Asus rog strix b550 mobo
Ryzen 5800x3d cpu
32 gigs 3600 mushkin ram
Vantus 2 4070ti super
arctic freezer 2 360
Nzxt h7 flow case
Lian li fans
Alienware aw2723df (main display)
Asus tuf 1440 p 144 hrtz 27" (secondary)
2 mushkin nvme drives (one is for os is which is 5400 speed, games is 2tb 7400 speed)
Psu is thermaltake gf3 850 gold.

So for starters i have dual monitors an Alienware aw2723df 240 hrtz and an Asus tuf 27" 1440p 144 hrts

I'm going through the settings in the Alienware and I see smart hdr which comes set to desktop, if I select it to off my icons and everything go over to my asus monitor which is vertical, and my aio lights in my pc case flicker a few times before going back to their correct color, if I change it back to desktop the icons go back to the Alienware the lights flicker again and then stay solid after a few flickers.

Im petrified the monitor is causing issues in the pc, I've never had a monitor make my lights change, I've had games do it as I had a setting set in armory crate that I had to disable (aura sync or something like that, some games have it in settings also).

The Alienware monitor is set to 240 hrtz
The asus is set to 144 I dont know if that matters for the question as I've never had an issue with monitors causing this, I've had 2 monitors running at 144hrtz for 2 years.

anyone know if turning on hdr in the Alienware monitor messing with aio lights is normal? If not what's going on ?

And my second question is does anyone have the best color settings and preset for the Alienware for games? (If the monitors not trying to kill my pc) I looked up videos but they don't really mess with anything.

Is the Monitor trying to blow up my computer? I checked all the temps and things were normal no changes.
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/JqqbWwZ

Hotrod2go

Prominent
Jun 12, 2023
Your Alienware monitor does not support HDR. Check its specs. There is also this article here to consider when manufactures claim their products support HDR, but in fact do not.

In regards to your 2nd question, you'll have to see if an ICC profile is available for that particular model of monitor. Also, win 11 has a monitor calibration tool. Use that & make necessary adjustments but do it with the monitor at factory default settings. Also the light in the room can affect perceptions of a monitor's abilities, so I suggest doing it with the type of light you personally prefer for daily use on your system.

^
this AW2723DF display does offer
95% DCI-P3 color coverage and VESA DisplayHDR™ 600.
monitor-alienware-gaming-aw2723df-pdp-mod02-alt.psd

turning on hdr in the Alienware monitor messing with aio lights is normal?
definitely not unless there is some setting in the LED control settings that includes in-game or other system-responsive effects.

it likely changes the display itself's LED lighting which runs data through the software/drivers and impacts the full system.
try turning off the display's external lighting.

The Alienware monitor is set to 240 hrtz
The asus is set to 144 I dont know if that matters
try one at a time and see if there is any difference.

does anyone have the best color settings and preset for the Alienware for games?
there is no "best".
every room has different lighting and every user may enjoy a different brightness/contrast/etc.

the only real way to set it up is to go through all of the available settings yourself and set them for your personal environment.

i will always have at least one profile for a darker room and one for a fully lighted room.

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
I'm
^

definitely not unless there is some setting in the LED control settings that includes in-game or other system-responsive effects.

it likely changes the display itself's LED lighting which runs data through the software/drivers and impacts the full system.

there is no "best".
every room has different lighting and every user may enjoy a different brightness/contrast/etc.

the only real way to set it up is to go through all of the available settings yourself and set them for your personal environment.

i will always have at least one profile for a darker room and one for a fully lighted room.
Actually scared to even turn it back on again , it only messes with aio lighting if I turn on/off hdr, the monitor does have it's own rgb in settings menu but I would think that all the lights would flicker not just aio (also makes rog strix symbol on mobo flicker as well)

P0tluck94

Commendable
Nov 22, 2021
^

there is no "best".

So I have a theory but not sure, the monitor doesnt mess with the lian li lights as they are ran off L connect software, it only messes with mother board and aio which is ran off Armory crate, (not ram either they are ran off trident z rgb software) the monitor has is own lighting called lunar lighting , do you think it could be switching profiles in armory crate when I try to enable/disable hdr which is what I see flickering is it switching profiles?

There is an article about the aurora lighting and aura sync having compatibility issues but it says keyboard/mouse, nothing about mobo or aio..BUT I feel they would still be included as they run off aura sync?
https://www.dell.com/community/en/c...center-compatibility/647f93eef4ccf8a8de61a688

Update.

I opened armoury crate and when the lights on the pc flicker when turning on/off hdr, the armoury crate software box also flickered like it was resetting... hmmm 🤔

Last edited: