AMD Breaks Speed Record With 8.429 GHz Overclock

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nikkidpartypooper

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

Hay! I agree with you wish i was wealthy and i think that this bulldozer will quickly run out of diesel when the rest of intel's gear is out. :lol:

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
The purpose of doing things like this is just to do it. Of course you arent going to have a processor that will run at 8+GHz for daily use at our current tech level. They are doing it just to push the limits of the processor and obviously to get their names immortalized in GBoWR.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
To be honest this isn't as impressive as it looks on the surface. First, they disabled all but two cores, which likely cut back on heat output greatly. It also likely that disabling the other 6 cores meant that many of the longer, more timing sensitive circuits were off as well.

They didn't even run stability tests, they just booted and recorded. If they had done this with all 8 cores running, and had run, say super PI, for even a minute I'd be far more impressed.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
STFU with the benchmarks! This article isn't about benchmarks of BD. And stop mentioning Intel. Geez, if you want to complain and moan about BD benchmarks, do it in the BD Rumors thread.

flclkun

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
the question is. will it still beat intels CPUs in real world applications and performance? probably not. the Phenom II has amazing OC's for its time, yet it still got raped by intels line up during that time as well. When you are a multi-billion dollar company like intel, things like this will never worry you.

dkraptor

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
[citation][nom]DSpider[/nom]GHz don't mean squat. An Intel i7 at 1.6 GHz will mop the floor with a 2.80 GHz AMD Sempron.
Well, duh. Do you happen to have liquid nitrogen laying around? And then sprinkle it with some helium?[/citation]
WOW. I7 and Sempron? LoL why you didn't compare it with a K6-2? By the way, what's the price difference between them?

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Somehow, this isn't nearly as impressive as a long-term stable overclock. 5ghz 24hr stable is much more impressive than a short term 8Ghz overclock that requires a steady supply of liquid nitrogen or friggin' helium to achieve.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]blubbey[/nom]I hope these aren't the speeds needed to beat Sandy Bridge[/citation]

Hah, the people giving you a thumbs down are running AMD processors :p

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]iamtheking123[/nom]Except it's not an 8 core processor. It's 4 cores and 4 half assed cores. Congratulations, you fell for AMD's marketing ploy.[/citation]
Actually the processor used was the FX-8150 which has 8 cores.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]Hah, the people giving you a thumbs down are running AMD processors[/citation]
Uh, no. It was simply because some people either don't kind that funny or if he was serious, then that was just a silly comment that was unnecessary. For all me know, the FX-8150 could beat an i7 2600K. Even if it doesn't, but performs well for an 8-core CPU under $300, then that's impressive.

upgrade_1977

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
MHz doesnt matter, benchmarks matter. Nobody is gonna game everyday with LN2. Everyone knows MHz for MHz intel cpu's are more powereful, if they want to prove something do it at stock or equivalent clocks in benchmarks, or beat intel in price vs. Performance..

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]acasel[/nom]a 5ghz bulldozer on air would be nice to run every day amd and bulldozer ftw![/citation]

Till you get your utility bill! ...I wonder what the TDP was of the chip at that speed...

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Well, isn't this the first time in many, many years (since before NetBurst came out?) that an AMD CPU now has the world record overclock? As I recalled, every single prior record was for an Intel chip; first the Pentium 4s, and then, EVENTUALLY, later Core i7s managed to take their place. (I don't recall Core 2s ever out-OC'ing P4s, even if they were still more powerful)

Yes, it's true that they had to not use LN2, but in fact use liquid helium, (which has the lowest boiling point of all elements, at a 4.22 Kelvins, making it vastly lower than the 77.36 K for nitrogen) but the fact remains is that it got there at all.

So what's this going to mean to the rest of us enthusiasts? I'm hoping this gives us a hint on Bulldozer's overclocking ability. Even if BD fails to manage to produce a better top-chip than SB has, if we can spend $200US or less on a BD and expect to reasonably (aftermarket air or water) cool and OC it to well beyond that, AMD will have themselves a winner, at least among the overclocker crowd.

Why do they even bother... Its not like that speed has any real use unless you have a thermal reactor or some shit.
Overclocking meant something when in 775 socket it was either 20 fps on crysis or 40 after oc. Now, whats the diffrence between a 2500k 4.5ghz and 5ghz?

But its true, you can brag about it :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.