AMD Breaks Speed Record With 8.429 GHz Overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
If there's time to beat the guiness world record overclock speed with bulldozer... why isn't there "time" to release some benchmarks for us consumers to see if it's worth the wait?

Generally the lack of Bulldozer implies that the product is not as good as it said it should be. No, I'm not an Intel fanboy.. I'm looking forward to bulldozer myself :p

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]Eat your heart out Intel.[/citation]
Their record was set with 2 cores / 2 threads. So far, nacho_arroyo has gotten 7.1GHz with 6 cores / 12 threads. That the Intel 7.1GHz eats the 8.4GHz AMD for breakfast. Not to mention that the 980X debuted well over a year ago, and is still going strong. :)

j3ff86

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]beenthere[/nom]Ferchrissakes folks stop whining... Bulldozer benches will be availalbe in a few week. Jeeesssh.[/citation]
That's what people have generally been saying since June. I can guarantee you that there won't be benchmarks next week.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
wait...they said "we're not going to run any benchmarks". Even if something overclocks insanely, it doesn't mean you can actually use it. I overclocked my 9600GT from it's stock values of 600/800/1500 to 770/1121/1955. It even ran all sandra GPU benchmarks but couldn't even run Halo CE.

With all due respect to what they've done here, take this with a pinch of salt...

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Yeah....after watching the video, I'm convinced that they're all gay.

I wonder if they'll use extreme measures to find out how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop. *rolls eyes*

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]beenthere[/nom]Ferchrissakes folks stop whining... Bulldozer benches will be availalbe in a few week. Jeeesssh.[/citation]

Nobody's whining that we have to wait some more. What we're complaining about is the hype that's being spewed.

beenthere

Distinguished
No hype, just AMD setting another Guinness World Record. It's cool and noteworthy. Why people are having a canary because the Zambezi benches have not been released yet is beyond me. AMD always has some cool stuff to announce at IDF to piss Intel off. Today it was a World Record with Bulldozer and the fact that they will run up to 5 Gig. on air without too much issue with good cooling. They also demoed the next 28nm laptop GPU running before Nividia. It's all good.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Not sure it should really count considering it is multiple processors on a single chip created to work together. Divide it by the number of cores they use, then you get the actual speed of a single processor and that would be no where near what they are saying.

beenthere

Distinguished
The speed, i.e. frequency of the processor has nothing to do with how many cores they use. The whole point was to see how high they could clock the CPU - period. They aren't suggesting that you could actual run benches or apps like this, it's just an exercise in overclocking.

solomonshv

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
OK, this is what this video proves: It's not hard to get a bunch of virgins and liquid Helium in one room. Got it!

Now here is my question, will the bulldozer help me do what I do? Will they have a model that can out do my i7 990x? I need a CPU with some serious number crunching power. All these delays and failed hype tactics are telling me NO.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Anyone besides me wondering why the heck in the world that guy is shielding the mobo from LN2 splashing with his HAND!!!!

[EDIT] Sorry it seems I have been corrected several times below about the LN2. I have never had any hands on experience with the stuff, just seemed like it could cause you harm if not handled carefully.

Oh, and I have to agree with some of the other posters... If the chip cant be used in a normal everyday type of situation at those speeds, its just a fancy display of a useless ability. Don't get me wrong I am not saying that achieving a world record is not impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.