Jun 16, 2020
I am preparing to build a PC and as I was planning, I originally intended to remove my router and modem to another room so that I could hook up the PC with an Ethernet cord. However, when I went to move the router and modem, the only coaxial wall socket in the room didn’t work and I have no idea how to fix that. I know that there are a few other options outside, but I am unsure what my next course of action should be. I know about Powerline adapters, but I’ve heard that if the room that the router is in has a different circuit than the room the pc is in, the Powerline adapter won’t work. I’ve also heard about wifi cards, but I am not sure if I want to pursue that just yet. Thoughts?

How far away is the room where you had the router to where you want to connect the computer? Leaving the modem there and connecting a long ethernet cable between the rooms would work, though that may not be easy in some home layouts. It could simply be a matter of running the cable along the base of the wall, held in place with clips or something. Or drilling some holes and running the cable properly between the rooms, if practical.

Most ISPs don't charge when you have to move between existing coax in the home. You could even make up something like 'my internet doesn't work' and when they show up have it connected in the room where you want it and they'll fix it. There may be a charge later on your bill, but you can usually argue your way out of it.

Reactions: Mooons
Aug 10, 2020
Xfinity customer service rating is just below big banks like Wells Fargo. Their service centers however can give you a 50 foot coax extension for free. If you use their modem they have a wifi option to try.