Question AMD 7900 xt causing boot times to be INSANELY slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kavinqt

Distinguished
EDIT: Someone helped me find out that is my GPU causing these insane boot times. I removed the 7900 xt from the build and booted up with monitor on the mobo and it launched like NOTHING super fast. Anybody have any issue regarding 7900 xt/x's causing boot times to be slow af? Any work around please?

As the title says, I JUST today built a new PC.

Specs:
CPU: i9 13900
Cooler: Deepcool ak400
Mobo: MSI Pro b760-M-A wifi ddr4 Micro atx
Ram: G.skill Ripjaws V 32gb 2x16gb 3200mhz (32g total)
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2tb
GPU: Powercolor RX 7900 XT
PSU: Corsair RM1000e
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 mini

As above says I just today built a BRAND new PC all new parts, Nothing inside of it is used whatsoever. I have a FRESH install of windows 10 installed via USB media installation.

So I have INSANELY long boot times and IDK what I can do about it.

it takes 1min+ to boot from full shut down nothing powered to even get to the BIOS screen not even my login screen via windows.

IN Task manager under startup I have 9 TOTAL programs that startup. ACTUALLY 8. SO its not a startup program issue where its being overloaded.

Also in task manager under startup my last bios time is 53.2 seconds, the small amount of times I've booted it 5-8 or so. It's always been around 54 seconds for last bios time, This just seems WAY TOO SLOW.

My MOBO has 2 M.2 slots. 1 above the GPU which is a m.2_1 (The one I'm using) and one below the GPU or under it that I COULD not use I'm pretty sure but that one is a m.2_2 - Could this be the issue? That I'm using m.2_1 instead of the other one that I can't use in my case more than likely? Due to the GIANT graphics card.

I have checked some BIOS settings. Fast boot is confirmed on. I have NO other drives in this PC ONLY the samsung 970 evo plus 2tb. MSI fast boot is OFF. I had m.2_1 max link speed generation set to AUTO I tried setting it to gen 4 and NO change.

Please somebody help.

Last edited:

Kavinqt

Distinguished
I doubt it is the drive.

Try booting up with no drive at all. Just to get to the BIOS.
What happens?
Hey USAFRet, Thanks for the reply I appreciate it!

So I didn't fully remove the SSD from the motherboard, But I went into my BIOS and disabled every boot option and re-ran the test twice. Once on my main 1440p 144hz monitor and the second time on my 1080p 144hz monitor.

1440p monitor: The first test it took 66 seconds to boot into my bios (timed via stopwatch on my phone)

my 1080p monitor: Took over 2minutes to hit into bios (timed via stopwatch on my phone)

I ran it twice on diff monitors to see if this new monitor was displaying late etc but seems to NOT be the issue.

And as test shows it shouldn't be the SSD as its taking insanely long just to hit bios.

after I ran tests and started it back up the startup bios time in my task manager shows 52.8 seconds.

So what could the issue be? Are newer boards and 13th gen just REALLY slow at booting? Any work arounds?

Kavinqt

Distinguished
It seems like the BIOS is trying to launch multiple times or something? I just did a restart to try and get into the bios and I saw the MSI picture where u can hit delete to enter I saw it pop up and disappear for like 30seconds + then reappear.

Something odd has got to be going on.

Specs:

As above says I just today built a BRAND new PC all new parts, Nothing inside of it is used whatsoever. I have a FRESH install of windows 10 installed via USB media installation.

it takes 1min+ to boot from full shut down nothing powered to even get to the BIOS screen not even my login screen via windows.

IN Task manager under startup I have 9 TOTAL programs that startup. ACTUALLY 8. SO its not a startup program issue where its being overloaded.

Also in task manager under startup my last bios time is 53.2 seconds, the small amount of times I've booted it 5-8 or so. It's always been around 54 seconds for last bios time, This just seems WAY TOO SLOW.

My MOBO has 2 M.2 slots. 1 above the GPU which is a m.2_1 (The one I'm using) and one below the GPU or under it that I COULD not use I'm pretty sure but that one is a m.2_2 - Could this be the issue? That I'm using m.2_1 instead of the other one that I can't use in my case more than likely? Due to the GIANT graphics card.

I have checked some BIOS settings. Fast boot is confirmed on. I have NO other drives in this PC ONLY the samsung 970 evo plus 2tb. MSI fast boot is OFF. I had m.2_1 max link speed generation set to AUTO I tried setting it to gen 4 and NO change.

Please somebody help.
Make it smaller.

Remove the gpu and connect the monitor to the mobo.....test.

If no help test with one stick of ram.

Kavinqt

Distinguished
So yeah I notice that the BIOS will have some little slit looking mouse that shows up after my monitor shows DP for display port. It reappears and disappears a bit. I will notice MSI's Watermark logo show up and INSTANTLY disappear and reappear 30seconds + later if not LONGER and then it finally sticks on the watermark logo and boots into my windows 10.

^^^ this happened before I updated my BIOS and AFTER I updated my bios to the most recent version.

I ran BootRacer as well (After the bios update) (Task manager startup) shows 57.1 bios startup time

this is BootRacer's picture. IDK if I can get more details from it aka logs or whatever: View: https://i.imgur.com/xhyI6FV.png

Kavinqt

Distinguished
Make it smaller.

Remove the gpu and connect the monitor to the mobo.....test.

If no help test with one stick of ram.
Yo, I greatly appreciate the help!

I removed my 7900 xt and I got a NEAR instant boot. What could be causing this? Why would the GPU cause such a LONGER boot up time? LEGIT several minutes sometimes. I've legit had 5mins of a boot with the gpu in why????

And When I mean near instant without the GPU in I mean near instant it was SUPER fast from 57 seconds bios startup time via my task manager to LEGIT 9.7 seconds. Heres a screenshot of BootRacer without GPU in:

View: https://i.imgur.com/Qmz916a.png

Please can anyone help me figure out why the GPU is causing my boots to take FOREVER? There's gotta be a work around.

also I edited my prio in my BIOS for my graphics changed it from my PCIE to my mobo to make sure it didnt try to go to PCIE. Probably has nothing at all to do with it booting faster but thought I'd put that info here just incase.

EDIT: Someone helped me find out that is my GPU causing these insane boot times. I removed the 7900 xt from the build and booted up with monitor on the mobo and it launched like NOTHING super fast. Anybody have any issue regarding 7900 xt/x's causing boot times to be slow af? Any work around please?

Specs:

Please somebody help.
Do you have or can you borrow another gpu just for test purpose?

Kavinqt

Distinguished
Do you have or can you borrow another gpu just for test purpose?
I have my old 1070 that I tried, It works completely fine boots up in under 10 seconds. Same thing on integrated graphics. I've read online other people with this issue that it may be something to do with the VBIOS trying to launch or something at the same time as the MSI bios. Some people had it fixed by disabling integrated graphics etc, I tried that and no luck at all. Seems the only thing I could do is rma for a different graphics card entirely (Nvidia) OR I wait for a firmware update by AMD to fix this <Mod Edit>.

Mar 9, 2023
You not only one, there is more cases if you check google. I got same problem with Sapphire 7900 XTX Nitro+ . Also using 13900k + Gigabyte Z690 platform. Before was using 6800xt and 6900xt and it was fine.
Seems there is some GPU bios initialisation issues. I didn't find any solution yet, probably we need to start bother AMD guys for some explanations...

May 1, 2023
I have the same issue. had a GeForce 2080 and installed my new 7900xt and now my bios post time is anywhere from 1 minute to over 20 minutes! my MSI motherboard has boot code lights and it flickers VGA and restarts the boot. Eventually, it will post and then work normally. i have not found any way to update the firmware on the video card but it's definitely something AMD needs to fix. Does anyone have a good idea of where we can bring this up to them? I have updated my motherboard bios since i installed the video card to try to fix this and it did not help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS