News AMD Allegedly Prepping Three Ryzen 7000 X3D CPUs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
Of those three proposed X3D CPUs, mostly the 8 core CPU will be attractive to gamers, as most games are still not really optimized for large thread counts and the large L3 cash will mostly benefit only lightly-threaded programs. Another point is the price, which will certainly be significantly smaller for the 7800 X3D as opposed to its 12- and 16-core counterparts.

Reactions: Why_Me and rluker5

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
From the 1600 to the 5600 there's a telling difference, it's over double the FPS and the 5600 is just $100 at eBay right now. But from the 5600 to the 7600 or even 7900X3D? I bet you guys that gaming wise, at ultra settings, we won't have 20% plus fps even at 1080p. Set the res at 4K and there won't even be a difference..There's surely a difference from paying $100 vs $600, but not with 20% plus fps at 1080p. Get a 5600+6800 for around $550, that's the real deal right now, or if you are going cheap the 5600+2060 is around $300

Yes, from a game's perspective, this is absolutely correct. The 5600 provides enough oomph even for the most demanding games. This might change in a few years, though, but even then most games will offer settings making them playable with older hardware.
Gone are the times 20+ years ago when some new games demanded the absolutely latest and greatest hardware in order to be playable.

Sep 25, 2022
Well one thing is for certain: no matter the CPU, no matter the brand, no matter the use case, people who need new chips have a buffet to choose from**, and just about everything looks really good. That's a good thing. This generation has been really exciting. I already know what chip I intend to buy, but I keep looking at news for all the others just because everything is looking so powerful, improved, and well-valued, unlike the apocalyptic disaster zone known as the GPU market.

**HEDT users need not apply, RIP

Reactions: jp7189

SunMaster

Prominent
Apr 19, 2022
I find the discussion about the best CPUs interesting. I also find the sales to end users interesting. When I look at Amazon's cpu sales chart right now, the best 9 selling are ryzen zen 3. In 10th spot the 12700K and 11th the 7950x. Then 3 more 13th gen and there 7700x. Clearly the total cost of the newer boards, and memory, required for the last gen CPUs are stopping people from purchasing/upgrading.

You think Intel (or AMD for that matter) 'wins' with extremely power hungry chips? I think that mindset only applies to enthusiasts like me (and you) and gets meaningless for most people. The fact that you need expensive liquid cooling for these chips to run is by itself not particularly good (I run a custom loop so I'm clearly not the average customer).

I believe eco-mode performance, or any sensible power consumption mode, matters much more for most people than accepted by the enthusiast community. 750 watts for a good gaming computer in "active state"? In a time where "green consepts" , the environment and climate never has been more important? Time to get real - applies to, but not limited to, Intel, AMD and Nvidia.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
All the arguments about the X3D cpus being too much even for 4k gaming are fine, but only if you consider 60 fps as the target. >120 Hz monitors are common now, and if anyone wants to play at high refresh rates they must have a very fast CPU.

Also, if they exist, future games will demand more CPU, as it has always been.

These are not value propositions, they are about maximum performance. It's not very valid to compare them to i5's, because their competitors are top-tier CPUs.

Reactions: Why_Me

GustavoVanni

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2013
But 14th gen means new motherboards. So they will be in the same boat that AMD is in now.

Not to mention we haven't yet seen 13th gen non-K skus. If cost is your primary focus, then none of these products are for you.

Ryzen 7600 or i5-13400 when they come out are the mid-range CPUs.
I read somewhere that 13th Gen non-K SKU will be based on Alder Lake, not Raptor Lake. So maybe they wont be much better than 12th Gen.

Last edited:
All the arguments about the X3D cpus being too much even for 4k gaming are fine, but only if you consider 60 fps as the target. >120 Hz monitors are common now, and if anyone wants to play at high refresh rates they must have a very fast CPU.

Also, if they exist, future games will demand more CPU, as it has always been.

These are not value propositions, they are about maximum performance. It's not very valid to compare them to i5's, because their competitors are top-tier CPUs.

The overhead for scaling up in resolution usually falls on the GPU not the CPU.

Fast CPUs benefit twitch fest high refresh low latency competitive gamers at lower resolutions.

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
I think I finally see a worthy CPU upgrade.

My 4790 has served me very well for almost 9 years now, but is ready to retire (although it still runs every game I throw at it!) ;)

Indeed. I do still run a dell vostro computer from 2011 with a Sandy bridge Core i7 CPU. Admittedly, over the years, I have put 2 new ssds, a new GPU and a new power interface in it, and this thing still purrs like a happy cat and is perfectly usable for 90% of tasks including everything office, even for demanding photo-editing, for all things multimedia, for occasional light video editing etc.
A relatively new notebook from early 2020 with Intel 6-core CPU and an nvidia 2700 GPU runs circles around the old computer when doing heavy video editing, but alas, the old one is still perfectly fine for most everyday tasks.

Reactions: PEnns

RichardtST

Notable
May 17, 2022
Ngl, certainly very exciting. Tempting too. But, meh. I'm going to wait until I can get at least a doubling of compute power. This shelling out of hundreds of dollars every time they (or the other guys) produce another 5-10% improvement is for the birds. Give me something SIGNIFICANT.

PlutoDelic

Distinguished
May 31, 2005
If the 5800X3D can keep up with 13th gen most of the time, a 7800X3D will do just fine as the top gaming CPU. 12 and 16 cores, yeah, probably not the best bargain. But there will still be people who want to game fast and then go do productive work, so there is a market.

Nailed it.

I like to game, and would love to get the benefit of 3D cache, but i also need core count and crap loads of RAM for network emulation.

I can go for 5800x3d for gaming and a used 96core xeon server to fulfill my needs, but this comes with a lifetime license of divorce from my wife. It's incredibly stupid how difficult it is to have a machine that can do both gaming and professional work.

Current/Last gen Intel? I cant make use of E-Cores.

HEDT? Practically dead or workstation oriented.

I do however wish AMD can squeeze a few more PCIe lanes, and Quad Channel memory. Having 128GB in AM5 is...horrible. I'm not holding my breath on it though.

Amdlova

Distinguished
Nailed it.

I like to game, and would love to get the benefit of 3D cache, but i also need core count and crap loads of RAM for network emulation.

I can go for 5800x3d for gaming and a used 96core xeon server to fulfill my needs, but this comes with a lifetime license of divorce from my wife. It's incredibly stupid how difficult it is to have a machine that can do both gaming and professional work.

Current/Last gen Intel? I cant make use of E-Cores.

HEDT? Practically dead or workstation oriented.

I do however wish AMD can squeeze a few more PCIe lanes, and Quad Channel memory. Having 128GB in AM5 is...horrible. I'm not holding my breath on it though.
Still using a old 2698v3 @ 3.7ghz, trying to build. 8275cl to use optane dimms 😄 try processo lasso, set the right amount cores to do the work

deepblue08

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
I completely agree that 7950X3D is useless to 99.9% of chip buyers, 7700X3D or 7600X3D would be far more affordable and will kick Intel where it hurts...the average gamer market.

KyaraM

Admirable
Granted I think AMD is stupid enough to launch a 3D cache consumer chip with more than 8 cores, I don't think they're stupid enough to ACTUALLY put a 3D cache consumer chip with more than 8 cores on shelves. Games struggle to use 8 cores, more cores means more heat which means lower clock speeds realized, and more than 8 cores means a higher chance of more than one CCX involved, not to mention the insane cost.
While you are absolutely right that it makes exactly zero sense, unfortunately, there are enough stupid people out there who would actually buy it... and who genuinely believe thwy need more than 8 cores for gaming already.

SunMaster

Prominent
Apr 19, 2022
While you are absolutely right that it makes exactly zero sense, unfortunately, there are enough stupid people out there who would actually buy it... and who genuinely believe thwy need more than 8 cores for gaming already.

Do you think a large part of PC buyers/users use their PC for gaming exclusively?

pgde

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2014
AMD is in a bind. Raptor Lake mopped the floor with Zen 4, can take advantage of lower priced motherboards and significantly cheaper DDR4, and was reasonably priced. New 3D skus will need to be priced knowing these factors. If they come out with a premium price like 5950X3D they will continue to lose market share.

Is there actually a 5950X3D?

newtechldtech

Notable
Sep 21, 2022
I dont get AMD at all. they already have this technology ready and yet did not make it a standard with their new Zen4 CPUs and now after this news NO ONE will buy any AMD CPU until the X3D comes ... AMD is shooting itself in the foot.

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
I was mostly commenting on someone saying they are too expensive and that 14th gen will be out soon. There are cheaper CPUs which is kind of my point. Bottlenecking was not part of the answer.

If you don't want the expensive CPU, then you aren't looking at the expensive GPUs either, so throwing in a 4090 doesn't make a lot of sense.
The problem with AMD is not the CPU price but the motherboard price.

lmcnabney

Prominent
Aug 5, 2022
The problem with AMD is not the CPU price but the motherboard price.
Yes, and also lack of DDR4 support. I was planning on replacing a 4670 with Zen 4 (I have a 1080, so it has held up pretty well). However the cold math eliminated AMD from consideration. AMD has a $75 motherboard premium for equivalent features and a $100+ premium for having to buy pretty spendy DDR5 to provide equivalent speed to DDR4 3600 CL16. For less total money than any Zen 4 setup I could get a 13600k that will pound it.

/Something similar happened when I ended up with Haswell instead of an FX chip

Reactions: thisisaname

KyaraM

Admirable
Do you think a large part of PC buyers/users use their PC for gaming exclusively?
Maybe not, but they also don't do workloads on them that actually needs anything like a 7950X or a 13900K. The vast majority of PCs are office PCs that will rarely, if ever, perform anything worse than handling some Excel sheets, a web browser with a couple open tabs, or maybe some database requests. At my workplace, a mobile 10th gen i7 is the height of CPU power dor most people. In fact, I'm sitting at one of exactly 4 actual workstations at my job, in a building with over 100 people in it, and guess what, they don't run on those CPUs either, they run on Xeons; aka workstation CPUs. The rest uses laptops with CPUs appropriate for office use. Meanwhile, my dad uses his computer for web browsing exclusively and runs an R5 3500U. That is what the majority of all computers looks like.

Now, of course there are some people that can make use of a CPU like a 7950X or a 13900K, but they are professional users and professional users only. This class of CPUs is not, never was and never will be, a gaming CPU. Also, the number of people who really need anything close to that CPU in their jobs are pretty rare, and no, having your newest amateur home video finish 1-2 minutes faster does not count as necessary. People who use their machines for both job (and actually need it for that) and gaming will be even rarer. Claim otherwise if you like, there is nothing changing that simple fact; no, "but people buy it for that!" is not an argument when there are also people driving to the supermarket in a Lamborghini. Also. Current CPUs are already reaching the limits of what current GPUs and even some (mainly older) gaming engines can handle. Look at GamerNexus' latest test of the 13700K for example. In a couple games, he literally capped out multiple of the high-end CPUs in FPS. That includes the 7950X. Slapping hot 3D cache on a CPU that is a) already completely overpowered for gaming and b) barely even coolable even with big AIOs is beyond moronic.

PlutoDelic

Distinguished
May 31, 2005
Maybe not, but they also don't do workloads on them that actually needs anything like a 7950X or a 13900K.

Yes, we do. Although the 13900k would not be logical if core count is the use case. I cant list you many usecases where one would do professional work and game. Let me know if you need that list.

Now, of course there are some people that can make use of a CPU like a 7950X or a 13900K, but they are professional users and professional users only.

I am both. I am 40y, i do professional work, and i game. How hard is that to understand?

This class of CPUs is not, never was and never will be, a gaming CPU.

It can substitute one, very well. It can be for both.

Ideally, i'd have a 4x 12c/24t Xeon server in a rack, locally accessible for my professional needs. That way, i could have a second system with 5800x3d for gaming.

But i cant, many cant. Many people who have a home, a normal home, an apartment limited to use of space home, cannot do that. So we need to strike a middle. Rather then having two separate systems, we can have one.

What many are not taking in to consideration is PRICE. The absolute minimum core count for my needs is 32, either threads or cores. Try researching a build in that realm. HEDT is out of the game cause it's pretty much dead or dissolved in to Workstations. Yes, gaming on these will probably never perform any better than a 5600x. This is where 7950 comes in, and this is where 7950x3D adds to the gaming side too.

Y'all really dont need to fight this thing just because you wont get one.

TRENDING THREADS