[SOLVED] Am I screwed? Accidentally re-partitioned system reserved partition

r3ddr4g0n

Commendable
Nov 7, 2020
Having one of those days where I think I shouldn't be allowed to use computers....I was trying to extend a drive after switching from RAID to AHCI, and accidentally extended it over the system reserve partition. It's now labeled as a simple volume, dynamic type. Is there a way for me to fix it? I haven't restarted my computer yet.

I did thankfully make a back-up image of the computer, but didn't make a bootable disk yet because I was looking for a USB drive big enough. If there's a way for me to fix it, or if it isn't as a big a deal as I think it is, would be very appreciated!

psMbExm.jpg

Solution
You say "extended it over the system reserve partition".......

Not sure what that means.

I still see it as partition D on disk 2 and assume it must have always been on disk 2.

Not sure why it would be on Disk 2.

System Reserved should contain boot files, so if drive 2 were disconnected I doubt if you would boot.

Dynamic disks rarely desirable. Very rarely. But I'm not sure if it would prevent you from booting at this point.

Windows Backup tool mediocre on a good day.

RAID another complication.

Wait for more comments.

I still see it as partition D on disk 2 and assume it must have always been on disk 2.

System Reserved should contain boot files, so if drive 2 were disconnected I doubt if you would boot.

Dynamic disks rarely desirable. Very rarely. But I'm not sure if it would prevent you from booting at this point.

Wait for more comments.

Solution

r3ddr4g0n

Commendable
Nov 7, 2020

Wait for more comments.

That's hopeful at least, thanks!

r3ddr4g0n

Commendable
Nov 7, 2020
This is Windows 10, I have four drives. A 128gb SSD (system drive) [Disk 0], two 1TB HDDs that used to be in a RAID 1 array [Disks 1 and 2], and one 1TB SSD [Disk 3] that I'm trying to get working 100% when all this started. All of them are internal connected to SATA ports.

The 5th drive is a USB drive [Disk 4] I was trying to make a bootable image on. Wasn't big enough tho.

r3ddr4g0n

Commendable
Nov 7, 2020
Thinking back, I think I clicked thru this warning too fast. So it seems like it'll be ok. I still need to figure out how to get my system reserved partition onto my main system disk.
Snap1.gif

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
You still have the issue with the drive being dynamic though. If possible, the easiest way to get rid of that is to copy off the data and format it to the ground.

It shouldn't affect your Windows daily usage but if you decide to play with the partitions or use multiboot, it will be a real headache waiting.

r3ddr4g0n

Commendable
Nov 7, 2020
You still have the issue with the drive being dynamic though. If possible, the easiest way to get rid of that is to copy off the data and format it to the ground.

It shouldn't affect your Windows daily usage but if you decide to play with the partitions or use multiboot, it will be a real headache waiting.

Happy to do this, but how do I move my System Reserved partition off that drive?

TRENDING THREADS