AMD Bulldozer Speed Record Broken Again at 8.58GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcarthurii

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
But can it run Crysis?

I mean realistically, this has no value. Why have a toilet plated in gold if you cant crap in it? No matter how high you OC, its on two of the 8 cores and it still would get smoked by a i7 2600k ocd to a usable 5ghz on ALL cores.

Complete Gimmick

wcarthurii

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
[citation][nom]SmileyTPB1[/nom]I'm waiting for the first stupid "But can it play Crysis?" comment[/citation]

wish granted! =D

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
I totally agree it may be record breaking but it's not useable. No consumer will cool their computer with liquid nitrogen. Whats the best OC he can get with say good old liquid cooling? or Simple to use Air cooling, that's something I would really pay attention too and really be useful

viridiancrystal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]Jul. 26, 2000"Intel predicts 10GHz chips by 2011"fail.[/citation]

dunno, the way its looking the second gen 22nm's from intel may break 9GHz

G

"I bet a Sandy Bridged air cooled, OC'd to 4.8 GHz will out perform a 8.5 GHz Bulldozer at 8.5 GHz."

Actually, it won't, not even close. They both can OC to 4.8ghz, where they trade blows on many benchmarks, while everyone harps about a few benchmarks they regressed on vs Phenom II. Depending on what you use your computer for, Bulldozer may actually be a better CPU.

"dunno, the way its looking the second gen 22nm's from intel may break 9GHz"

Why would you assume that, it may have a cold bug other problem with extreme OCing? Even if it actually did, the people that are saying "who cares" now would magically find a way to care. Go look at the comments section from the last Tom's article where Intel broke an OC record, nothing but high-fives all the way around, even though it really is useless.

[citation][nom]goatsetung[/nom]Is a liquid nitrogen overclock usable? No. Then it's not interesting other than as a gimmick.[/citation]

Think that says it all. It really should be a race of how many instructions per second, then how many ghz you can go. It's like reving your engine, it might be cute, but if you only have one gear, you're not going very fast.

G

Should this even count? He's getting a quarter of the cores on the die to a high speed, sure, but I don't think most folks who buy that chip will want just dual core for that price point. Get all the cores at that speed, and then I MIGHT be impressed.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
No one cares. No one is going to care until they sell them at that speed, and even then no one will care because you will need a small nuclear reactor to power your computer.

alphadark

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Looking at benchsmarks on how this processor performs at around 5 gigherz a core is pretty remarkable; However these processors are so badly manufactured that they can't do this efficiently. If AMD figures out how to manufacture this architecture correctly they might still have a chance. I will not be holding my breathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.