I have 4 usb ports, computer not communicating anything plugged into them
BUT the green light on my memory card reader is on. It was all working before
a recent thunder and lightning storm. How can I reset them to communicate
again?

XP pro service pack 2

Go to Start/Run, and type DEVMGMT.MSC , highlight the USB Hub devices, Action menu, "Uninstall", then restart Windows, to find the
device drivers again automatically.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"philber" <philber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62837109-4E73-40C3-BD6B-A3015114DFE2@microsoft.com...
> I have 4 usb ports, computer not communicating anything plugged into them
> BUT the green light on my memory card reader is on. It was all working before
> a recent thunder and lightning storm. How can I reset them to communicate
> again?
>
> XP pro service pack 2

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> I have 4 usb ports, computer not communicating anything
> plugged into them
> BUT the green light on my memory card reader is on. It was all
> working before
> a recent thunder and lightning storm. How can I reset them to
> communicate
> again?
>
> XP pro service pack 2

If the lighting caused the danage, the only posible chance of them
working again is if you cleare your CMOS, you’ll need to look up how
to in your motherborads manual on how to do that, you may also need to
make notes on the BIOS confige so any crutial settings are not lost.
Other wise it seems unlikly they’ll ever work again any thing short
of replacing the motherborad, of course thats only if the lightling
did the damage.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-USB-ports-working-ftopict396889.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1308841

Jugo

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2005

"philber" wrote:

> I have 4 usb ports, computer not communicating anything plugged into them
> BUT the green light on my memory card reader is on. It was all working before
> a recent thunder and lightning storm. How can I reset them to communicate
> again?
>
> XP pro service pack 2

I just encountered the same poblem. I believe all my USB ports malfunctioned
after a thunderstorm. I already tried everthing in the device manager, and it
seems that all drivers are working properly. I don't fully understand the
BIOS settings. Were u able to fix your problem. If so, any advice. Thanx.