Question AIO liquid sounds

OfficialKapn

Reputable
Sep 15, 2019
Hi everyone,
So I bought a new AIO it is Deepcool castle 360 RGB, about 1 week after installation I started to here noices of the liquid plopping in the radiator (im not sure, but I think I didn't hear it before).
Should it be like that?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Here, i'd check for leaks since somehow, air has found it's way into your AIO. That can't happen unless the liquid inside your AIO is displaced somewhere else.

Though, AIOs are prone to have some air in them and you can hear the bubbling noise. If the air pocket is small enough, tilting the rad back and forth can help reducing the sound.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Have you moved the PC at all? I'm talking like from room to room or even further?

Either way, could be air that has found it's way to the pump after multiple start/stops of the system.

Are load temps dramatically different from several days ago?

Do they take a very long time to come down after load moves to idle? (ex: load temps should drop several Celsius in the first few seconds after load diminishes and continue to drop for 30-60 sec)

Do temps slowly climb higher and higher while the PC is doing nothing but idling for 5-10 minutes?

OfficialKapn

Reputable
Sep 15, 2019
Have you moved the PC at all? I'm talking like from room to room or even further?

Either way, could be air that has found it's way to the pump after multiple start/stops of the system.

Are load temps dramatically different from several days ago?

Do they take a very long time to come down after load moves to idle? (ex: load temps should drop several Celsius in the first few seconds after load diminishes and continue to drop for 30-60 sec)

Do temps slowly climb higher and higher while the PC is doing nothing but idling for 5-10 minutes?
I didnt move my pc, however I restarted it multiple times.

When Idle the temps are at about 40 deg. Cel.
When load at about 50-70 (73 was max. while benchmarking)

I think it takes about 10 sec to come down
and the temps aren't really climbing higher when Idle.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
OK, knowing whether it was moved physically does help, because it can indicate if air dislodged from the radiator and is airlocking the pump. Pumps usually can only move coolant, and do a very poor job at moving air. Sometimes this causes impeller cavitation which sounds like gurgling or grinding.

Sounds like the pump and cooler are working normally other than the noises you are experiencing.

Another question: how is the radiator mounted in your case? How is it positioned...front panel? Top panel? If front panel, detail on whether tubing is at the top or bottom?

OfficialKapn

Reputable
Sep 15, 2019
OK, knowing whether it was moved physically does help, because it can indicate if air dislodged from the radiator and is airlocking the pump. Pumps usually can only move coolant, and do a very poor job at moving air. Sometimes this causes impeller cavitation which sounds like gurgling or grinding.

Sounds like the pump and cooler are working normally other than the noises you are experiencing.

Another question: how is the radiator mounted in your case? How is it positioned...front panel? Top panel? If front panel, detail on whether tubing is at the top or bottom?
So the noices are coming from the upper part of the radiator (though I'm not 100% sure) ,it is placed at the front and the tubing is coming from the top.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
OK, so this coincides with what I actually wondered what was taking place. There is likely an air gap at the radiator inlet due to how the cooler is oriented and the pump doesn't move coolant fast enough to displace it anywhere else. All AIOs have some air in them because they never seem to be 100% filled of coolant...don't ask me why, but I would venture to say its part of the automated filling and assembly process and likely for some reason such as 'to account for expansion and contraction'.

Either way, there is likely an air pocket just inside the radiator inlet and when the coolant is moving, it hits the air void, then the coolant level below, making a dripping or drizzle noise...possibly like a steady stream or constant, fast dripping. There isn't much to worry about other than the noise it is making could possibly be an annoyance. To change this, you could rotate the radiator mount so the coolant tubes are 'down' rather than 'up'. The air would migrate to the other end of the radiator at the U-bend and just stay there, instead.

OfficialKapn

Reputable
Sep 15, 2019
OK, so this coincides with what I actually wondered what was taking place. There is likely an air gap at the radiator inlet due to how the cooler is oriented and the pump doesn't move coolant fast enough to displace it anywhere else. All AIOs have some air in them because they never seem to be 100% filled of coolant...don't ask me why, but I would venture to say its part of the automated filling and assembly process and likely for some reason such as 'to account for expansion and contraction'.

Either way, there is likely an air pocket just inside the radiator inlet and when the coolant is moving, it hits the air void, then the coolant level below, making a dripping or drizzle noise...possibly like a steady stream or constant, fast dripping. There isn't much to worry about other than the noise it is making could possibly be an annoyance. To change this, you could rotate the radiator mount so the coolant tubes are 'down' rather than 'up'. The air would migrate to the other end of the radiator at the U-bend and just stay there, instead.
I moved the radiator a bit around and it has gotten better a lot.
Thank you for all the help

Last edited: