Question All games crash within a minute ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

v_sammie

Honorable
Sep 17, 2017
Hi everyone,

I just built a new high end PC which runs on Windows 11
but no matter which game I try, they always crash to desktop without any error, as if I just ALT-F4'd the game.

Specs:
Operating system: Windows 11 Home 64-bit
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-A WIFI
CPU: Intel Core i9-14900KF with both PSU power connectors plugged in
GPU: AORUS FV43U GeForce RTX 4090 with stock power adapter, all power connectors plugged in
RAM: 2x 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 5600MHz (CMK64GX5M2B5600Z40) seated in A2,B2
Disk: WD_Black 2TB M.2 SSD (WDC WD10EACS-22D6B0)
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850 Gold

I already tried/checked:
- updating bios to last version
- upgrading GPU driver
- tdrDelay 10 in registry
- downclocking gpu
- Memtest86, no errors
- using only ram stick 1, using only ram stick 2
- bumping RAM voltage from 1.25 to 1.3V
- updating to Windows Insider Program (release preview)
- installing games on other non M.2-SSD (SanDisk Ultra II 960GB)
- temperatures are very stable

Some hints maybe:
- Event viewer indicates Exception code: 0xc0000005 (Sons Of The Forest\UnityPlayer.dll)
- from all 50-ish times I went to BIOS settings, there were 3 cases where BIOS froze and I had to reset the PC.
- No crashes occur when just using windows/browsing

It'd be great if you guys can help since I really have no idea what else to try :/
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

v_sammie

Honorable
Sep 17, 2017
Nevermind it's still crashing sometimes in Sons of the Forest.

I now also tried Mlnecraft, and with this game I get bluescreens. Lately I also get bluescreens when no game or application is open.
For example, I start up my pc, I log in and the desktop shows, and then I get a bluescreen: Clock Watchdog Timeout.

I ordered a new CPU so that I can rule this component out. If it doesn't work I'll order a new PSU but I look up against it since I'll have to disassemble my whole PC. (I wrote this in bold to let you know that I'm not ignoring your advice, I'm just currently postponing it)

What do you guys think of this data in the picture? I see CPU voltage goes up to 1.482V. Is this normal? 12v, 5v and 3.3v seem stable?

Is there other data I can send, or test I can do, to figure out this issue?
zTa7Sdh.png

v_sammie

Honorable
Sep 17, 2017
Thanks for the intel tool but I had already used it and the test was successful without any errors.

2 days ago I replaced the PSU with a Cooler Master Gold 1250W. Sadly the crashes and bluescreens were still happening. I guess I'm just keeping the PSU now because it's a pain to replace.

Yesterday I replaced the CPU with the same model. Not a single crash or bluescreen since then! (usually I get about 15 bluescreens per day, and many more crashes, so for me the issue is clearly fixed now).

Thank you all for helping!
I will probably create a new post here about the new CPU because it gets very low benchmark scores, but at least it works!

Feb 1, 2024
Thanks for the intel tool but I had already used it and the test was successful without any errors.

2 days ago I replaced the PSU with a Cooler Master Gold 1250W. Sadly the crashes and bluescreens were still happening. I guess I'm just keeping the PSU now because it's a pain to replace.

Yesterday I replaced the CPU with the same model. Not a single crash or bluescreen since then! (usually I get about 15 bluescreens per day, and many more crashes, so for me the issue is clearly fixed now).

Thank you all for helping!
I will probably create a new post here about the new CPU because it gets very low benchmark scores, but at least it works!
Hello, I'm having the same issues here, i9 14900k and 4080 oc. Games crashes without error dialog. And get BSOD.
Did it keep crashing? I'm thinking on RMA too.

Specs:
Rog Strix z790-e gaming wifi
Gigabyte 4080 oc
32gb DDR5 ram (6400mhz)
i9 14900k
ASUS TUF psu 850 watts (Gold)

Last edited: