Airport Environment Upgrade v7 on Avsim

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dallas wrote:
> "JimBob"
>> Geeezzz , I wish I'd said that !!!
>
> That's why we call Quilly "the Silver Tongued Devil".
>
> Dallas

....and what Dally does with his tongue is absolutely nobody's business in
this NG :)

--
Quilljar
see http://client.webshots.com/album/194691959rhDQFi

> That's scary... but I wonder if you ran Norton AV now if it would
> find two dormant Trojans that AVG failed to catch? :)
>
> Dallas

I doubt it Dally. I reckon the silly little boys who design the virii know
all about McAvee and Norton as they are so often bundled. AVG seems to be
much easier to work, and mine updates every day automatically and smoothly.

--
Quilljar
see http://client.webshots.com/album/194691959rhDQFi
Do not reply personally, all such emails go into my spam filter

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

pr wrote:

> A few months ago, my Norton Antivirus subscription was about to expire, so
> I opted to try AVG free. With Norton still on my PC, I installed and ran
> AVG's virus scan. AVG turned up two dormant trojans that Norton failed to
> catch.
>
> That was a shocker. I immediately deleted NAV and haven't looked back
> since.

Hi Peter,

I had the same experience. The Norton expired and I loaded AVG free.
AVG immediately found 2 Trojans buried in the file tree. I don't know
what the payware version of AVG does, the free version does all I need.
(I Guess) :)
--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

boB <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote:

> I had the same experience. The Norton expired and I loaded AVG free.
> AVG immediately found 2 Trojans buried in the file tree.

You, too? What's up with Norton?

> I don't know what the payware version of AVG does, the free version
> does all I need. (I Guess) :)

I concluded the same thing. Unlike the differences between Zone Alarm free
and Pro, AVG doesn't appear to really offer any beneficial feature by going
pro.

--
Peter

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 05:46:27 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> Hum... a little research shows PC Magazine giving Norton Antivirus 2005 -
> 4.5 stars and Editor's Choice.
> They gave AVG Anti-Virus 6.0 - 2 stars and didn't review AVG Anti-Virus 7.0.

AVG doesn't advertise with PC Magazine, so I have to wonder just how
"unbiased" that review was? ;)

Bill

I've been watching AVG out of the corner of my eye for a couple of years now. I've noted far fewer false positives this
year than the year before. So that's an improvement. And 7.0 does seem to be just plain all around better. I still
feel they are playing catch-up but are very quickly in the last year actually catching up. The whole game is going to
change in the next few years anyway:)

Incidentally in a private newsfeed that I subscribe to of AV professionals (I don't claim to be an expert but I do
monitor the experts and have dabbled in the arcane science of virus protection) the same sentiments are mirrored. AVG
has representation in that newsfeed also. The purpose of the newsfeed is to privately distribute AV information on new
viruses before it gets to the public so that updates can be made before the script kiddies can make copies of the latest
and greatest.

IMO I feel that AVG and CA (eTrust) both can improve their scanning engines. I think AVG will make the next leap. It's
harder to do than one might think BTW. McAfee and Norton are both a bit faster yet that has introduced some
peculiarities. None of which I wish to discuss.

Note that yesterday they released the news that SHA1 may have a flaw. Not a very serious one but one that could be a
backdoor over the next year or so to machine security. Certainly to National Security. If I recall correctly something
like 2000 computers could in 16 years crack a SHA1 message. Feel secure? I can think of many governments and companies
that have well over 2000 free computers to put to the task. And then there are the new supercomputers that are just
coming online that could make much shorter work of that task. As they used to say in the NSA - Code breakers get
better, never worse.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message news:TifRd.2924$kU3.2814@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...

> "Quilljar"
>> AVG seems to be
>> much easier to work, and mine updates every day automatically and
> smoothly.
>
> Hum... a little research shows PC Magazine giving Norton Antivirus 2005 -
> 4.5 stars and Editor's Choice.
> They gave AVG Anti-Virus 6.0 - 2 stars and didn't review AVG Anti-Virus 7.0.
>
> http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1738,4796,00.asp
>
> Dallas

> AVG doesn't advertise with PC Magazine, so I have to wonder just how
> "unbiased" that review was? ;)
>
> Bill

Exactly !

Also, the Pro version of AVG gives very quick and very good personal email
advice if needed.

--
Website
http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

>> AVG seems to be
>> much easier to work, and mine updates every day automatically and
> smoothly.

I wish the Free version allowed you to turn this to manual. If you are on
dail up, it is kind of annoying that it pops up as soon as you boot up (when
you aren't yet online. Also, the free version attaches an ad to the bottom
of every outgoing email and there is no way to turn this off. You never see
this and it isn't plainly stated in their license that I can find. That is
the price of "free" I guess ;)

- wrote:
>>> AVG seems to be
>>> much easier to work, and mine updates every day automatically and
>>> smoothly.
>
> I wish the Free version allowed you to turn this to manual. If you
> are on dail up, it is kind of annoying that it pops up as soon as you
> boot up (when you aren't yet online. Also, the free version attaches
> an ad to the bottom of every outgoing email and there is no way to
> turn this off. You never see this and it isn't plainly stated in
> their license that I can find. That is the price of "free" I guess ;)

My wife uses the free one and I have just adjusted it not to come on unless
requested. Have you upgraded to the Free v 7 yet.? AVG are no longer
supporting v6, and v7 seems much more like the Pro version...Delete the old
v6 and try it.

--
Quilly
Website
http://www.quilljar.btinternet.co.uk/
Do not reply personally, false address

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

> My wife uses the free one and I have just adjusted it not to come on
> unless requested.

I must have missed that option. I will go back in and see if I can find it.

Doug