Alan Wake PC Cancelled; X360 More Compelling

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hardwarekid9756

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
This is SO obviously a time-buy. They didn't have the PC port ready in any reasonable time frame, so they're "kicking it out." And then will miraculously release it on PC because of "critical acclaim". This is just a share-grab, money-saving move to get the long-gestated game out of the door.

krantzstone

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008
I have to say that I'm very disappointed, because I enjoyed 'Max Payne' on the PC immensely (admittedly it was a cracked version and I played it years after it came out) and saw the early demos of Alan Wake and the dark mood of the game (while somewhat derivative monster-type) appealed to me. I didn't even know Alan Wake was supposed to come out on the PC until I saw a PC version release date a few weeks ago on either an EB Games or a Futureshop 'game release schedule' board and was thinking that I might get it for PC instead of the 360 since I now have a decent enough computer that rivals the XBox 360 for gaming (although apparently not in the case of 'Lost Planet' - at maxed video settings for my 23" monitor, it majorly stutters in one graphics-heavy part even with a i7 920 and an ati radeon 4850 :( ). One thing I do hate is having to decide whether to buy a game on the 360 or for PC, so I guess in that sense it's good that I don't need to decide anymore, but bad because as other people have said, the PC version is almost always superior to the console version unless the PC version is a port of a game that was developed from the ground up with a console in mind). While 'Alan Wake' didn't look like a game that would be a mind-blowing genre-buster by any stretch of the imagination or one that specifically needed to be on a PC, it did look to be a tense, atmospheric game which might have been well-served by being given a decent PC version. I do agree with those who say no port is better than a bad port, however. There's nothing worse than a game that's been badly ported, and a console-to-PC conversion is usually worse for wear as it does seem 'dumbed down' due to the more simplistic nature of the controller/interface. I'd be curious how Natal will figure into game design for the 360 in the future, and whether 'serious' game designers will incorporate these newer user input controls and if so, how. For now, complex RPGs and RTSs still are better on PC with a mouse and keyboard, but if Project Natal were to be seriously incorporated in a game like Starcraft II, such an RTS might potentially be playable as easily (if not better?!) on the 360 than on the PC. But as someone else pointed out, Microsoft would be wise not to cannibalize too many of their PC games in favour of the 360, or people will start thinking that maybe they don't need Windows OS after all.

jeckena

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
verry disappointed. So upset I even sent pro-pc email to them at feedback@remedygames.com If anyone else wants to join me that would be great. Maybe if they get enough of them they'll get the message

Status
Not open for further replies.