Trumphent

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2002
This strictly personal subjective choice. I have an Antec sx830 and it is a well built/designed case. Shortly after, for my other computer I bought a Lian LI PC60USB. I wanted the front USB ports that are not on the all steel Antec.

Why all cases are not made out of aluminum is a mystery to me. Aluminum does nothing for cooling. The inherent design of the case and the use of fans does that.

Weight, is obviously an advantage of the AL cases.
AL also is easier to bend, a disadvantage. It may not travel as well as a steel case.

I would buy the PC60USB again if I had to. Everything is a perfect fit, I like that.

Signature? We don' need no stinkin' signature!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
theoretically, the hard drive rack would sink away the heat...well, at least a little more...yet, it would be more efficient at doing so than say a steel case..

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I upgraded from a steel case to a Lian-Li PC-68. There might be a couple of degrees difference between the
two but it's hard to compare. The case cooling is better (more fans) but I can feel heat more on the outside
of the case, for instance above the PSU. That, of course, is the argument for aluminum cases. They are
supposed to conduct to the outside better. The only answer I can give, I really like my case and won't
go back to all steel. It's lighter and looks 10ºc cooler. :smile:

(They make heatsinks out of aluminum. I wonder if we will ever see copper or silver cases?)

:smile: <font color=blue><b>You get what you pay for...all advice here is free.</b></font color=blue> :smile:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah, and if you add some lights, it adds horsepower :smile:
like my crazy light up mouse pad...it has to add like 10-15 horsepower! AHYUK!

-DAvid

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Thanks David! I learn something new everyday.
Gotta add lights and lots of em.
I just thought I had a large enough PSU.

:smile: <font color=blue><b>You get what you pay for...all advice here is free.</b></font color=blue> :smile:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
well, you cant actually improve the performance of your compter....hehehe...well, i guess you can :smile:

but adding lights always makes the case look cooler.
to compare it to bikes....something else i know about...( i know stuff?) it is like when people buy a "suspension" "bike" at target or walmart, because it LOOKS cool. when they should go to a bike shop, and buy a REAL bike....

i have to admit tho, i have bought some things because of the way they look..but i try to go for functionality, and then if there is a choice on looking good and functioning well, i do that...but then again, i did make this mousepad that lights up....which serves no real purpose other than looking cool as hell. HA!
and i hate to sound like one of those "the more that you know" commercials, but if you stop learning stuff, you have to be either dead, or a rock....hehe!

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
amen brutha!
and i like the use of "dum as rock"..hehe..sounds primitive! hehe
nice :wink:
and yeah...especially if you are comparing rigs with a friend, and it comes down to the way it looks...then i usually have the upper hand...AHYUK!

-DAvid

Tankman

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2001
Not worth it in my opinion. I bought a Lian-Li 86 to replace an Avance 7004 because I had been told my heat problems were probably due to poor case cooling. My mobo temps shot up 10C in the new case! I replaced all three Adda fans with Papst fans and my temps dropped 7C. I probably wouldn't have such a heat problem if Lian-Li redesigned the air intake for the bezel. It cuts airflow significantly.

The case definitely "looks" cool, but that's about where the advantages end over my old Avance case. I don't think there is much of an advantage for aluminum cases unless you move your computer a lot. Mine is definitely lighter now.

Tankman

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i have to say yes, the lian li almost silences internal fans (dont ask me how... i think its magic!) but does nothing for cooling otherwise, (ok about a 0.3 degree drop but nothing significant) they arent that much lighter than steel cases as the metal tends to be thicker but i love them

if in doubt blame microsoft...

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i dont know about the weight thing...at the store, i picked up a lain li...it was LIGHT.
i picked up a similar sized case, and it was steel, and it was HEAVY.
as for the aluminum silencing the fans, i think that is caused by the aluminum not being as hard...the softer metal sort of absorbs the vibrations.

-DAvid

Trumphent

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2002
The drivebays in the Lian LI aluminum case are going to forced air cooled. No one makes a heat transferring contact surface area installation of their hard drives to the case.

I have 10K rpm drives in mine and they get hot without the fans, just like they did in an all steel case.

Aluminum cases look good, are light and are easier to modify. Without fans, like in a steel case, things will overheat.

Signature? We don' need no stinkin' signature!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
im not saying that you dont need air moving in there...
i am saying that aluminum will move the heat away from the drives better than steel...
you cant say it wont, because when was the last time you saw a heatsink made of steel?
i cant remember any...
hehe...
any case needs adequate airflow, otherwise it wouldnt matter what it is made of...it will just act like an oven!
it is just that aluminum should move the heat away from the drives better and if you have adequate cooling in there, you should be able to cool everything.
with the ammount of air moving through my case, everything stays pretty cool...hard drive is cool to the touch...
and my case is some generic steel case.
the hard drive contacts the case....unless you have it isolated...and since the drive itself is usually made out of metal, it usually will transfer heat to the case.
next time you have the case side off, and let everything heat up, and then touch the drive cage that the hard drive is in.
it will be pretty warm...

-DAvid