[SOLVED] All USB bluetooth adapters fail to work properly in Windows 10 ?

feriner

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013
I've tried just about everything.

Problem:
Recently my dualshock 4 controller started acting up over bluetooth, seemingly out of no where.
The symptoms are the controller inputs will lag for a few seconds after connecting and then it will just disconnect on its own. I tried connecting my bluetooth speaker, which usually works fine as an audio output, and the audio comes out loud, choppy, and distorted.

I went through some usual trouble shooting steps:

• reinstall bluetooth drivers (via Windows troubleshooter),
  • update the drivers using both my ASUS utility and Windows 10 update,
  • update DS4 (I normally just use Steam's controller support but I've always had DS4 just in case).
  • I have now even gone so far as to completely format my C drive, reinstall Windows and all my programs, and buy a new bluetooth adapter.
  • I have tested that both the adapter and the controller work on other computers/on the PS4.

My suspicion is it's a random program that I installed and the reinstalled on my Windows wipe, but I have no idea how to figure out which program it is without wiping everything again and installing one by one, which I would REALLY rather not do. Can anyone help me troubleshoot this further?

Here's a screenshot of a weird message in my device manager, it happened on both my old and new bluetooth adapter and on both Windows installs:
m5G4ZBz.png

Solution
Figured it out!
Turns out my motherboard had a built-in bluetooth receiver. It was disabled by Windows back when I bought it so I never even knew, nor thought to check till just now.

Well that receiver was garbage. The connection quality is awful and it randomly decided to override my bluetooth adapters. So I disabled it in BIOS and everything works perfectly again :)

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
I've tried just about everything.

Problem:
Recently my dualshock 4 controller started acting up over bluetooth, seemingly out of no where.
The symptoms are the controller inputs will lag for a few seconds after connecting and then it will just disconnect on its own. I tried connecting my bluetooth speaker, which usually works fine as an audio output, and the audio comes out loud, choppy, and distorted.

I went through some usual trouble shooting steps:

• reinstall bluetooth drivers (via Windows troubleshooter),
  • update the drivers using both my ASUS utility and Windows 10 update,
  • update DS4 (I normally just use Steam's controller support but I've always had DS4 just in case).
  • I have now even gone so far as to completely format my C drive, reinstall Windows and all my programs, and buy a new bluetooth adapter.
  • I have tested that both the adapter and the controller work on other computers/on the PS4.
My suspicion is it's a random program that I installed and the reinstalled on my Windows wipe, but I have no idea how to figure out which program it is without wiping everything again and installing one by one, which I would REALLY rather not do. Can anyone help me troubleshoot this further?

Here's a screenshot of a weird message in my device manager, it happened on both my old and new bluetooth adapter and on both Windows installs:
m5G4ZBz.png
Have you checked if there are drivers made specifically for your Bluetooth adapter? If not, installing the latest driver from the Bluetooth device’s manufacturer might fix it.

feriner

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013
Have you checked if there are drivers made specifically for your Bluetooth adapter? If not, installing the latest driver from the Bluetooth device’s manufacturer might fix it.

Good point. Sadly, the driver page for my new adapter says specifically not to install their drivers for Windows 10 here. So I guess it’s supposed to just work. My suspicion that this isn’t the principle issue is cause it was working on my first bluetooth adapter and then suddenly stopped working for it and 2 more adapters after that.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Good point. Sadly, the driver page for my new adapter says specifically not to install their drivers for Windows 10 here. So I guess it’s supposed to just work. My suspicion that this isn’t the principle issue is cause it was working on my first bluetooth adapter and then suddenly stopped working for it and 2 more adapters after that.
On this page it says that if it isn’t detected automatically you can install the driver from their website (the link that you shared). In the link I just shared, it also says to try changing USB ports if it is not functioning properly. It’s worth trying if you haven’t done so yet.

That page has a lot of troubleshooting options. I recommend reading over it for more information. A piece of advice: Create a system restore point so that you can recover your system data if something goes wrong with any drivers.

feriner

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013
On this page it says that if it isn’t detected automatically you can install the driver from their website (the link that you shared). In the link I just shared, it also says to try changing USB ports if it is not functioning properly. It’s worth trying if you haven’t done so yet.

That page has a lot of troubleshooting options. I recommend reading over it for more information. A piece of advice: Create a system restore point so that you can recover your system data if something goes wrong with any drivers.

No go.. even after a restart.

Something I did notice is that a little bit ago I had plugged in an old wireless receiver for a mouse so I wouldn't lose it. I noticed that I was able to connect to my computer with a bluetooth device through that, with my actual bluetooth adapter unplugged. I really hoped that this was the problem but unplugging it did not solve the issue.

There's no way that having that other receiver plugged in can mess up my bluetooth so badly, even when it's unplugged and I reinstall all the drivers, right?

feriner

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2013
Figured it out!
Turns out my motherboard had a built-in bluetooth receiver. It was disabled by Windows back when I bought it so I never even knew, nor thought to check till just now.

Well that receiver was garbage. The connection quality is awful and it randomly decided to override my bluetooth adapters. So I disabled it in BIOS and everything works perfectly again :)

Solution