AMD/ATI Ships 25 Millionth DirectX 11 GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

compton

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I would have guessed far less... 25 million discrete 5xxx, workstation, and mobile Dx11? is that even possible? I would have assumed that maybe ATI + nVidia together, YTD, might approach that. I'm intrigued... I want more details. That would be like every resident of California purchasing one ATI gpu product in the past 12 months. Factoring in the continued availability of DX10.1 and DX9 units results in a veritable f*ck-ton of gpus. Especially since there are no DX11 chips intergrated into motherboards.

M_with_one_M

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
I'm amazed at how amd and nvidia can still sell their cards one year after release without lowering their prizes. To me at least half the value is gone when the card is one year old. I guess the world is full of suckers.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
If developers continue concentrate on console gaming, and less on PC, I'm afraid I'm going to stop upgrading. We need more PC games that utilize the FULL power of modern PC!, fully optimized...

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Remains to be seen 2011 when AMD will have Bulldozer/llano/Radeon 6xxx series ... it should be a good year financially for AMD with even better results into 2012, i even think they will get a raise in stock market too in the upcoming years.

dreamer77dd

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I wonder if GPU's that we are hearing about in development are pci 3.0 if at all. i like to also see all the cpu core and whatever possible hardware i throw at software to use it also. I just think they wont do it as the time spent making amazing games or the risk for being innovative is costly. I still think we need a lot better developing tools to balance things out. I would think APU will even be more complicated to take full advantage of just going to hope for the best, cheers to the future.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]dreamer77dd[/nom]I wonder if GPU's that we are hearing about in development are pci 3.0 if at all. i like to also see all the cpu core and whatever possible hardware i throw at software to use it also. I just think they wont do it as the time spent making amazing games or the risk for being innovative is costly. I still think we need a lot better developing tools to balance things out. I would think APU will even be more complicated to take full advantage of just going to hope for the best, cheers to the future.[/citation]

I was reading rumors that AMD's Radeon 7xxx series are suppose to support PCI 3.0. If that's the case I'm just going to hold off buying new gpu until my next build in a year or two from now.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
New products or a re branded product? Yeah, they are rebranding now. They mocked Nvidia for it in the past, but now they...
The new 28nm process better be good, or I will buy nvidia next.

dreamer77dd

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
year or 2 Well i believe all be doing the same. AMD APU and Intel new platforms will be on the market. I love to see the benchmarks and the bugs all worked out if their is any. hmm the future hmmm the future so expensive lol

adonn78

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Still waiting on the AMD 6000 series GPU's on Tuesday. AMD has a cooler, quieter, less expensive and generally better product out right now. Performance wise they are great. Nvidia does not have a competitor to the 5970. They are a year behind and just filling in their gaps. AMD coming out with their next gen cards on Tuesday. Give 2 weeks for vendors to stock up and prices to stabilize.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]dreamer77dd[/nom]I wonder if GPU's that we are hearing about in development are pci 3.0 if at all. i like to also see all the cpu core and whatever possible hardware i throw at software to use it also. I just think they wont do it as the time spent making amazing games or the risk for being innovative is costly. I still think we need a lot better developing tools to balance things out. I would think APU will even be more complicated to take full advantage of just going to hope for the best, cheers to the future.[/citation]PCI Express 3.0 probably won't be a big deal because the performance gain going from x8 to x16 was pretty minor. It would definitely help with the data bursts but the maintained speed will probably be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.