Aliens vs. Predator PC DX11 to Surpass Consoles

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

But now DirectX 11 is here, which will widen the gap further between console and PC.

But now DirectX 10 is here, which will widen the gap further between console and PC.

But now DirectX 9 is here, which will widen the gap further between console and PC.

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
[citation][nom]csnyder[/nom]But now DirectX 11 is here, which will widen the gap further between console and PC.But now DirectX 10 is here, which will widen the gap further between console and PC.But now DirectX 9 is here, which will widen the gap further between console and PC....[/citation]

Developers just don't seem to have an insentive to do pc games...if all the money is with consoles, that's where they'll focus. Even then, console games which are ported to pc still look a lot better than on console.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Happy that your video card costs most than a console... or two?
more*

Considering most people already own a PC and then buy a console for $200-$300+ dollars, a $200-$300 video card upgrade that stomps console graphics with higher resolutions and customizable setting (both graphics and the actual game) total cost of owning a PC + Console just doesn't make sense.

I wont even get into the $ saved on being able to use a PC for free online play, no license fees on games, playing any non-DRM video or song created, and other things people do with PCs...

We will never know what DX11 really is until true native DX11 games be released.

It's not about to come true with developers sticking to DX9 development due to consoles... and yeah, until PC games regain it's status, consolidation will always release DX9 games with a DX11 wrapping all over the disc case.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]lifelesspoet[/nom]It will be released roughly 3 months before the next generation of consoles arrive, but what a glorious 3 months it will be.[/citation]

wtf are you talking about..? Next gen consoles? MS isnt even with Natal out yet and Sony needs another 5-6 years to start thinking about it, not to deliver their ciclelife per console of 10 years for the PS3 but they have no other choice in order to make back some money this time around in order to release another console instead of drop out. And Nintendo
stated for the 10th time last week or 2. "There will NOT be a WiiHD" which would also not even be considered next gen this time around.. So I dont get your post at all..

Sad but true, PC gaming has laid back and is making any move only when developers chose to do so and that is IF and WHEN they think that they should make something not just for console(s), but also for the PC anymore. The thing is that hte past few months the requirments from the developers are becoming bigger while they push more the current consoles. Specially with the 360 being so capable for a console for which they develop in such similar way as Windows so things are becoming brighter once again for the PCs. Its bound to happen. Like with the next consoles that wont be around before the least another 3 years ( which i hoped it was any time sooner ) will be very capable and enough to deliver what the then current GPUS will, it will happen the same way all over again.

In all, the PC gaming from now on will be showing its teeth once again on almost everything that will be released, as long as its not a poor port. Dont get me wrong, I love my console gaming but PC gaming was, has been and will always be untouchable. And even if you think futurewise and Natalwise even, Natal was said from Bill himself that will be released for PCs too so its alllll good for us no matter ;). Thank god Natal is from MS cause Sony is PC-tarded. So incompatible...

Manos, the major reason why PC games are so late technologically, right now, is because of the big pile of ... that microsoft try to sell us. The current consoles are not capable, they are the main drawback of the industry. The 360 is a 4 years old tech and isn't even compatible with DX10.

Just look at Crysis DX9 versus DX10... the differences are not huge, but phenomenal. Now the current consoles are not one, not 2, but 3 DX generation behind.... DX10, DX10.1 and DX11.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
By standard timelines we're overdue for a new console, but with dx10 mostly just being a cleaner rewrite of 9 and dx11's features basically being multicore optimizations and tesselation, the graphical improvement we generally see in 4 or 5 years isn't there. Fingers crossed for DX12?

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
If we all remember history, we don't need an expensive video card. First thing is the price on cards eventually comes down to the sub $150 range to run these games very decently. And the second thing I recall is that Crysis was somewhat a dull game. Sure the first few levels were fun to toy with but that's about as deep as it goes. Once it got all into this killing aliens nonsense, it got rather bland. Hmm this game in the title is all about going after aliens. This is one I can easily skip, too bland for my taste. I'd be playing COD MW2 which is one they should have done a lot more work on. It is sad that as far as I can gather from my gameplay experience so far that COD MW2 is too very similar in graphics to a console which is not that overly impressive. These consoles have been out for years and the technology inside them for graphic capabilities is outdated.

The next generation of consoles will catch up to all the DX11 stuff, kinda making this article a little pointless.

The next generation of consoles may deliver better stuff, but PC's still are the king of the hill. You just can't beat the flexibility of a PC, it's well worth the $750 you spend to be able to play almost every title off the shelf.

But the next gen consoles will be more powerful, assuming that the Wii didn't catastrophically damage the perception of "more power = good". At present, Wii's killed any notion that more graphics is better with their controls that are just nothing more than a gimmick and a joke. Who knows, they'll probably rehash the GameCube/Wii hardware yet again which would, you guessed it, provide no incentive for MS/Sony to ramp up their horsepower.

Hiniberus

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
With concoles having propriatry hardware parts that of which cannot be changed or upgraded, the PC will always be better. Soon as a new console comes out, there'll be a better CPU/Gfx card and with that, the console will instantly become redundent.

I also have to agree that PC > PS3 because the updates and stuff tend to be free and you don't have to stay buying crap for maps and stuff like in COD 5

G

The thing with these API's is that MS & co. could come out with DX 1,100 (sic) with a billion hot new features, but NO ONE is going to develop for it seriously without a financially feasible user base. PC gaming is still bound to DX9 techniques quite simply because MS and Sony were both either completely stupid to release DX9 consoles on the very verge of DX10, or they knew DX10 to be not a lot more than a marketing gimmic used to milk the sheeple.

coolkev99

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Here we go again.. *sigh* Doesn't everyone know by now that consoles leap in tech while PC's slowly inch along? When new consoles are released everyone starts talking about the death of PC gaming... but after a couple years or so people start talking about how computer games look sooo much better than console counterparts.

The only difference this time being that the industry isn't as evenly split before and you see developers clinging to console (old) tech longer than usual. It's only a matter of time before DX11 games are common place on PC's and consoles will be stuck at DX9 versions.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Hopefully developers get on the same page as ID software, Atari, Rebellion by making their game with the high resolution high quality graphics for PC then build the console versions with graphics/resolutions they can handle at a good frame rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.