Alienware Calls Dibs on World's Fastest 15-inch

Status
Not open for further replies.

danr22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I was just going to say that. With W860 out now it would destroy that. And not look like a toy at the same time

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
[citation][nom]presidenteody[/nom]but can it play crysis at 2560 x 1600?haha jk i hate that game now[/citation]
-_- did you even read the title -> "Alienware Calls Dibs on World's Fastest 15-inch"

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
With that kind of pricetag, gamers may just want to buy a desktop

Was this ever really up for consideration?

I hold gaming PCs nearly tantamount to aftermarket VGA cards that cost $400.00 and up. You will notice that there is NO MARKET (I believe) for upgrading the VGA hardware on a laptop computer. -At least I have never heard of one targeted toward this.

With $4600, I believe I can produce a multihead-desktop PC that will make that laptop seem like a waste plastic, battery, and PCBAs.

It's already obsolete, where is the DX11 support?
1GB VGA frame buffer limit? C'mon Dell?

A thing about Dell...
I have supported a LOT OF DELL hardware over the years, from PowerEdge server clusters (Server 2003 EE x86) with rotating carousel tape backup and quorum storage, to desktop, to mobility.
I have spent hours on the phone with Gold Technical Support, not as bad as Silver, Bronze, or free, but still inept.
I can tell you that I have made a living recovering from defective Dell parts, and I will NEVER, EVER PAY MONEY for a product from Dell.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
I had a 5 year old laptop that went faster than this......when I threw it off the roof of my office building it went really fast

But seriously, I couldn't imagine paying this much for a machine that couldn't be upgraded, it's not that it's Alienware or Dell, just that a gaming laptop is like buying a games console. Once you outlay you will see the product degrade in comparison to newly emerging PC technology.

I could spend half that money and get a super-fly PC and a get a full HD monitor. Take the rest of the money and spend it on games and upgrades for the next 5 years.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
Alienware laptops run extremely hot and do not last like other laptops out there. I had one and I had a cooler for it to sit on and it burned up after a year and a half. If you want a gaming laptop, look at someone else if you want it to last as taking a few FPS hits is better than having a system die before it's two years old.

pito

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I sense a lot of Hate in the comments. Is there a law that when you can't afford a product you have to hate it and call it stupid, useless, nonsense, etc. yes a desktop will be cheaper but for gamers that require constant travel like myself (deployed on Iraq).I can easily carry a laptop in my lap in the helicopter but I can't be carrying a full gaming desktop around with me all the time. Sure is expensive but you pay for performance and the convenience of hauling. Its nice to know there is still options for the people that do games but are always on the go.

gamerjames

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Not everyone can be at home to game all of the time... Think about other people's lives outside of your own

I do agree this is to expensive but there is nothing wrong with gaming laptops, even if you can't upgrade it.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]pito[/nom]I sense a lot of Hate in the comments. Is there a law that when you can't afford a product you have to hate it and call it stupid, useless, nonsense, etc. yes a desktop will be cheaper but for gamers that require constant travel like myself (deployed on Iraq).I can easily carry a laptop in my lap in the helicopter but I can't be carrying a full gaming desktop around with me all the time. Sure is expensive but you pay for performance and the convenience of hauling. Its nice to know there is still options for the people that do games but are always on the go.[/citation]
I bet the Alienware runs hot in Iraq.
Plus if you carry it in your backpack, does that give you enhanced protection against rocket fire?
If you play COD4 is it a bit like me playing "Office Simulator"?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]thepinkpanther[/nom]can u sue alienware if it is not actually the "worlds fastest?" i know they got a coachload of money[/citation]
Let me know how that works out for you

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I'd still rather have the gscreen duo but then again, I wouldn't be gaming it either. I would just wait till I got home to game.

Status
Not open for further replies.