Am I going bonkers?

G

Last September I bought my 3rd Dell PC (an XPSB100r). For the first time this PC exhibited a "refuse to boot" symptom where the startup sequence would just 'hang' say 30% of the time. Then one day, at the same refusal point, my hard drive (45GB Ultra ATA) started making this awful grinding noise and that was it - couldn't reboot and couldn't reformat.

Dell replaced it with a 70GB drive but that exhibited the same problem and I ended up having to reformat a month or so later (with some reluctance from the system to format over the bad sectors).

Anyway, after two more times the startup hang still occurs and I'll still get the grinding noise (but no complete failure). Norton utilities can't diagnose the problem (either skips over the bad sector, or hangs trying to read it).

Do I have a harddrive problem that I unluckily inherited twice on two separate drives - or is it something else? If it's truly a surface defect, could I mark it as bad and just get on with my life and sacrifice a meg or two?

Dell wants me to start re-seating all the motherboard components and other time exhasutive activities.

Thanks for any sanity checks!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Tell Dell to shove it. I'm really sick of their "customer support" and will never buy from them again. 1st and last time.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Well, the fact that I had to pay $80 to have a new monitor cable put on doesn't help any. I hate proprietary crap. I guess that's not proprietary, but you can't just unplug the cable and stick a new one in.

HighCv2

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
Try reseating the ram sticks, test'em one at a time, it may very well be bad memory.

"He who laughs last doesn't get the joke"

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
if in doubt blame microsoft... if microsoft is not to blame then blame bt (british telecom... most evil company) if bt is not to blame... hmm... blame dell... yeh thats it... blame dell... i remember the good old days with good dells back when the 200 came out...

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong

FatBurger

Illustrious
How will reseating the RAM help with my monitor?
J/k

Anyway, reseating stuff on the MB isn't as time-consuming as you might think.