Amazon Lists Core i9-9900K For $582.50

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zenmas95

Commendable
Jul 16, 2018

zenmas95

Commendable
Jul 16, 2018
Intel is in big trouble with pricing that's why they have been downgraded per Barclays.If you are willing to give up a extra couple hundred for 8-10% gain in games only go for it. Moore's law is coming to an end GHZ alone just not doing it anymore Intel better fix themselves fast the cost of the chip and extra power draw is insane for marginal gains in games.

Sep 1, 2018
Intel has gone loco with prices. Clearly protecting Xeons profit margins. Can't wait for 7 nm Zen to come out in Q1 or Q2 2019. That will be good time to buy CPU. Be it Intel or AMD. Intel will have hard time when 12 core AMD CPUs hit the market for 400 $. If they really manage to improve IPC 10-15 %, I will be in heaven.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

25 years of building computers for myself and the people around me. Never had a CPU die on me. Not sure what you're doing with yours that it is so vital for you to keep the packaging so you can send it back. Not hard to cut out the serial #. No need to keep the entire box.

Tanyac

Reputable
Massively overpriced.
Packaging is useless. I keep it for when I sell the item so it sells in it's original box, but other than that it's useless and meaning less. The new packaging does not inspire me to buy the CPU...

When that CPU hits Australian Shelves it's going to be at or near $1000. Like I said, massively overpriced - This "mainstream" CPU will likely be priced higher than a HEDT 7820X CPU.

Intel have learned nothing.

D

Deleted member 217926

At least Skylake v4? v5? comes with a cute box!

Sep 19, 2018
At this, price, it seems to competing with the 12 core threadripper. I hope the i9 is at a more competitive price when it comes out but we will see. The i9 can't compete at that price

That's because CPU's silicon's are fully tested to determine how many good cores they have and what clock speeds they're good for. Then binned accordingly. So it's already been through a rigorous quality control to test for functionality before it even leaves the factory. The likelyhood of a bad one is very very low.

LordConrad

Distinguished
You can get the same number of core/threads with the Ryzen 2700x for only $300, or for another $220 you can get the Threadripper 2950X, with double the cores/threads. Unless you have a specific requirement for intel chips, AMD is the way to go.

Oct 2, 2018
"Intel's new Core i9-9900K packaging is obviously a direct response to AMD's impressive Threadripper packaging that has set a new bar for the processor market."

Lmao. WOW! PACKAGING! /wrists

Oct 2, 2018
@LORDCONRAD I'm considering going for the 2950X, but until AMD gets those clocks up, what's the point? Nobody I know needs 16/32 cores, really. It'd just be a brag-piece, and I want to test my new loop's capabilities with some heat.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

Hyper-threading is perceived as a significant security risk. OpenBSD disabled it by default in their OS earlier this year for that reason. As core counts increase, SMT becomes less necessary for the mainstream.