Question AMD 9590 cpu revival. 180$/yearPc. Old beast not yet overclocked.

LRGee

Honorable
Jul 18, 2015
Hi, First off i know the chip is hot, old and disliked by some but i love it and the challenge is tasty. I'm trying to revive my 9yo 9590 beast. :) i was hoping to get some advice doing it. It stopped working 1 1/2 year ago after replacing my 290x gpu with msi 470 4gb. My guess is either psu or mobo died. The mobo is asus crosshair V formula Z i spent on it for consistent power delivery so i doubt it died. I will handle the troubleshooting lol.

I've built this machine for this exact moment, i never overclocked it, yet. I ran thermaltake water 3.0 using pull method. But after 9years i think not much water is left inside, therefore i'm thinking about replacing for a thermaltake floe 280mm with push pull config as top intake.(The goal is to blow cool air on mobo heatsinks and suck cool air vs flammable air into my rad 🤣). The case is coolermaster stryker. I'm thinking about installing my new corsair rm1000x fan up to suck gpu heat right out. There is one lame fan on the back as exhaust and i got 3 corsair rgb fans 2 intakes on the front and 1 i could mount under de SSD rack as another intake, but the case as side vents each side of the ssd's rack i fear i would lose some fresh intake due to lack of exhaust behind unless i can make my psu fan run full speed even if it is not under heavy load. Or get a stupid beast exhaust back fan. I never could close my side panels due to insane heat, and horrid cable management. But i'd like to.

I never tested my chip on overclocking but i just love this cpu i will try to push it as far as possible. I still believe i have THE one! Haha

Please help me reach 180$/year 😁 i paid about 1800$Can for this in 2012 ish it was built to run crossfire 290x but it got discontinued before i could buy the second card. So many xfire/sli build on 24 pci lanes 🤣🤣🤣 16x+8x = 8x because your 16x card will have to wait on 8x unless you're still in 800x600 lol.

Thanks for reading here is a recap of the original build and upcoming revival test.

Original build
Case:Coolermaster Stryker
Mobo:Asus crosshair V formula Z
Ram:4x8gb Kingston hyperx Fury 1866MHz
Gpu: Radeon 290x
Psu:Corsair RM850
Coolling:Thermaltake water 3.0

Revival build
Case:Coolermaster Stryker
Mobo:Asus crosshair V formula Z
Ram: 4x8gb kingston hyper Fury 2133hz iirc
Gpu: MSI Radeon 470 4gb or 2 if i find a used one.
Psu: Corsair RM1000x
Coolling:Thermaltake flow 280mm rgb or MSI coreliquid 240r both option push pull.

Have a wonderful day/evening

LRGee

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, the chip is already overclocked. That is all it is, an overclocked FX-8350, that is why the power requirements are so high.

As to the rest of your plan, nothing really wrong with it. 280mm or 360mm (if it fits) is certainly worth it for that CPU. And you can always keep that for the next computer.

LRGee

Honorable
Jul 18, 2015
Well, the chip is already overclocked. That is all it is, an overclocked FX-8350, that is why the power requirements are so high.

As to the rest of your plan, nothing really wrong with it. 280mm or 360mm (if it fits) is certainly worth it for that CPU. And you can always keep that for the next computer.

Thank you! I'm still curious to know how far i can push it, i'm mostly conserned about my mobo heatsink these guys get sooo hot. Any tips for these would be appreciated so far all i got is checking and replacing the past on them.

LRGee

Honorable
Jul 18, 2015
Godspeed on the 9590. That's a little like trying to turbocharge a Yugo.

For what purpose a second 470? SLI/CF has been dead for a long time now. The 290X is a faster GPU anyway.
Thank you
90% of benchmark i looked where on 24 lanes cpu... 290x is discontinued :( i'm stoked for 290x vs 470 i never actually looked... i just assumed it was better wow i feel awkward. A coworker gave it to me... the that 470 is weaker than 290x only give me more hope the 9590.

Last edited:

LRGee

Honorable
Jul 18, 2015
Thank you
90% of benchmark i looked where on 24 lanes cpu... 290x is discontinued :( i'm stoked for 290x vs 470 i never actually looked... i just assumed it was better wow i feel awkward. A coworker gave it to me... the that 470 is weaker than 290x only give me more hope the 9590.

I don't fully understand hyperthreading but ibet if i could code my own optimisations on games this chip would surely compare or maybe even exceed newest chips. I've remember alt tabbing 3 games at once and typing on each window with not even a slight delay, this think crunch numbers like its baby food. ^^

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't fully understand hyperthreading but ibet if i could code my own optimisations on games this chip would surely compare or maybe even exceed newest chips. I've remember alt tabbing 3 games at once and typing on each window with not even a slight delay, this think crunch numbers like its baby food. ^^

1. FX doesn't have hyperthreading, it has a split core system with 4 ALUs being shared out to the 8 'cores' (They were actually sued about this at one point)
  2. Most games would have been optimized more or less at the time, though the Windows scheduler probably does the bulk of the work there
  3. Compared to even contemporary CPUs, it wasn't a very fast processor. Sandy Bridge i7s were more than a match, when Ivy Bridge launched FX chips became budget options. CPU prices got very low for FX, and the FX9000 chips were grossly overpriced, then they were deeply discounted and people started buying them.
  4. Even a Ryzen 3 1200 is a fair match for the FX9590, so is a 3rd gen i7 (stock), or an i3-10100
Passmark of (1815)6685 for the FX, 12900k brings in an impressive (4094)37122
So a single modern high end core is about twice as fast as a FX9590 core. Add the I/O and memory bandwidth and there really isn't a software solution to making it run faster.

A fun project to be sure, but it is already pushing what standard cooling can handle, there won't be a lot of headroom.

LRGee

Honorable
Jul 18, 2015
Update*
I just purchased a thermaltake 3.0 rgb( fpr cpu) , coolermaster 240ml (for gpu) , nzxt bracket for gpu aio cooling adaptor and 2 noctua 140mm 12v 3000 rpm for cpu push/pull. Ill use my corsair fans 120mm on gpu rad push pull. Ill use stock case fan for exhaust and my psu will be a second bottom exhaust. I might be able to close my side panels after years lol also new thermal pads for vrm and chipset ill get all that december 12.

I will also buy liquid metal instead of tm 30 corsair paste most will says that 14 fans (about 75w of fans alone) is overkill but most never ran stable 9590 with an overclocked gpu lol

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
Yup, fun project, but don't go nuts with expectations, or you may end up disappointed. This thing has about the same single-core performance as the Athlon 200GE, an entry-level APU AMD released in 2018. There's only so much performance you're really going to get out of it, no matter the overclock. My advice is to think of it as fun experimentation as it'll be a letdown if you're doing this for practical reasons. This isn't like a classic sports car with a lot of life left in it, but more like a DeLorean; you don't get a DeLorean because it drives well or is fast, you get a DeLorean to be amused by the whole thing and its history and to give people around you a moment of nostalgia.

LRGee

Honorable
Jul 18, 2015
Indeed thanks for letting me know even if its not gonna handle any AAA games on ultra i'm urious about how long i can make this guy last over 60 fps 1440p with aa off etc on competitive games. I'm also wondering how cool thing thing can run. Next step is trying pcie 4 in a pcie 3 slot then i'll have spare hardware for next build. I just wish i has the cash to pulled it off 7 years ago lol for now i will not overclock cpu i believe its well decent enought.

LRGee

Honorable
Jul 18, 2015
This cpu will fall behind in scenes that demand latest technologies in real time rendering like AAA games, super athmospheric ambiances etc. This is obvious.. but even with 4x 290x4gb @8x gaming running with, most tweaked settings to achieve 30+ fps in a AAA game in 1080p i bet this cpu would run at 40%-60% core clock.

Its has much life in it.
I just hope the rainbow shadows around my vrm isn't as bas as it looks. Lol still 8/40 pci-e lanes left so you can run a RAID controller card with 2 evo's in raid 0. Good for minecraft and fast map loading xD i think i just had to say this to someone. Streaming was noticable though. I could maybe recycle this as a streaming pc too. Wifi card xD

Please correct me if i'm wrong!

USAFRet

Titan
I just hope the rainbow shadows around my vrm isn't as bas as it looks. Lol still 8/40 pci-e lanes left so you can run a RAID controller card with 2 evo's in raid 0. Good for minecraft and fast map loading xD i think i just had to say this to someone. Streaming was noticable though. I could maybe recycle this as a streaming pc too. Wifi card xD
RAID 0 + SSD?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-raid-benchmark,3485.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-950-pro-256gb-raid-report,4449.html

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
This cpu will fall behind in scenes that demand latest technologies in real time rendering like AAA games, super athmospheric ambiances etc. This is obvious.. but even with 4x 290x4gb @8x gaming running with, most tweaked settings to achieve 30+ fps in a AAA game in 1080p i bet this cpu would run at 40%-60% core clock.

Its has much life in it.

Please correct me if i'm wrong!
M.2 Raid anything is a bad ideal

LRGee

Honorable
Jul 18, 2015
M.2 Raid anything is a bad ideal
SSD's. M2 would be OS.
PS: not for keeping photos.
6Gbps? You can install your game in ram in seconds using 2866mhz to 4x 1125mhz memory clock of gpu. 😇 since its ram it should be able to keep any "slacking" in information sent to cpu and gpu. I can't imagine this beast slow down.
Heat= Kryptonite

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The problem with the FX is IPC (instructions per clock cycle). At the time, the FX had roughly 66% the IPC of a 3rdGen Intel. That puts your 9590 at a roughly 400% disadvantage to a Ryzen 5600x. And that's very important to FPS.

The cpu takes the code and pre-renders it into a frame instructions package for the gpu. Adds every object, size, detail, background, Ai, pre and post lighting affects, everything the gpu needs to create the frame picture. Every single step is an instruction. The lower the instruction count, the longer it takes to create a frame, the less frames per second that can be shipped to the gpu.

Resolution and detail levels is all on the gpu, that'll raise or lower in fps output, but cannot exceed whatever the cpu gives it. If the cpu can only send 45fps to the gpu, wouldn't make any difference if you had a 3090 in sli, you'd still max out at 45fps at any resolution or detail level.

Modern games are highly instruction intensive, exponentially more instructions just for stuff like AA, photo-realism, shadows, filtering, which didn't exist when the 9590 was new, as there wasn't a gpu that could realistically recreate that level of graphical intensity. You were looking at cards like the gtx690/gtx780ti at best.

Fun project, for sure, but do not expect miricles with fps, it'd be best used with a rtx3080 and 4k monitor, where FPS outputs are naturally lower due to resolution. Either that or a 1080p 60Hz.

Reactions: LRGee