Alan Wake PC Cancelled; X360 More Compelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalfellow

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
I can't help but think their reason: "We ultimately realised that the most compelling way to experience "Alan Wake" was on the XBox 360 platform"
...means something like "we are worried that the game will be less than expected and releasing it on the PC would result in more piracy than the XBox."

It is probably that the hardware scene in the PC world has drastically changed since development started while the Xbox is largely unchanged and that may of prompted various issues of compatibility or performance.

There have been 2 versions of Windows since the development started....

m-manla

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Man another game cancelled on PC. To me though, I want to build a HTPC that will have a good GPU for gaming. I rather play on a big TV (with controllers) rather than at my computer desk.

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Meh I was excited about this game 4 years ago but I had assumed this game was canceled a year ago. This was one of the early announces for DX10 and that has come and gone.

G

"best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen." I have my Xbox hooked up to the same 26" monitor my pc is hooked up to, so their argument really doesn't apply to me at all. I do agree that they are worried about pirates, but xbox games are pirated too. Just another game that pc gamers will miss out on, but we'll be busy playing other games so why bother complaining.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
I've been following this game since 2006. This game is what originally had me hyped about DX10. If Remedy wants to just bend over and take this standing, then they deserve the broken hips. I won't bother buying anything Remedy again.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Should cancel the crapbox is what should happen, outdated kiddie garbage![/citation]

Dude, is there a bigger fanboy out there? Maybe you aren't even a fanboy, but just a 360-hater.

It's funny because you use the same 2 phrases every time.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]touchdowntexas13[/nom]Dude, is there a bigger fanboy out there? Maybe you aren't even a fanboy, but just a 360-hater.It's funny because you use the same 2 phrases every time.[/citation]
That aside, the current Gen of Consoles is way outdated. It's basically keeping PC gaming stuck in the stone ages of DX9. Hell, the ATI graphics powering the 360 is literally 6 hardware generations behind.

Fanboys are usually the first to walk up to the pissing line, but he "is" right.

jurassic1024

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008
I wonder if they will say later it was canceled for fear of piracy? Five years in development is a long time to ignore the PC. It's sad that Microsoft is on board with Remedy. I guess XBOX is more important than Windows. Or making their money back on the XBOX is more important. A fail either way. The more this is allowed to happen without some serious backlash from us, the more developers are gonna follow. Today is a dark day for PC gamers. These are big name titles getting scrapped for some pos console. I hope Alan Wake is a bust and gets a 6.5/10 rating across the web.

barmaley

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
"Some games are more suited for the intimacy of the PC, and others are best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen."

What a load of BS! Most people have DVI connectors on their video cards. Well, get yourself a $6 adapter to turn that into HDMI, if you don't already have one. Then, a wireless XBox controller for windows or wireless Logitech Rumblepad. Ta-Dam! You are gaming on the couch in front of a larger TV screen.

If you make an excuse, at least make a viable one !

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
Oh yeah I forgot, pc gaming is dead. I wish I had remembered that before dropping 300 bucks on a 5850 - I coulda bought a xbox 360 and a case of beer

th_at

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
Ah, that brings back memories.
Tears open the old wound from when Microsoft a$$raped me and so many others by buying Bungie and making "Halo" X-Box-exclusive. Sure, we got sloppy seconds two years later but it just wasn't the same.
So I guess we can expect Alan Wake on the PC at some point. But since the X-Box basically froze hardware requirements for video games in 2005/2006 it's gonna be a long time until MS feels the game is outdated enough.
They must feel really secure about having the PC-OS-market locked in that they trample on the very foundation of that monopoly, DirectX-based gaming.
If I wasn't so lazy I'd start using Linux right now or if I had the money I'd get myself an iMac with beautiful factory calibrated yellow tint.
So I'm once again left to only loathe Microsoft.

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
they'll probably release it as a budget port to pc 2 years after the xbox360 release. by that time, we'll have dx13 hw on pc and the next generation of consoles. :D

hannibal

Distinguished
Most propably true. DX9 port would be easy enough, but I think that Remedy wants real DX11 port and that is too expensive to microsoft, and would make 360 version look too bad in comparison. But it's MS that is payng the bills so that is what they will got. They can charge 50-60$ for 360 version and it will be easier if there is not 30-40$ PC version to "spoil" the fun.
Allan Wake still looks good, so if there is any game behind those graphicks it will be somewhat success even in 360 only format.

Status
Not open for further replies.