AMD Breaks Speed Record With 8.429 GHz Overclock

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
This deserves a giant "WHO CARES?!". Phenom II was able to overclock to like 6 ghz or whatever was significant at the time. Yet Intel's Core2 was able to monster Phenom when it came to overclocking on air/water/TEC. My guess is overclocking performance of BD is lackluster (as expected) if they have to resort to "it'll overclock well on liquid helium!".

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Hi wintermint. :hello: I agree with your post :) ,although I disagree with the "I'm looking forward to bulldozer myself" statement,because I have recently within the last 4 or 5 months bought a Sandy bridge & cougar point chipset combination already. I can not afford to buy another whole load of hardware parts to make another computer. ;) Anyway the amd cpu that was used,was most probably hand picked by AMD itself. ;) I doubt whether I will ever get that high with a stock retail boxed amd cpu from the bulldozer line. ;)

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Now before I start to go along with all this hype,I will wait for the release of amd's bulldozer line up of processors & also wait for a whole lot of benchmards to be done as well. Like I said in another post on this same news articles blog,I do not expect to even be able to match their overclocking experience with a stock retail boxed cpu. They must of hand picked a real good one or more to use on this Guiness World Book of records attempt,which they broke. Do not forget,that they only broke it by just over a 100 MHz.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
GHz don't mean squat. An Intel i7 at 1.6 GHz will mop the floor with a 2.80 GHz AMD Sempron.

[citation][nom]Wish I Was Wealthy[/nom]I doubt whether I will ever get that high with a stock retail boxed amd cpu from the bulldozer line.[/citation]
Well, duh. Do you happen to have liquid nitrogen laying around? And then sprinkle it with some helium?

Since June? Try since last January when Intel released Sandy Bridge. Peeps were asking for Sandy Bridge builds in the New Build forum and the AMD faithful would come into the thread and tell them to hold off that AMD was going to release Bulldozer in another month. That was like 9 months ago.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
[citation][nom]thechief73[/nom]Anyone besides me wondering why the heck in the world that guy is shielding the mobo from LN2 splashing with his HAND!!!! Oh, and I have to agree with some of the other posters... If the chip cant be used in an everyday type of situation at those speeds, its just a fancy display of a useless ability.[/citation]
Anybody with any experience with LN2 knows that the body heat from the hand will instantly vaporize LN2, forming a thin layer of gas that prevents it from actually touching your hand. BTW since when is breaking world records is useful? They're doing it soley for fun and for the records. Cheers

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]thechief73[/nom]Anyone besides me wondering why the heck in the world that guy is shielding the mobo from LN2 splashing with his HAND!!!! [/citation]

Real hardcore PC enthusiasts will sacrifice ones own body to protect their rig. His hand means nothing compared to that motherboard. I sacrifice a goat every week to ensure the Tech Gods watch over and protect my PC.

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Technically speaking, just contact with most surfaces at room temperature will boil the LN2 and cause it to turn into a gas.

So imagine if it hits your hand, with warm blood coursing through it, and pumped by adrenalin at the very thought of OC'ing it to Guinness levels. It will boil and there will be an air gap between the boiling LN2 and your hand. It's like pouring water on a very hot BBQ; the water jumps off and floats around the surface.

Anyways, people should stop hating on the record. It's cool, in both the metaphorical and literal sense, and I'm impressed by it.

Although waiting for BD has been a bitch, I will admit.

G

seriously bulldozer is AMDs baby, it's been in the works for over 4 years now, the exact performance profile of this thing is probably a well guarded secret (good or bad) to prevent spoiling the reveal, those that AMD have trust with advance samples probably have a NDA agreement that involves signing over their soul and first born, anyone foolish enough to leak benchies before the NDA time will risk losing AMD's support and removal from the early sample mailing list as well as any penalty mentioned in the NDA

these guys were given an advance sample of an AMD chip to play with, there is no doubt they took the thing for a test drive before overclocking it, heck then may have even benched it for the fun to see, but they would be foolish to publish any of those, cause chances are if AMD was kind enough to give them an advance sample for this chip, they may well get advance samples for other chips, and that is a far better deal then anythign they would have scored for publishing early benchmarks

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I'm very glad that Bulldozer is living up to the hype we've been building around it, but the record-breaking is hardly breathtaking. It's a record, sure, but it's merely 119mhz over the previous record. Barely 1%.

Meh... forget what I just said. GO BULLDOZER!!! :)

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Everyone of you is missing an important point. This is a first run or engineering sample processor, of a brand new platform. Probably hand picked, but even so, it broke a world record. How many times over the years have we read in Tom's comments, "Nice, but I can overclock MatureProcessorX to get better performance than BrandNewProcessorY," when a new architecture is released. Maybe not this time.

Now to add to the hype: imagine what they will be able to do a couple years down the road, when Bulldozer is mature.

G

Honestly I don't think AMD would bring back the FX brand unless they really had something. And they probably don't want to release benchmarks to show intel exactly where they're at until a week before the CPU is set to come out. Damn friggin Intel fanboi's spreading their diseases all over these comments. AMD/ATI for the win! And for people saying who cares about this feat... I care along with many others who enjoy overclocking their rigs.

jman_26

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
You are so right - GHZ means NOTHING! What means something is: "Will the processor COOK, without having to use Liquid Nitrogen?"

Put some REAL 'teraflops' through that sucker, and THEN come and talk to me! Overclockers are dorks anyway. If you want a faster CPU, *BUY* a faster CPU. Why get a 4GHz cpu, and overlock it to 4.5GHz, when you can just BUY a 6GHz CPU? I'm just sayin' - overclockers have WAY too much time on their hands, and clearly, MOMMY is "buying" your computers, if you guys/gals are saying, "Oh, yeah, I'm just [waiting] for Ivy Bridge or BullDozer, and I'm gonna go drop $1,500 on the newst junk, JUST BECAUSE I [CAN]." So... ALL (or 'most') of you seem to be either AMD or Intel 'fanboys' - just 'buying into the hype' that you just GOT TO HAVE the latest, greatest, even if you don't need it.

I also agree with the other person who said WHY in the world is that dork-meister sheilding the Liquid Nitrogen overflow WITH HIS *HAND!* ???

Anyway, one of my points is: If you buy a system to run your games, and it WON'T run your games WITHOUT 'overclocking,' then you're a loser, period. I know I will catch all kinds of flak for that, but... whatever.

rdsoto

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
jman you make absolutely no sense, because some people like overclocking their "mommy" is buying their computer. buy a faster processor?? Sorry no thanks on buying a 1000$ Intel extreme.. would rather buy a 250$ AMD FX one and overclock it, thanks anyways. And your not catching flak for your opinion your catching flak for your clearly poor arguments(ie they make no sense). On a side note Bulldozer may live up to all the hype your just as clueless as everything else is in the world at the moment.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
What it takes to overclock like this is a very rigorous analysis of signal timing and quality inside the chip during the design phase. Put two transistors too far apart, or have too much capacitance to ground in the signal between them, and the signal won't be able to propagate from the first to the second quickly enough. So with what AMD have done, the slowest critical-path signal propagation between transistors (at least the transistors that were exercised in the test) is (1 / 8.429 GHz) = 0.1186 ns. That is the figure that the previous record couldn't beat, and it does indeed point to an astounding engineering feat. Chances are, you couldn't make either this design or the previous record-holder go any faster, no matter what cooling technology or voltage settings you used, because you simply can't make this signal propagation happen any faster.

The good news for us is that as AMD improves their manuf process to reduce power consumption and heat, they should be able to rachet up the top clock speed without having to worry about signal timing issues. The design can scale.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]reggieray[/nom]ZZZzzz, call me when someone hits 1THz.[/citation]
you are gonna be sleeping for along time if that is what you are waiting for :p

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]digitalgriffin[/nom]What you are failing to note is they hit 8.036 GHz on 8 cores. This is still signifcantly faster than Intel's 6 cores overclock.[/citation]
Except it's not an 8 core processor. It's 4 cores and 4 half assed cores. Congratulations, you fell for AMD's marketing ploy.

johnners2981

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
[citation][nom]beenthere[/nom]The CPUs won't be available for a month so does it matter if the benches are released in 2 or 3 weeks? No it doesn't.[/citation]

Yeah it kind of does, if the benchmarks are good I'll wait for the release of bulldozer, if the benchmarks are crap I'll be able to buy a SB now insteading of waiting even more just to see some benchmarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS