Allied 500W PSU with GTX 1060

Jan 25, 2019
I want to upgrade my GPU from an MSI RX 460 2GB OC to an MSI GTX 1060 6GB, and my PSU should be big enough, but after searching online to see what power pins it had, I’m having some doubts about the quality/safety of the PSU.

My computer was an iBuyPower pre-build, and I had no idea what PSU it had until recently. I bought it 2 years ago and in that time I’ve upgraded my RAM, added 2 extra fans and added a 500GB SSD. I’ve had no issue with the PSU or had any random shutdowns/ crashes in the whole time I’ve had it, and I’ve left it on for up to a week at a time with no issues.

I’m assuming it’s safe now based on this particular unit's history, but if I add an extra load to the PSU will it die on me or damage the system/GPU? I can get a new PSU, but if it’s okay enough I would really rather not right now, because I just bought the new GPU.

System specs:
CPU: AMD FX-8320
GPU: Radeon RX 460 --> Nvidia GTX 1060
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB
Storage: 1xCrucial SDD 500GB, 1xWD Blue 7200RPM HHD 1TB
Mobo: MSI 760GMA-P34
PSU: Allied AL-D500EXP 500w

bignastyid

Titan
Looks like you are another ibuypower victim.

That PSU is generic garbage and should be replaced ASAP.

Another issue you'll likely run into is VRM throttling due to the poor choice of motherboard(inadequate VRMs). You probably haven't seen or noticed it yet due to the lower end gpu not stressing the CPU, but a GTX 1060 will have that cpu working very hard(in same games and/or resolutions the cpu will be the limiting factor in FPS). When that cpu starts working harder the VRMs will also have to work harder to keep up and are likely to fail in that task and throttle the CPU.

Jan 25, 2019

I had a feeling that was the answer, the more I dig into this PC the sketchier it gets. Would you have a recommendation of PSU for this?

As a side note on the mobo and such, it has some noticeable lag now under pressure, but I thought it was my GPU more than anything, even though the motherboard has always felt pretty barebones. Will the VRM throttling hurt the CPU/mobo or just be an inconvenience? I don't need perfect FPS, I just want it to run without any real snags in semi-demanding games and Adobe software/CAD software/video capture.

Sorry for all the questions, I really want to understand this PC the best I can so I know how hard I can safely run it.
Thanks for your help.