dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
Just upgraded my CPU from 2700 to 5800X. Turns out Wraith Prism barely hold the heat of this beast.
Just a plain gaming is (not) fine. It can hold the heat, barely (85'C - 88'C).

The problems are;
1) I usually do more than gaming in one time. And I'm also interested in overclocking the 5800X.

2) I don't want anything big (like Noctua NH D15). I want the cooler to stay compact that it doesn't blocks / hides my RAM slots (MSI X570-A PRO).

3) Keep it air please. I don't want to risk any leakage from liquid cooler.

RGB is meh. I don't care if it doesn't include it (preferably), and won't be bothered if it does.
My budget is around €150 . €170 at max.

Any recommendation will be appreciated thanks :>

UPDATE

3) Preferably air cooler, but AIO liquid cooler is acceptable

You can ignore my case space restriction as I'm going to buy new larger case that could fit anything stuffed inside.

My main goal is to find a cooler that can chill 5800X on it's OC config
Reason for 2# problem: I often need to access the RAM slot directly by hand. So it's a must that the cooler doesn't block or hide / stand above the RAM slot.

UPDATE 2
For anyone who managed their way upon this thread, here's something I found on reddit to help you choosing a cooler for the 5000 series by Robert Hallock (source)
vgRsY4p.jpg

Last edited:
I'd look at single tower coolers from Noctua, such as the U14S or U12S.

Or from Be Quiet.

But........which will fit will depend on the width of your case. You haven't said.

If your case is really narrow, you may have to avoid tower coolers entirely and go with one that blows down toward the motherboard.

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
I'd look at single tower coolers from Noctua, such as the U14S or U12S.

Or from Be Quiet.

But........which will fit will depend on the width of your case. You haven't said.

If your case is really narrow, you may have to avoid tower coolers entirely and go with one that blows down toward the motherboard.

My case would fit tower for sure.
A standard tower, although I don't know whether there are any tower that's not standard (size wise).
I'll take a look at those 2 Noctuas. Which one do you suggest from Be Quiet?

You need to identify your case before any recommendation can be made.

A 160 mm tall cooler is useless if your case will not accept coolers taller than 156 mm.

Cases differ in width. I got a narrower case so I had to move to a shorter cooler.

The maximum permissible cooler height is usually stated in the case specifications.

Cooler heights are part of their specifications noted on the manufacturer's site.

Last edited:

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
Dimensions (W x D x H)
Chassis – 190 x 370 x 41 Omm
Total - 200 x 390 x 420mm

Clearances
CPU Cooler (Max) - 156mm

Apparently my case is a mid-tower.

Do you think my only option here is liquid cooler?
If there's no air cooler that can fit my case + hold the heat when I overclock the 5800X, I can compromise with liquid cooler.

Just upgraded my CPU from 2700 to 5800X. Turns out Wraith Prism barely hold the heat of this beast.
Just a plain gaming is (not) fine. It can hold the heat, barely (85'C - 88'C).

The problems are;
1) I usually do more than gaming in one time. And I'm also interested in overclocking the 5800X.

2) I don't want anything big (like Noctua NH D15). I want the cooler to stay compact that it doesn't blocks / hides my RAM slots (MSI X570-A PRO).

3) Keep it air please. I don't want to risk any leakage from liquid cooler*.

RGB is meh. I don't care if it doesn't include it (preferably), and won't be bothered if it does.
My budget is around €150 . €170 at max.

*if you could strongly recommend a liquid cooler that invalidates my concern I would consider it seriously.

Any recommendation will be appreciated thanks :>

The Wraith Prism cooler is inadequate for the 5800x and I doubt you will find an Air cooler (even the Noctua NH D15) would not cope under load for extended periods especially when Overclocked.
Do yourself a favor and get an AIO water cooler and dispel the myth that they leak.
If you can find a report of ONE leak I would be surprised. Yes there have been cases in the distant past which were compensated for and some were user error. Many of the reputable brands are manufactured from ASETEK research and development and are proven safe to use.
List the CASE you are using and I will recommend a decent dual rad AIO that will fit and provide adequate cooling for your Overclocked 5800X.

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
The Wraith Prism cooler is inadequate for the 5800x and I doubt you will find an Air cooler (even the Noctua NH D15) would not cope under load for extended periods especially when Overclocked.
Do yourself a favor and get an AIO water cooler and dispel the myth that they leak.
If you can find a report of ONE leak I would be surprised. Yes there have been cases in the distant past which were compensated for and some were user error. Many of the reputable brands are manufactured from ASETEK research and development and are proven safe to use.
List the CASE you are using and I will recommend a decent dual rad AIO that will fit and provide adequate cooling for your Overclocked 5800X.
It's already a discontinued product so I can't found it on the internet.

But I somehow managed to get details of it:
Dimensions (W x D x H)
Chassis – 190 x 370 x 410mm

Cooling Fan
Front (Max) - 120mm x 3
Rear (Max) - 120mm x 1
PSU Cover (Max) - 120mm x 2

Clearances
CPU Cooler (Max) - 156mm
GPU / VGA (Max) - 365mm

I'm not entirely against liquid cooler. If you believe my concern were unbased, feel free to suggest me a good AIO liquid cooler.
If possible, it's one from a renown / respectable brand so I could feel safe.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Why OC? There's not a single argument that can be made that's indisputable when it comes to Ryzens and OC. They can all be shot down. It's a Ryzen, not an intel. Ryzen does better when left to its own devices, and underclocked.

My 3700x, under a full custom loop, OC'd to 4.4GHz all cores with PBO, Cinebench R20 5100 at 84°C.
Underclocked, 4.29GHz all cores without PBO, Cinebench R20 5101 at 62°C.

Same Real performance, 22°C drop in temps and lower voltages.

So why OC? Why force a Ryzen to try and behave like an intel?

Nothing wrong with liquid cooling. It got a bad reputation due to early Corsair designs, nowadays that's almost null and void with decent quality coolers. Everything ever manufactured, made, or gotten ahold of by human hands has a failure rate. It's an undeniable fact, there are always failures.

If you think about a 0.1% failure rate (that's tiny!, 0.1%). Most companies would kill for a failure rate that small. And Corsair made a million aios last year. That's 1000 failures. Out of that 1000, 90% griped and moaned to friends, simply replaced it or otherwise did nothing really about it. That leaves 100 failures where ppl made a stink. In here, on reddit, got some minor press. Except for 1 person. They made a YouTube video showing damage, explaining all the issues and problems they encured, and played on your righteous sympathies! And got a million hits.

Now there's 999,900 ppl out there lambasting liquid cooling, claiming it'll leak, advising all the damage it'll cause, it's the Devil! Stay away from liquid coolers. And not a single one has ever owned a liquid cooler. Nothing but mouthpieces passing on info from 1 persons experience.

Now show me a YouTube video made by one of the 999,000 owners that bought a Corsair aio last year and didn't have a failure.

It's 0.1%. A grain of sand that the internet and clueless ppl have made seem like Mt. Everest.

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
Unfortunately without knowing your case, I am reluctant to advise on what will fit.
A good AIO would be a Corsair iCUE H100i Elite CAPELLIX as a min for moderate Overclock or H115i to provide for a max Overclock in a mid tower case.
Other decent AIOs are NZXT and EVGA. There are many more.
If you can, take a photo of your case and someone might recognize it so better advice can be given.
Abkon core Babylon
unknown.png
DSC_0055.JPG

If there're no better candidate I think I'll go with the H115i

Why OC? There's not a single argument that can be made that's indisputable when it comes to Ryzens and OC. They can all be shot down. It's a Ryzen, not an intel. Ryzen does better when left to its own devices, and underclocked.

My 3700x, under a full custom loop, OC'd to 4.4GHz all cores with PBO, Cinebench R20 5100 at 84°C.
Underclocked, 4.29GHz all cores without PBO, Cinebench R20 5101 at 62°C.

Same Real performance, 22°C drop in temps and lower voltages.

So why OC? Why force a Ryzen to try and behave like an intel?
Because I want to should be enough for the reason.
I know I'm being illogical from your POV, but know that it's just my hobby to make my device goes beyond 100%.

Nothing wrong with liquid cooling. It got a bad reputation due to early Corsair designs, nowadays that's almost null and void with decent quality coolers. Everything ever manufactured, made, or gotten ahold of by human hands has a failure rate. It's an undeniable fact, there are always failures.

If you think about a 0.1% failure rate (that's tiny!, 0.1%). Most companies would kill for a failure rate that small. And Corsair made a million aios last year. That's 1000 failures. Out of that 1000, 90% griped and moaned to friends, simply replaced it or otherwise did nothing really about it. That leaves 100 failures where ppl made a stink. In here, on reddit, got some minor press. Except for 1 person. They made a YouTube video showing damage, explaining all the issues and problems they encured, and played on your righteous sympathies! And got a million hits.

Now there's 999,900 ppl out there lambasting liquid cooling, claiming it'll leak, advising all the damage it'll cause, it's the Devil! Stay away from liquid coolers. And not a single one has ever owned a liquid cooler. Nothing but mouthpieces passing on info from 1 persons experience.

Now show me a YouTube video made by one of the 999,000 owners that bought a Corsair aio last year and didn't have a failure.

It's 0.1%. A grain of sand that the internet and clueless ppl have made seem like Mt. Everest.
Alright. Sure, let's say my concern were invalid and unbased then.
Do you have anything to recommend? if 5800X were that powerful then it's true air cooler would be insufficient or hard to find unless the size were a size of behemoth (Noctua NH D15). Then I would take the liquid cooler if there're no other choice.

Abkon core Babylon
unknown.png
If there're no better candidate I think I'll go with the H115i
I did some research and your Case is still available thru Tonix computer in Indonesia.
To be 100%sure you can contact them as the specs (regarding rad spacing) for your case I could not find. I think the H115i should fit your case.

BTW: It is perfectly OK to get the most from your system and I have Overclocked several Ryzen CPUs including the 5800X. The 5800X has a base clock of 3.8 GHz and boosts to 4.7Ghz. I found an all core Overclock to 4.2 - 4.5GHz (depending on the sample CPU and cooler) best with boost function disabled and at 3.5V CORE voltage to be optimum for stability/performance and temperature.

Last edited:

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
I did some research and your Case is still available thru Tonix computer in Indonesia.
To be 100%sure you can contact them as the specs (regarding rad spacing) for your case I could not find. I think the H115i should fit your case.

BTW: It is perfectly OK to get the most from your system and I have Overclocked several Ryzen CPUs including the 5800X. The 5800X has a base clock of 3.8 GHz and boosts to 4.7Ghz. I found an all core Overclock to 4.2 - 4.5GHz (depending on the sample CPU and cooler) best with boost function disabled and at 3.5V CORE voltage to be optimum for stability/performance and temperature.
Right...
I already got my case specification so I'm not sure what else to ask there, no?

Here's full specification that I got from the internet
Material
Outlook - ABS + Steel
Body - Steel
Side Panel - Left tempered glass / Right steel panel

Dimensions (W x D x H)
Chassis – 190 x 370 x 41 Omm

Weight
4.3 kg

Motherboard Support
ATX / Micro ATX / Mini ITX

Power Supply Support
ATX

Expansion Slots

Drive Bays Support
3.5" HDD - (Max) 2
2.5" SSD - (Max) 2

I/0 Port
USB 3.ox 1 / USB 1.1 x 2 / LED / HD AUDIO / Mic

Cooling Fan
Front (Max) - 120mm x 3
Rear (Max) - 120mm x 1
PSU Cover (Max) - 120mm x 2

Clearances
CPU Cooler (Max) - 156mm
GPU / VGA (Max) - 365mm
And what is rad spacing? Honestly I'm not well versed on PC case so pardon on my end.

Also for H115i, if I'm not mistaken it's with 140mm fan, right? Do you think it will fit my case when the specified max is 120mm?
Well, when push comes to shove I would just duct tape them on top

But if possible, I would like for one that would fit my case (120mm). 3 fans is fine too since my case have 3 slot on front so I could place it there.

By RAD spacing I mean mounting hole spacing and also thickness of RAD.
There are variations so it's best to be sure.

"Also for H115i, if I'm not mistaken it's with 140mm fan, right? Do you think it will fit my case when the specified max is 120mm?
Well, when push comes to shove I would just duct tape them on top" End quote.

H115i has ML 140mm fans and 180mm thick . 120mm RAD spacing should fit however do not consider duct taping.

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
By RAD spacing I mean mounting hole spacing and also thickness of RAD.
There are variations so it's best to be sure.

"Also for H115i, if I'm not mistaken it's with 140mm fan, right? Do you think it will fit my case when the specified max is 120mm?
Well, when push comes to shove I would just duct tape them on top" End quote.

H115i has ML 140mm fans and 180mm thick . 120mm RAD spacing should fit however do not consider duct taping.
Out of curiousity, why I shouldn't duct tape it?
Well, I could place them on 2 bottom / above the PSU fans

Also, I asked them for specifications. Got something that I already have / know:
unknown.png

Out of curiousity, why I shouldn't duct tape it?
I don't trust duct tape as some are electrically conductive (adhesive aluminium foil) and besides it looks nasty and can peal. The plastic variant may be OK but using it in your situation is not a proper solution. Get it right in the first place with a correct fit is the way to go IMO.
I am cautious to recommend anything 100% as I can't be with your case and there are those here who would love to accuse me of misinformation if they could.
Get the H115i but be prepared to return it if it don't fit.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Do you have anything to recommend? if 5800X were that powerful then it's true air cooler would be insufficient or hard to find unless the size were a size of behemoth (Noctua NH D15). Then I would take the liquid cooler if there're no other choice.
Well, it's a Ryzen not an intel and that makes a big difference. The 5800x is a 95w cpu. Throw it to the wall, push it as hard as you can, and it'll still only use 95w. If you enable PBO, that raises the stock limits, but otherwise doesn't change the behavior of the cpu. If you ram a stress test with and without PBO, you'll generally get the same 95w result. OC will force the cpu upto possibly the sockets wattage limit of 142w. Which is chump change

An intel xx900K cpu will run 125w, and can be pushed upwards of 250w with OC. Your 5800x is vastly more efficient.

Ryzens are efficiency engines. They don't do so well as static applications. They work by maintaining a balance between loads, power and temps. If temps get higher than they'd like for the load, (after 60°C) they limit clock speeds and power used on a per core basis. Similarly, they'll limit power if temps are good but load is too high. Maintains best performance of cpu within limits.

By adding a more efficient cooler, you lower temp probability. So the cpu has room to add clock speeds and power to pick up the difference. At @ 95w the cpu reaches power limits and thats when temps start dropping for the load.

The Wraith Prism is a 150w cooler, it goes toe to toe with a hyper212 and a little better. It's problems is ppl perceive that a better cooler will should drop temps. It's a Ryzen, temps don't drop. They'll stay somewhat the same but the cpu now has the leg room to push a couple more cores a little higher on the boost.

OC on a Ryzen is generally pointless other than Extreme OC, the cpu will stick to its limits. They actually 'think' slower per clock when forced higher. IPC drops with higher temps and higher power usage.

60°C is optimum operating temp. A Ryzen is at maximum efficiency at that temp, best real performance. Above that it'll limit cores max boost. Not throttling back, like an intel will purposely downclock, a Ryzen will just limit the amount of boost applied starting with the worst cores. So if the Wraith is at 80°C, 4 cores might be at 4.6, but 2 will be at 4.5 and 2 at 4.4GHz. Adding a better cooler, you get 6 cores at 4.6 and 2 at 4.5GHz, but temp is still 80°. It's only when the cpu decides that that's the boost limits because of power or load use, that a better cooler will then be efficient enough to drop temps.

You might think the 5800x is a 'Beast', and it is, but from a power use standpoint it's really a puppy compared to Intels 'Beasts'.

Well, it's a Ryzen not an intel and that makes a big difference. The 5800x is a 95w cpu. Throw it to the wall, push it as hard as you can, and it'll still only use 95w. If you enable PBO, that raises the stock limits, but otherwise doesn't change the behavior of the cpu. If you ram a stress test with and without PBO, you'll generally get the same 95w result. OC will force the cpu upto possibly the sockets wattage limit of 142w. Which is chump change

An intel xx900K cpu will run 125w, and can be pushed upwards of 250w with OC. Your 5800x is vastly more efficient.

Ryzens are efficiency engines. They don't do so well as static applications. They work by maintaining a balance between loads, power and temps. If temps get higher than they'd like for the load, (after 60°C) they limit clock speeds and power used on a per core basis. Similarly, they'll limit power if temps are good but load is too high. Maintains best performance of cpu within limits.

By adding a more efficient cooler, you lower temp probability. So the cpu has room to add clock speeds and power to pick up the difference. At @ 95w the cpu reaches power limits and thats when temps start dropping for the load.

The Wraith Prism is a 150w cooler, it goes toe to toe with a hyper212 and a little better. It's problems is ppl perceive that a better cooler will should drop temps. It's a Ryzen, temps don't drop. They'll stay somewhat the same but the cpu now has the leg room to push a couple more cores a little higher on the boost.

OC on a Ryzen is generally pointless other than Extreme OC, the cpu will stick to its limits. They actually 'think' slower per clock when forced higher. IPC drops with higher temps and higher power usage.

60°C is optimum operating temp. A Ryzen is at maximum efficiency at that temp, best real performance. Above that it'll limit cores max boost. Not throttling back, like an intel will purposely downclock, a Ryzen will just limit the amount of boost applied starting with the worst cores. So if the Wraith is at 80°C, 4 cores might be at 4.6, but 2 will be at 4.5 and 2 at 4.4GHz. Adding a better cooler, you get 6 cores at 4.6 and 2 at 4.5GHz, but temp is still 80°. It's only when the cpu decides that that's the boost limits because of power or load use, that a better cooler will then be efficient enough to drop temps.

You might think the 5800x is a 'Beast', and it is, but from a power use standpoint it's really a puppy compared to Intels 'Beasts'.

I just have to answer this BS.
Check the specs of the Ryzen 5800X and you will see it has a TDP of 105W.
https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-5800x

Quote/
It's problems is ppl perceive that a better cooler will should drop temps. It's a Ryzen, temps don't drop.
End Quote

Are you for real. Temps can/are dropped considerably with the correct cooler when the CPU is under load and Overclocked. This applies to any CPU period.

I would also like to know where you get your information that 60C is optimum operating temp. I am tempted to think this is another of your wild opinions.

The rest of your biased rant is mostly opinion and we all have those however yours are not objective nor based on fact and usually TLDR.

OH and AMD BTW have tipped the scales long ago if you haven't heard.

Last edited:

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
I don't trust duct tape as some are electrically conductive (adhesive aluminium foil) and besides it looks nasty and can peal. The plastic variant may be OK but using it in your situation is not a proper solution. Get it right in the first place with a correct fit is the way to go IMO.
I am cautious to recommend anything 100% as I can't be with your case and there are those here who would love to accuse me of misinformation if they could.
Get the H115i but be prepared to return it if it don't fit.

Noted. Didn't know about this.
Probably would use wire or ties than duct tape.
Also, I took a look at H115i specifications on Corsair's official website and it said it's using 140mm fans,
meanwhile H150i uses 120mm fans.
Do you think H150i fits better for my case since it's been specified for 120mm max fan slot?

Ryzen 7 5800X TDP is 105W (Source)
Wraith Prism is a 105W cooler.
Although no claim from AMD themself, this value is taken from the fact that the highest CPU TDP that's bundled with the Wraith Prism (Ryzen 9 3900X) is 105W (Source) (2nd Source)

60'C is not the optimum operating temperature for Ryzen. At least not for the 5x00X lineup:
Robert Hallock: Yes. I want to be clear with everyone that AMD views temps up to 90C (5800X/5900X/5950X) and 95C (5600X) as typical and by design for full load conditions. Having a higher maximum temperature supported by the silicon and firmware allows the CPU to pursue higher and longer boost performance before the algorithm pulls back for thermal reasons.
Source
It's been confirmed that 90'C is a normal working temperature for the 5x00X lineup, so the Wraith Prism actually do it's job (although barely).

I don't know for 5800X.
But at least I've tried with 2700 and the CPU clearly doesn't stick to its limits (4.0GHz OC) and it's pumping out more performance than it's stock.

Op
As far as leaks go I have Never had a leak on any of the Corsair coolers that I have used which are: h60, h80i, h100iv2, 2x h110i (1 still in use on my son's 3600) and my current cooler on my 3600x the h150i Elite Capellix.
Ps. Please no duct tape LoL
Noted, thanks for telling me about the H150i

Okay, don't worry I won't duct tape anymore haha

Sorry to say this but the Case itself is several hamping you cooling.

Yes you could go with a h150i but with the psu cover there the tubes would most likely have to be tubes up mounting,
Which is Not optimal mounting.

On top of that there are no top fan mounts to help remove the heat except 1 single rear exhaust fan.

Your 2070 will run higher temps because of the heat coming from the rad dumping it into the case and not enough exhausting out.
Even going with a 240mm 2x120 unit tubes mounted down would still dump all the heat inside the case with 1 rear exhaust fan.

I would say a better case that has better cooling options would help your choices of cooling be it Aio or Air.

Any cooler, be it air or aio needs a radiator to do the heat exchange.
The larger the radiator, the better the potential cooling.
Any way you look at it, you are going to have to fit a largish radiator of some kind to get the max potential out of your 5800x.

For air, noctua maintains a cpu suitability list.
Here is the link for the 5800x:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/AMD-Ryzen-7-5800X-1046
The most compact suitable cooler would be the NH-U12A which, unfortunately is 158mm tall.
You can get an idea of what other type coolers could do.

About the best lower height cpu cooler around would be the cryorig H7 at 145mm:
http://www.cryorig.com/h7plus.php
Would it do the job?
IDK, the radiator size is a bit compromised.
But, it should be better than the stock cooler.

You can also replace the three front intakes with stronger(noisier) fans.
That would help the cpu and the gpu.

While I advocate air when it can do the job, here is a situation where a 240/360 aio would be a better fit.
With a front mounted radiator, your cpu would be cooled as well as possible, certainly better than air.
Your graphics card and motherboard vrm cooling will suffer a bit, but your objective of best cpu cooling would be met.

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
Sorry to say this but the Case itself is several hamping you cooling.

Yes you could go with a h150i but with the psu cover there the tubes would most likely have to be tubes up mounting,
Which is Not optimal mounting.

On top of that there are no top fan mounts to help remove the heat except 1 single rear exhaust fan.

Your 2070 will run higher temps because of the heat coming from the rad dumping it into the case and not enough exhausting out.
Even going with a 240mm 2x120 unit tubes mounted down would still dump all the heat inside the case with 1 rear exhaust fan.

I would say a better case that has better cooling options would help your choices of cooling be it Aio or Air.
Seems like it
I also had the same thought about it: Where will the hot air from the radiator go to?
This case's exhaust is just the back fan, whereas all of the other fans act as intake
And also it's probably safe to say that a liquid AIO with single fan is nowhere enough for 5800X
Let's ignore the case problem for now and focus on the cooler instead.
Worst case scenario I would have to spend more to buy a better case, but that's for later thought

Any cooler, be it air or aio needs a radiator to do the heat exchange.
The larger the radiator, the better the potential cooling.
Any way you look at it, you are going to have to fit a largish radiator of some kind to get the max potential out of your 5800x.

For air, noctua maintains a cpu suitability list.
Here is the link for the 5800x:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/AMD-Ryzen-7-5800X-1046
The most compact suitable cooler would be the NH-U12A which, unfortunately is 158mm tall.
You can get an idea of what other type coolers could do.

About the best lower height cpu cooler around would be the cryorig H7 at 145mm:
http://www.cryorig.com/h7plus.php
Would it do the job?
IDK, the radiator size is a bit compromised.
But, it should be better than the stock cooler.

You can also replace the three front intakes with stronger(noisier) fans.
That would help the cpu and the gpu.

While I advocate air when it can do the job, here is a situation where a 240/360 aio would be a better fit.
With a front mounted radiator, your cpu would be cooled as well as possible, certainly better than air.
Your graphics card and motherboard vrm cooling will suffer a bit, but your objective of best cpu cooling would be met.
Interesting site.
Didn't know noctua had anything like that compatibility centre.
Wish the other competitors would have it like them (or do they?)
From there, I got the impression that NH-U14S would suffice for this job, although I'm a little bit skeptical on it's RAM clearance.

From that point, it looks like Cryorig H7 passed the clearance problem.
But one problem here, is that I can't find any review with newer CPU (at least intel's 9th gen i7 or AMD's 3th gen Ryzen 7).
So I'm afraid that this cooler is aimed for lower TDP / core count processors unlike the 5800X.

I mentioned the H7 because I recall that it did reasonably well for a compact cooler.
Likely better than your stock wraith cooler, that is all.
Yes, the noctua NH-U14s would do the job, but it is 165mm high.
As it turns out, if you have 160mm available, the NH-D15s is shorter at 16omm and will clear ram as tall as 65mm.
There is no way to get big air into your restricted case.

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
I mentioned the H7 because I recall that it did reasonably well for a compact cooler.
Likely better than your stock wraith cooler, that is all.
Yes, the noctua NH-U14s would do the job, but it is 165mm high.
As it turns out, if you have 160mm available, the NH-D15s is shorter at 16omm and will clear ram as tall as 65mm.
There is no way to get big air into your restricted case.
Right, I also realized that my limitation mostly comes from my small case
So the ideals would be a 120mm AIO liquid cooler or to find a really good compact air cooler

My goal is to find a cooler that can handle 5800X running OCed within it's acceptable temp (below 90'C)
but with size limitation from my case, I guess it's like this:
Worse case scenario: I have to sacrifice the RAM clearance
WORST case scenario: I have to buy a bigger PC case

Think about it.
The radiator size of a 120 aio cooler is about the same size of the radiator on the H7 cooler.
The cooling potential will be similar.
To some extent the performance of a cooler can be increased by using a much stronger fan pushing cooling air through the radiator. This will increase the noise in the system.
There may be some small twin tower air coolers that use 92mm high rpm fans.

What is the make/model of your ram?
Do you know how tall it is?
I think I found a candidate, it is the scythe ninja5 :
https://www.newegg.com/scythe-scnj-5000/p/13C-0004-00079?Item=9SIA9ZH8A62252
The radiator bulk looks good.
But ram clearance may be an issue.
It could be solved by using a 92mm fan in front.

Last edited: