Question All my games lag on laptop! How do I fix this?

Jan 2, 2021
I'm trying to play some different games but all of them lag so much that they are unplayable (around 5 fps). I'm playing on a laptop with:

1050ti,
i5 7300HQ,
and 16GB of ram.

The games I have tried so far is Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Bloons TD6, and Middle-earth: Shadow of War. None of them are playable at all, it worked fine a few days ago but I took a break from using my laptop and now it's not working.

Some additional information: While hot the laptop doesn't overheat(never higher than 75) and the GPU doesn't use it's full power. While I play Shadow of war the CPU is at 100% the GPU is not. All games are played at their lowest possible settings and I have tried with different resolutions and on/of with vsync. The games are all on the standard HDD that I got with the laptop but OS is on a bought SSD. The hard drive is not full but at 70%.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Since you're on the 7000 series of processors from Intel for the laptop, you could try your hand at undervolting to help improve the temps on your laptop and reduce the heat output. I'd advise on making sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your laptop.

Following that you might want to see if your OS is pending any updates. We're currently on 20H2 for Windows 10. You can then use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, download the latest from Nvidia's support site and then manually install said drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

If the laptop's CPU is at 100% load when slightly taxed, you might have a memory leak issue and the only solution to that is to reinstall the OS. Recreate your installer using Windows Media Creation Tools. Then use it to install the OS.

Reactions: Rodeby
Jan 2, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Since you're on the 7000 series of processors from Intel for the laptop, you could try your hand at undervolting to help improve the temps on your laptop and reduce the heat output. I'd advise on making sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your laptop.

Following that you might want to see if your OS is pending any updates. We're currently on 20H2 for Windows 10. You can then use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, download the latest from Nvidia's support site and then manually install said drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

If the laptop's CPU is at 100% load when slightly taxed, you might have a memory leak issue and the only solution to that is to reinstall the OS. Recreate your installer using Windows Media Creation Tools. Then use it to install the OS.

I updated my BIOS and windows, and the games still lag. I tested Rainbow 6 Siege which is on my SSD and it didn't lag, so I tried uninstalling Bloons TD 6 and download it to my SSD but it was still unplayable. My CPU is at 50% while playing Bloons TD 6 and not hot at all. Nothing was close to being 100% used.

Jan 2, 2021
I updated my BIOS and windows, and the games still lag. I tested Rainbow 6 Siege which is on my SSD and it didn't lag, so I tried uninstalling Bloons TD 6 and download it to my SSD but it was still unplayable. My CPU is at 50% while playing Bloons TD 6 and not hot at all. Nothing was close to being 100% used.

I have now found things to be even weirder, games downloaded on my SSD before the problem started runs fine. But games recently downloaded to my SSD runs on those 5 fps. All games newly installed or not on my HDD are all at 5 fps (That is an estimate but that's what 1 of the ingame fps counters showed and all games are as bad). I tried downloading a game to my SSD that has never been downloaded to my laptop before to see if that did anything, which it didn't. But when I tried to tab out to look at my task manager I noticed that the game ran fine in the background, but as soon as I tab back in it's back to its horrible state of just a few fps. This was tested in Sid Meier's Civilization 6 downloaded onto my SSD, the game was in fullscreen mode and I used the sun that goes back and forth in the background as an example if it was working correctly.