Question All games start lagging persistently ?

toad_frog09

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
Laptop model: ASUS Strix G513QY (purchased in July 22)

I have upgraded the RAM and the SSD, maintained it with periodic cleaning and repasting (moved from liquid metal to Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Thermal Paste.

I have started getting problems recently that while playing games, once the CPU temps hit 85 Degs, the processor gets thermal throttled significantly and drop the temps to 70. At the same time, the both the CPU and the GPU Clock frequency take a massive hit. This in turn makes the games laggy. This keeps happening periodically every 8 or so seconds.

Now, Initially I thought it was overheating, so I cleaned the vents and reapplied the high quality paste. I used Ryzen Controller to limit the CPU max temp to 80, but still the problem persist. And it happens in all games.

Interestingly, the games run decently if I unplug my laptop charger. Also, while plugged in, if I have the game running in background and say some other app opened in front, the temps keep up at 85-86 and it doesn't throttle.

I have taken screenshots of benchmarks if that helps you guys solve this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Hey there,

Are you using Armoury Crate to manage the processor or power settings? What power plan are you using?

Does propping the laptop up at the back a few inches reduce the heat at all?

All system drivers including chipset and bios up to date?

I can't see the images as when I cick on them, it's a 404 file not found. Perhaps you can upload them again using imgur.

toad_frog09

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
Hey there,

Are you using Armoury Crate to manage the processor or power settings? What power plan are you using?

Does propping the laptop up at the back a few inches reduce the heat at all?

All system drivers including chipset and bios up to date?

I can't see the images as when I cick on them, it's a 404 file not found. Perhaps you can upload them again using imgur.
Yes. I am using Armoury Crate set to Turbo.

I have, for all its usage, kept my laptop propped up with a small laptop stand.

All Drivers/BIOS up to date.

I'll upload the images again in my next post.

Okay, so I would start by removing/uninstalling Armoury Crate. AC can mess with some settings and can cause all sorts of instability.

The idea being, we'll just let Windows manage power settings. See if this helps.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran