[SOLVED] Air cooler for 5800X (OC) in 2022?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
Just upgraded my CPU from 2700 to 5800X. Turns out Wraith Prism barely hold the heat of this beast.
Just a plain gaming is (not) fine. It can hold the heat, barely (85'C - 88'C).

The problems are;
1) I usually do more than gaming in one time. And I'm also interested in overclocking the 5800X.

2) I don't want anything big (like Noctua NH D15). I want the cooler to stay compact that it doesn't blocks / hides my RAM slots (MSI X570-A PRO).

3) Keep it air please. I don't want to risk any leakage from liquid cooler.

RGB is meh. I don't care if it doesn't include it (preferably), and won't be bothered if it does.
My budget is around €150 . €170 at max.

Any recommendation will be appreciated thanks :>

UPDATE

3) Preferably air cooler, but AIO liquid cooler is acceptable

You can ignore my case space restriction as I'm going to buy new larger case that could fit anything stuffed inside.

My main goal is to find a cooler that can chill 5800X on it's OC config
Reason for 2# problem: I often need to access the RAM slot directly by hand. So it's a must that the cooler doesn't block or hide / stand above the RAM slot.

UPDATE 2
For anyone who managed their way upon this thread, here's something I found on reddit to help you choosing a cooler for the 5000 series by Robert Hallock (source)
vgRsY4p.jpg

Last edited:
I think the Scythe Mugen 5 and the Scythe Fuma will fit your case....supposedly both 154.5 mm.

Unfortunately, the Noctua site doesn't have a simple web page where you can view all Noctua coolers in height order. The better Noctuas are either dual tower or above 156 mm in height. If you want a Noctua under say 150 mm, you may be limited to "down-blower" type coolers or the U9S. I've used a U12S and a U9S and have found that the shorter U9S is about 5 or 6 degrees hotter in a given situation than the U12S.

The U9S is 125 mm tall.

The Scythes are not as heavy as the Noctua DH-15, but I don't know where you draw the line on weight.

I'm guessing they are AMD compatible.

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
Think about it.
The radiator size of a 120 aio cooler is about the same size of the radiator on the H7 cooler.
The cooling potential will be similar.
To some extent the performance of a cooler can be increased by using a much stronger fan pushing cooling air through the radiator. This will increase the noise in the system.
There may be some small twin tower air coolers that use 92mm high rpm fans.

What is the make/model of your ram?
Do you know how tall it is?
I think I found a candidate, it is the scythe ninja5 :
https://www.newegg.com/scythe-scnj-5000/p/13C-0004-00079?Item=9SIA9ZH8A62252
The radiator bulk looks good.
But ram clearance may be an issue.
It could be solved by using a 92mm fan in front.

I did some research on the web
Turns out there're other option than 120mm AIO and compact tower:
Top flow cooler
What I found to be the strongest top flow cooler is Be Quiet Dark Rock TF 2

My RAM is Corsair CMN32GX4M2Z3600C16

I think the Scythe Mugen 5 and the Scythe Fuma will fit your case....supposedly both 154.5 mm.

Unfortunately, the Noctua site doesn't have a simple web page where you can view all Noctua coolers in height order. The better Noctuas are either dual tower or above 156 mm in height. If you want a Noctua under say 150 mm, you may be limited to "down-blower" type coolers or the U9S. I've used a U12S and a U9S and have found that the shorter U9S is about 5 or 6 degrees hotter in a given situation than the U12S.

The U9S is 125 mm tall.

The Scythes are not as heavy as the Noctua DH-15, but I don't know where you draw the line on weight.

Scythe?
Never heard of such brand
Are they good?

Yeah you're right
The U14S clearance was 160mm so it won't fit on my case

"down-blower", you mean top flow?
Are they the same? I'm not sure but if yes then I agree with you

Down blower--I mean the cooler fans blow directly down toward the motherboard; such coolers are typically a lot shorter, not tall at all. Noctua makes a bunch of them, BUT they generally don't cool as well as tower coolers like the U14S that blow sideways. You buy them because tower coolers won't fit.

I have no idea what "top flow" means.

Yes. Some Scythes are quite good. Research them.

Scythe is actually a very good cpu cooler maker.
Their fans are particularly good.
I have installed a scythe kotetsu before and it was quiet and effective.
I would have no problem with scythe.

Top down coolers are not particularly effective, but are necessary in height restrictive installations.
The cooling air is directed through the heat sink fins, either up or down.
That does not direct the a rflow out of the case easily.

Past that, look at the cubic dimensions of the cooling fins. You need a lot of cooling fin cubage to get an effective cooler.

You would think that reviews could definitely find the strongest cooler.
But such reviews are done on a test bench in open air, not in a case with case airflow.

Your ram, I think is 44mm high.
Not outlandish, but more than the more normal 32mm of low profile ram.
Part of the price you pay for RGB bling.

I think you could use the scythe ninja 5 if you replaced the front 120mm fan with a 92mm fan.
The extra radiator size would come closer to what the top air coolers offer.

I think the only really good option is a good case.

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016

The U9S is 125 mm tall.

I took a look at both cooler performance on a review (source)
On Ryzen 9 3900X (suppossedly same TDP with 5800X) shows that they're not meant for OC usage

Sadly enough, Be Quiet Dark Rock TF2 also couldn't handle the heat (source)

Is it just physically impossible to find a fitting cooler for such heat and space I wonder?

Scythe is actually a very good cpu cooler maker.
Their fans are particularly good.
I have installed a scythe kotetsu before and it was quiet and effective.
I would have no problem with scythe.

Top down coolers are not particularly effective, but are necessary in height restrictive installations.
The cooling air is directed through the heat sink fins, either up or down.
That does not direct the a rflow out of the case easily.

Past that, look at the cubic dimensions of the cooling fins. You need a lot of cooling fin cubage to get an effective cooler.

You would think that reviews could definitely find the strongest cooler.
But such reviews are done on a test bench in open air, not in a case with case airflow.

Your ram, I think is 44mm high.
Not outlandish, but more than the more normal 32mm of low profile ram.
Part of the price you pay for RGB bling.

I think you could use the scythe ninja 5 if you replaced the front 120mm fan with a 92mm fan.
The extra radiator size would come closer to what the top air coolers offer.

I think the only really good option is a good case.

Ugh, I can't help it since it was the cheapest 3600MHz with 16CL RAM that's on stock back then
Not like I want the RGB part, even now I turned it off

I also took a look at Scythe Ninja 5 review (source)
It looks like it's struggling on i7-8700K, a 95W TDP CPU with 6 cores
Not to mention with 5800X's 105W TDP and 8 cores

I agree, looks like it's really hard to find a good cooler for 5800X with such restricting case
I guess it's inevitable to buy a new bigger case later on

For now, let's ignore my PC case restriction
In exchange, the RAM clearance must be good
When I said RAM clearance, I mean it must not block the RAM view as I often need to access the RAM slot

Once again, I don't mind AIO if it offers better cooling
Although I still prefer air cooler, my goal is to find a great performance cooler that can chill 5800X's hell OCed

So far, the candidates are:
Corsair H150i
Corsair H115i
Noctua NH U12A
Noctua NH U14S

There is a good section on the noctua web site where it explains their NSPR cooling capability ratings.
NH-U12A at 169 is marginally stronger than NH-U14s at 162.
No cooler(excepting phase change units) actually chill a cpu.
All they can do is extract heat from the cpu die and hope that you have a good way to get it out of the case.

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
There is a good section on the noctua web site where it explains their NSPR cooling capability ratings.
NH-U12A at 169 is marginally stronger than NH-U14s at 162.
No cooler(excepting phase change units) actually chill a cpu.
All they can do is extract heat from the cpu die and hope that you have a good way to get it out of the case.
Right
so it's actually better cooling performance than the NH-U14s?
The NH-U12A struggles a little bit (90'C) on OC 8700K, makes me wonder how it'll be with 5800X

Unless you are planning on that duct tape the Corsair h115i is 2x140mm /280mm.
Like I said I won't haha
I'll buy a better case later on, for now the only problem is the RAM clearance
I've updated the original post to make it clear what I mean

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
Mine 2 cents - Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler for 5800X CPU cooling. I have exactly this combination. Works amazingly even with ambient temp +34C at summer day, being noticeably quiet with that.
Dark Rock Pro 4 have issue with RAM clearance

But finally, another 5800X owner
How much when underload on stock with that?

Have you tried OC your 5800X?
How hot does it run with Dark Rock Pro 4 on OC?

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
Update.
I just read this review of the Noctua NH-U12A and a I9-12900K.
It looks to me like you could do well with it.
https://lanoc.org/review/cooling/8440-noctua-nh-u12a-chromax-black
97'C on 12900K

12900K has 20W more TDP (125W) and 8 more cores (16 cores) than 5800X (105W TDP and 8 cores)
5800X starts throttling down at 90'C
Honestly it's hard to predict with such difference: Will 5800X temp. lower than 90'C when paired with U12A?

But I guess this is the only cooler that could fit my case, doesn't block the RAM slot, and is powerful

Thanks for finding this. I'm convinced.

97'C on 12900K

12900K has 20W more TDP (125W) and 8 more cores (16 cores) than 5800X (105W TDP and 8 cores)
5800X starts throttling down at 90'C
Honestly it's hard to predict with such difference: Will 5800X temp. lower than 90'C when paired with U12A?

But I guess this is the only cooler that could fit my case, doesn't block the RAM slot, and is powerful

Thanks for finding this. I'm convinced.

Here's another quote I found on Tom's Hardware within the last 2 or 3 weeks regarding the U12A and the 12900K. I'm considering a rebuild myself with air cooling, so I saved this quote to help me evaluate cooling.

"I'm running a 12900k on a u12a, I get 70 to 72C on cinebench R20 and around 75-78 on cinebench r23. That's at 204 to 230watts."

Make of it what you will.