Question All of a sudden my PC won't POST with installed DDR3 on Gigabyte z77x-ud5h motherboard

Mar 22, 2023
Hello,

I have the same exact problem as jonneedshelp in this thread with same specs, same symptoms : https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ddr3-ram-kit-installed.3738198/#post-22964006

Motherboard : Gigabyte z77x-ud5h Rev 1, Bios F14
CPU : I7-3770k ivy bridge
RAM : 4 x 8GB DDR3-1600

PROBLEM : My PC won't POST. I get a black screen and the error codes "15" and "03" on the onboard debugging LCD.

If I use brand new RAM that was NEVER installed on the MB, my PC boots normally and Windows starts. But when I reboot the computer, I can't get past POST. The RAM seems to be blacklisted by the motherboard and I can't enter the BIOS ! The only way to be able to access the BIOS is to use another RAM that was never used before on this motherboard.

I know that the RAM is ok because it works on another computer.

I have reset CMOS to no avail.

The only thing I can think of is that there is some sort of virus that is able to blacklist ram up to the point that I cannot access the BIOS and that a CMOS reset doesn't solve the problem. I have never ever seen this kind of thing in my 23 years of installing PCs.

If you can help me solve this bug, you're a genius and I would be immensely grateful. I hope I won't have to buy another motherboard. I have already wasted 60€ on new RAM but above all I have spent many hours spotting this strange problem.

Thank you and sorry for my english.

Last edited:
there is some sort of virus that is able to blacklist ram
though malware meant to just cause harm to systems has always been a thing it's rare to run across these days.
99% of of malware out there nowadays are to scan and hijack data from users.
exact problem as jonneedshelp in this thread with same specs, same symptoms
since you say another user with the exact same system experienced this exact same issue
i would just suspect that this motherboard is actually the culprit and is damaging modules.

have you contacted Gigabyte and searched their own support forums for this or a similar issue?

Mar 22, 2023
since you say another user with the exact same system experienced this exact same issue
i would just suspect that this motherboard is actually the culprit and is damaging modules.
JohnBonhamsGhost, thanks a lot for your reply 👍 Actually the motherboard doesn't brick the modules because they still work on another machine. They just stop working on this machine. It's as if they were "blacklisted".

If you or someone else has a suggestion, please feel free to reply. I'm desperate. Meanwhile I will search Gigabyte's forum but I hope that I won't have to buy another motherboard ☹️

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2023
does the issue with the memory modules occur with both slots being used, just one of them, or all four?
have you tried switching from DIMM slots 1 & 3 to slots 2 & 4?
Yes, I have tried all combinations : 1, 2, 3 or 4 modules, on slot 1, 2, 3 or 4, and the bug remains : Once Windows starts with 1 or several RAMs installed, on the next reboot these RAMs stop functionning on this motherboard (ie I can't get past POST). The only way to be able to enter the BIOS is to use RAM modules that have never been used on this motherboard.

Once Windows starts with 1 or several RAMs installed, on the next reboot these RAMs stop functionning on this motherboard
i got that you get RAM modules that don't seem to work after a first full boot.
what i was asking is if each of the four DIMM slots cause the same issue or only certain ones.

i'm guessing that by, "RAMs", you mean that it happens to multiple modules no matter where they may be slotted.

only way to be able to enter the BIOS is to use RAM modules that have never been used on this motherboard.
i would say that your only option is to replace the motherboard.

is it still under warranty?
if so, you should just contact Gigabyte support and have them replace the board.

though if this turns out to be known issue with this model, check their support forums for more of the same;
if the board is still new enough, return it and buy another. or just exchange it for something different.

Mar 22, 2023
Yes, it happens to multiple modules no matter where they are slotted.

My friend, it's the strangest bug I have ever seen in my life. If the board remembers what memory sticks have been used in the past even when the CMOS is cleared, it would mean that there is "hidden place" on the MB that stores this information. Planned Obsolescence Chip ?

My GA-Z77X-UD5H is unfortunately no more under warranty. It had been working flawlessly for over 10 years. I have created an account on the Gigabyte forum to post a bug report but it hasn't been validated yet.

Anyway thanks for trying to help. I guess it's time to buy a newer motherboard. I will choose another brand.