G

Can anybody TELL ME how to read the AMD CHIP codes?

A lot of discussions on the forums regarding AXIAs, AVIAs, 200 vs 266, Dresden vs Austin etc !

Then, Question 2 .... for the smart people on this forum, can you give me any insight on WHAT the CODES could mean to a Overclocker .... which codes are Valuable and What they mean.

Thanks

Iwill KK226 AMD1.13AVIA

G

> Can anybody TELL ME how to read the AMD CHIP codes?

Look at the CPU under decent light and (with the possible aide of a magnifying glass) read the letters/numbers using the following table as a means for decryption...A=A, B=B, etc. Hint, this can't be done without removing the heat sink.

>can you give me any insight on WHAT the CODES could mean to a Overclocker .... which codes are Valuable and What they mean.

As with most things that look like serial numbers, they indicate when and where the chips were made so that if a defect is found in a certain batch they can say "We're recalling the ones that say ASDF on them". Exactly what they mean is unknown but it is reported that chips that say AXIA on them are really good for overclocking and AVIA is also decent.

200 and 266 indicate the speed (in MHz) of the FSB (front side bus) that the CPU is capable of running. 200MHz is actually a double pumped 100MHz bus and 266MHz is actually a double pumped 133MHz bus.

Dresden Germany and Austin Texas are the locations at which AMD CPUs are manufactured. The ones from Dresden have copper interconnects (faster and cooler) and generally become retail or boxed versions (with a 3 year warranty). Ones from Texas have Aluminum interconnects (higher temps, slightly slower) and these end up as OEM chips (with 30 or 90 day warranty). Of course, that is highly generalized information. There's quality testing also to determine which chips end up as retail vs OEM, 200vs266MHz FSB, etc.