 V3
I believe this it it from what I can tell. If this is bad then I messed up. I trusted the guy at my local PC shop since I saw his other work so I didn't have much input
Motherboard: PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES

Sep 13, 2024
Yes you can plug them into the hub and possibly the pump as well, but it would be very helpful to let everyone know What Aio it is ?.

If the pump is a 3pin you can go into Icue setting in the upper right corner to tell the CC XT the port you plug it into is a 3 or 4 pin item.

The threads may have been talking about the pump running 100% which is best but the fans DO NOT have to be running 100%.
I was running a custom loop with C C Xt before going to the C C pro with Ek Pwm pump, Alphacool Temp/Flow sensor which is a 3 pin for the rpm reading so I set the port to 3 pin.

As far as the cpu Header error just plug you rear exhaust fan into it or choose ignore in bios if available.
Aio: Thermalright Aqua Elite 240 V3
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES
The splitter that is in right now is a 4 pin pmw splitter. Both rad fans are plugged into it which is connected to my cpu_fan header

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
For the Thermalrite AIO system, the right way is this.
1. The cable from the PUMP goes to your mobo's AIO_PUMP header. See the User Manual p. 1-1, it is to the rear of board middle, next to the CHA_FAN1 header.
2. The small fan hub supplied is used to connect the two RAD FANS to the mobo CPU_FAN header at top near the front.

The User Manual does not provide any clear info about the configuration options available for each fan header when you use BIOS Setup. But I can tell you what you need there. Go to the AIO_PUMP header. You may find there are few choices available, but there may be some. Ensure that it is set to be used for a PUMP, and not for a fan. Normally this will set it always to feed full power to the pump so it can work as designed at full speed. It also will monitor this critical component for possible failure. IF that ever happens it will give you a prominent on-screen warning and may take quick action to prevent overheating.

Now go to the CPU_FAN header that powers and controls the rad fans. There are two options to set correctly. The PROFILE option usually includes things like Standard or Normal, Turbo, Quiet, and Manual. Set to the Standard profile so it will perform automatic fan speed control based on the temp sensor inside the CPU chip, and using the pre-set "fan curve" of what speed to use for what temperature. Do NOT use the Quiet item - that forces the fans to run at a slow fixed speed and they can NOT do good cooling at higher workloads. Then look for a fan MODE setting with options of Voltage or DC, PWM, and possibly Automatic. Make sure this is set to PWM Mode so that signal system is sent through the Hub to your two 4-pin rad fans. That is how their speeds can be controlled by the mobo.

IF you have a 3-pin fan connected somehow to that Hub, in this MODE setting that one fan will be full speed all the time. I see you plan to replace a 3-pin fan with a 4-pin model, so that issue will go away.

ALL your case ventilation fans should be controlled as a separate group. You have the CORSAIR iCUE Commander Core XT Hub unit. It really is two Hubs in one box - a Hub for fan MOTORS, and another for LIGHTS in fan frames. The box gets all power by an input from a SATA power output connector from the PSU. Control of all it devices is by the software utility iCUE which communicates with the box via its cable to a mobo USB2 header. The unit comes with a couple of temperature sensors you can plug into it and mount in your case somewhere. These can give you interesting info, but getting relaiable readings from them for particular components of the mobo is difficult and not relaible for cooling control. Instead, in iCUE you should find that there is an option to use the temp sensor already built into your mobo to guide its fan cooling motor control, so use that. Do NOT use the temp sensor in the CPU chip. The box has one output port for a 3-pin fan, but such a fan's speed cannot be conrolled this way. As you indicate, you may NOT be using that fan, anyway.

Sep 13, 2024
Now go to the CPU_FAN header that powers and controls the rad fans. There are two options to set correctly. The PROFILE option usually includes things like Standard or Normal, Turbo, Quiet, and Manual. Set to the Standard profile so it will perform automatic fan speed control based on the temp sensor inside the CPU chip, and using the pre-set "fan curve" of what speed to use for what temperature. Do NOT use the Quiet item - that forces the fans to run at a slow fixed speed and they can NOT do good cooling at higher workloads. Then look for a fan MODE setting with options of Voltage or DC, PWM, and possibly Automatic. Make sure this is set to PWM Mode so that signal system is sent through the Hub to your two 4-pin rad fans. That is how their speeds can be controlled by the mobo.
The only issue I am having is I set it to standard but then I don't get the option to switch it from DC to PMW. The little bar on the top right doesn't even show up.

I can can the curve and everything but it just doesn't have the option to change. I'm guessing that its hard locked on PWM mode?

Edit: I switch it to standard mode (I had it on manual tuning) and the fans are now sitting at 790ish rpm (was in the high 900s or low 1000s before). I call that problem solved. All I hear now is just the slight hum from the radiator. Thank you so much

Last edited: