[SOLVED] [AMD 5700xt] Black screen crash after 2-ish hrs of heavy use.

Ausar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2014
Hello there, I just installed a brand new AMD 5700 xt. I have a 750w PSU that has given me no trouble in the past whatsoever. When I first installed the card everything was great. I gamed all weekend pretty much nonstop on Total Warhammer 2 and encountered no problems. But last night, while gaming, both my monitors glitched out, showing random static and patterns, but my computer was fully functional behind the visual glitches. I was able to save the game and normally shut down the computer.

I assumed that my GPU had just gotten too hot, as sticking my hand behind my PC confirmed it was very hot. So I let it cool, fired it back up and installed MSI Afterburner to increase the base fan speed. I changed some values (notable allowing application control, and set the curve slightly higher than average. I monitored temps on my side monitor and as far as I can tell the GPU junction temp never got above 100 (although it might have for a brief moment causing emergency shutdown?)Then after about 20 minutes of medium strain gameplay, my monitors go completely black, keyboard + mouse are frozen (numlock or capslock keys won't turn off, but fans are still running) forcing me to restart. I read online that some people were having problems with their new cards, which was solved by undervolting. I set up a undervolt of 1900mHz/995mV and with a power limit of 5%, all of this in the Radeon control panel, with afterburner uninstalled. I also adjusted the fan curve, and everything worked fine for the couple hours I played that night. Now today, I had the exact same problem of a black screen after 20ish minutes, so I did a semi-clean install of Win10 (kept files) and reinstalled drivers and set back up my undervolt. Everything worked fine playing warhammer for 2 hours and 23 minutes before the next black screen happened, with the same systems. I have tried turning all my power and sleep settings off, and I have reinstalled drivers multiple times, fully cleaning the old ones each time. The only big change in between the time it was working fine and now, is that I switched my side monitor running at 1280x720 and a vga>hdmi cord, to a 1080p monitor with DVI>hdmi.

Am I missing something or do I have a bad card? It runs like a dream when it's not crashing so I'm tempted to say something else is the problem.

TLDR: Black screen crash when GPU gets under load for 20min-2hrs, Tried the usual fixes

EDIT: I should mention the last time it crashed it did something new in that it glitched out a little bit on the side monitor before both monitors showed "No signal detected"

Solution
There have been a lot of these reports, and has put me off buying one. I was going to wait for cards with better coolers to hit the market anyways. If I were you, and the card is just not working right, contact the outlet you bought the card from, and/or the support channel of your card manufacturer right away, so they have record of your problems. It could be a driver bug, you might want to try a different driver version. Also, just remove the card and re-seat it in the pcie slot, and reseat the power connectors, this is often an issue.
There have been a lot of these reports, and has put me off buying one. I was going to wait for cards with better coolers to hit the market anyways. If I were you, and the card is just not working right, contact the outlet you bought the card from, and/or the support channel of your card manufacturer right away, so they have record of your problems. It could be a driver bug, you might want to try a different driver version. Also, just remove the card and re-seat it in the pcie slot, and reseat the power connectors, this is often an issue.

Solution
Oh, a blower design running too hot for normal operation! Colour me surprised! /sarcasm

Sorry, but this is one thing I will always give grief to AMD about: reference designs using blower type. Even nVidia moved away from them for reference models!

Anyway, sorry to say, but as stated above, you'll have to either buy an aftermarket cooler for the card or just replace it altogether with an aftermarket RX5700XT model that comes with a proper cooling solution.

Cheers!

Aug 3, 2019
Hello there, I just installed a brand new AMD 5700 xt. I have a 750w PSU that has given me no trouble in the past whatsoever. When I first installed the card everything was great. I gamed all weekend pretty much nonstop on Total Warhammer 2 and encountered no problems. But last night, while gaming, both my monitors glitched out, showing random static and patterns, but my computer was fully functional behind the visual glitches. I was able to save the game and normally shut down the computer.

I assumed that my GPU had just gotten too hot, as sticking my hand behind my PC confirmed it was very hot. So I let it cool, fired it back up and installed MSI Afterburner to increase the base fan speed. I changed some values (notable allowing application control, and set the curve slightly higher than average. I monitored temps on my side monitor and as far as I can tell the GPU junction temp never got above 100 (although it might have for a brief moment causing emergency shutdown?)Then after about 20 minutes of medium strain gameplay, my monitors go completely black, keyboard + mouse are frozen (numlock or capslock keys won't turn off, but fans are still running) forcing me to restart. I read online that some people were having problems with their new cards, which was solved by undervolting. I set up a undervolt of 1900mHz/995mV and with a power limit of 5%, all of this in the Radeon control panel, with afterburner uninstalled. I also adjusted the fan curve, and everything worked fine for the couple hours I played that night. Now today, I had the exact same problem of a black screen after 20ish minutes, so I did a semi-clean install of Win10 (kept files) and reinstalled drivers and set back up my undervolt. Everything worked fine playing warhammer for 2 hours and 23 minutes before the next black screen happened, with the same systems. I have tried turning all my power and sleep settings off, and I have reinstalled drivers multiple times, fully cleaning the old ones each time. The only big change in between the time it was working fine and now, is that I switched my side monitor running at 1280x720 and a vga>hdmi cord, to a 1080p monitor with DVI>hdmi.

Am I missing something or do I have a bad card? It runs like a dream when it's not crashing so I'm tempted to say something else is the problem.

TLDR: Black screen crash when GPU gets under load for 20min-2hrs, Tried the usual fixes

EDIT: I should mention the last time it crashed it did something new in that it glitched out a little bit on the side monitor before both monitors showed "No signal detected"
Hello
I at this point would like to add I have also changed from a RX Vega 64 Strix OC to RX 5700 XT ,At first I was experiencing card shutdown (black monitor) So rushed to see if there were probs online BIG MISTAKE tis like looking in a medical book ,then I remebered I have one HDD(I have 4)( with the games on that were crashing , speaks for itself) , the drive was on the way out , Now I Have a RX 5700 XT with NO PROBS , point is Stop Blaming AMD for your misdiagnosis and stop comparing everyone elses problems as same as yours , the internet should be used as a guide NOT a fix My System btw is Ryzen 7 2700 oc to 4.10 , x470 gaming f , 32gb ram ,all runs sweet as a nut and now with the RX , Tomb Raider @ up to 145fps at 1440 I could not be happier Thank you AMD

correction problem returned ...changed to a rog strix rx 5700 xt no more problems above was reference card

Last edited:

devinmcbride

Reputable
Oct 5, 2019
[] Black screen crashing is a very widespread problem. XFX and other partners have awknowledged it, and there are no less than a dozen long threads with AMD engineering now looking into it. Example here: https://community.amd.com/thread/243837

@Ausar - XFX is recommending users downgrade to driver version 19.8.2 or use 19.9.3, and not use .9.1 or .9.2. Initial reports is that even .9.3 is exhibiting the issue.

Some users are having luck downgrading to 19.7.5 and settling for the drop in performance. Either way, the current assumption is that's it's a driver issue and not faulty hardware.

Please add yourself to the thread above - one of the AMD reps has been active there gathering system information and passing it along.

Last edited by a moderator: