Question All my games keep crashing

May 10, 2022
I have been having a lot of problems running my PC as of late. My PC is almost top of the line.

Ryzen 5 5600X
MSI Suprim X RTX 3070
Oloy Warhawk 16 gb 3600mhz
ASUS Strix B550-A Gaming
Gamemax 850W RGB PSU

During Idle or not playing games, it would be completely fine. When I would boot up a game it would be fine for a few moments but end up crashing. The time it takes for the game to crash would depend on the game itself. Red Dead Redemption would only take a few minutes while Battlefield V would take a whole hour. Elden ring would be either of the two. I have updated every driver, used DDU and reinstalled my GPU drivers, reinstalled windows, cleaned my PC, updated my BIOS, installed .NET and DirectX. I am wondering if it is my GPU that's the problem and if I may have to RMA the GPU. Another option could be the PSU, but I don't know which. Another problem that used to be rampant but isn't as much recently was the BSODs I would get on the daily. I am using my last resort of asking random strangers on the internet how I could fix this issue that has been plaguing me for months now.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Are you monitoring temps?

Have you run anything like MemTest? Checked to see if the memory is on the QVL for the mobo (I doubt this with Oloy)? Turned off XMP?

Check Event Viewer, check Reliability History for event codes. I find it easiest to open a browser on another machine/screen and run through the ID and look for commonality.

I looked up that PSU and it doesn't seem to have a specifically good reputation as a reliable unit. I would get more opinion or indication there was so problem with it before knee jerk replacement though.

May 10, 2022
I have done memtest86 and I got nothing out of the ordinary. I got KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED for the BSODs. The more I troubleshoot the more I start to think it's the PSU.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Have you disassembled the system and put it back together? You would be surprised how often that will clear up any random intermittent connection.

Try re-seating the memory and GPU since those are easy to get to. Unplug cables and re-insert them.

Even go so far as to disconnect things. Unplug fans, USB devices, anything at all. If one of them is having a problem that can drag 5V or 12V below acceptable values and cause problems.

Since you did a full re-install, not likely to be a software issue.

Then, yes, probably start looking at that PSU. Monitor your voltages under load. They should sag a little, but not drop below the ATX spec.

May 10, 2022
I have reseated my Memory sticks, GPU and CPU. Still facing the same problems. I get a lot of event 41. As of now, I just got a bluescreen from playing Red Dead Redemption. I got SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION.

Try testing at a lower RAM speed, say, 2666 MHz or 2933 MHz instead of 3600 MHz, etc...(not every CPU on every mainboard with every RAM kit is stable at 3600 MHz, as is an overclock, albeit a good one if stable and achievable)

Certainly, you'd want to rule out the easy to check things before needing to resorting to changing a PSU and all of it's modular cables