AMD Claims 'Fastest Graphics Card in the World'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

(1) so you meant TOM configure nVidia correctly but did something wrong with ATI one? Can you stop saying something similar to "It's nVidia friendly." as long as it doesn't favor ATI?

(2)
1288596806JDsZFK1bAE_8_2_l.png

Sure, MLAA is better than no AA. Thanks for telling us this. LMAO!

Should you suggest all reviewers to turn off AA on nVidia when comparing them with AMD cards in AA test?

And why bother coming to reputable sites (such as TOM and Anandtech) if you don't trust them? Go back to your "hardocp".

(3) Yes. However, nVidia doesn't lie to customers like AMD. The claimed performance from nVidia is not based on REDUCED IMAGE QUALITY LIKE from amd!.

(4) Every single proof is false in your opinion as long as it doesn't favor AMD. That's what we call AMD fanboy.

(5) Wow, your good grammar does help a lot in spreading misinformation. BTW, the excuse for my poor grammar is your bothersome poor sense/logic.

How much did AMD pay you for being a professional AMD fanboy?

G

Personally, the only reason I buy a graphics card is for AA. I'm a professional anti-aliasing engineer, I remove aliasing from ridiculously over-zoomed images for pleasure and profit, therefore I can't get by with anything other than 580s in 3-way SLI.

Now, it's a well known fact that anti-aliasing is the epitome of a turd-polishing contest; you can't improve image quality beyond what's captured in the image/texture samplerate; you can only try to make the artifacts less obvious. Furthermore, since games aren't rendering still shots, but large environments that are constantly moving, AA just isn't very noticeable unless you're taking screenshots.

Now, some AMD fanboys suggest that playable frame rates are more important than subtle differences in image quality, but us professional anti-aliasing engineers know that they are just a uneducated and simple-minded.

btto

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
lol andy5174 you sound a lot like a fanboy, don't try to convince others, if they don't want to believe you its their problem, maybe amd cheats image quality, maybe not, who cares, as long as the consumer who bought it is satisfied its ok (look at people that buys apple they pay more for the same, but they are happy with the purchase)

I'll be reading the review after this. However, it looks like AMD's maxed out with this generation - NVidia shouldn't have difficulty beating it with a dual-GPU solution of its own.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

Gosh! Another account created just for trolling.

Besides, it's AMD fanboys trying to convince others by spreading misinformation.

Nesto1000

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
[citation][nom]andy5174[/nom](1) so you meant TOM configure nVidia correctly but did something wrong with ATI one? Can you stop saying something similar to "It's nVidia friendly." as long as it doesn't favor ATI?(2) Sure, MLAA is better than no AA. Thanks for telling us this. LMAO!Should you suggest all reviewers to turn off AA on nVidia when comparing them with AMD cards in AA test?And why bother coming to reputable sites (such as TOM and Anandtech) if you don't trust them? Go back to your "hardocp".(3) Yes. However, nVidia doesn't lie to customers like AMD. The claimed performance from nVidia is not based on REDUCED IMAGE QUALITY LIKE from amd!.(4) Every single proof is false in your opinion as long as it doesn't favor AMD. That's what we call AMD fanboy.(5) Wow, your good grammar does help a lot in spreading misinformation. BTW, the excuse for my poor grammar is your bothersome poor sense/logic.How much did AMD pay you for being a professional AMD fanboy?[/citation]

Trolls will be trolls.... ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
FYI I own an nVidia card (GTX 465) you one-sided fanboy. You can't see past "OMGOMGOMG nVidia is so much better than AMD!"
Besides, there are driver updates which makes your comments irrelevant in most cases.
You must be mad that you can't get your hands on that GPU. ;)
Yea that must be the problem.
p.s. I'm not going to feed your trolling anymore and I stop at this comment.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

What's the point of your post? Trolling only!

p.s. HD6870 cost about the same when I bought my GTX460. I simply chose 460 instead after reading Tom and Anandtech's review. It's not that I can't get my hand on that GPU; it's just me NOT WANTING TO get my hand on that GPU. Oh and the new ATI driver fix the image quality issue BY REDUCING THE FPS/PERFORMANCE.

neoverdugo

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
what a shame. amd should stop with the lies and competition and start innovating and optimizing its drivers along with the hardware so that one could get better graphics, detailing at a better price tag. I'm the type of guy that buys the thing that knows that will do the job. no matter it's amd-intel-nvidia etc... the point is I'm a cheap bastard cuz my cash-flow ain't wide enough to buy a mid-ranged discrete video card. also the current economical model is a total failure causing me and many people unable to buy a decent price/performance desktop.

Bottom line is: AMD, stop being a Giant Douche and get to work properly.

batman4u

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
since yesterday all this annoying discussion about image quality and started to make a real investigation on image quañity and saw that GURU3D.com makes comparisons of games on a daily basis

they concluded that their is no real difference between graphic cards and even in the so called cheat mode made by ATI which AMD calls "Optimized" and they show 2560x1600 (highest res) pictures and not Gif or JPG which everyone knows that are compressed and from reading diferent forums... concluded

GET A GOOD MONITOR AND LEARN HOW TO CALIBRATE IT NVIDIA FANBOYS

was considering buying an Nvidia 560TI but the idea of belonging to a Nagging club of fanboys... no thanks ill get me a 6950

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Andy stop trolling i always go with the one that gets me the most bang for my buck(as do most of us). Besides what have either of these companies ever done for any of us? They never cooked for me, payed my mortgage, or saved my life. I get kind of sad when i see fanboys because deep down inside i always no that all this typing is all for naught. Besides remember this? http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asrock-e350m1-amd-brazos-zacate-apu,2840-6.html

we_san

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
You ever heard anyone bought AMD cards complaining the picture quality in games. Only your sore eyes get irritated and thats because of the fact that YOU ARE one of Nvidiots (different from Nvidia users).

you=you know who

tajisi

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Technical flamewar aside, how much heat are these current dual GPU cards throwing out? Are we down to reasonable levels or can I heat a small apartment while gaming at no additional cost?

vibhas

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010
[citation][nom]darkguset[/nom]NVIDIA 480 anyone?... lol[/citation]

I'm a neutral bystander really.. but I believe that Nvidia really have something with the and GTX 460 and the 5XX series, whilst AMD won the 4XXX and much of the 5XXX series esp. 5970.

However, this 6990 is a full 61 decibels at load. The gtx 480 was really loud, but still 'only' 51~.. the 480 was a complete failure and it was comparatively much quieter than the 6990. I think the 6990 is not going to sell.

The 480 was loud, the best performance its company had and still failed. The 6990 really needs to quieten down, even at the expense of some performance, it really is 15db louder than it ought to be.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
The 6990 wasn't designed with a large fan or water cooling solution, that's why it's so loud. Yes, it's unfortunate, and yes, it was a bad idea, but AMD is not really going to be sitting there expecting the 6990 to sell like hotcakes (pun not intended) because it's a niche product and niche products only cater for a tiny segment of the consumer base. Those people who wanted a 6990 before will either stick with their original choice regardless of noise or get two 6970s; either way, AMD gets their money.

I want to see what custom 6990s can do... hopefully they'll be cheaper than the custom 5970s were.

And please, can everyone stop with the image quality rubbish? nVidia isn't entirely blameless; I can still plainly remember them cheating like mad to get better 3dmark scores. Moreover, if you're an enthusiast gamer, aren't you going to check the settings anyway? If so, why would it matter if a slider has been pushed to the left when you're only going to change it anyway?

There's an interesting article about ATi's use of FP16 Demotion which improves performance and reduces image quality in some circumstances and not in others, and nVidia's hatred of the idea that they actually approved of in the first place: http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/Feature/232215,ati-cheating-benchmarks-and-degrading-game-quality-says-nvidia.aspx/1

A couple of other points to note: When has AMD ever made a driver that tanked your card? And let's not forget the EVGA GeForce GTX 460 FTW that nVidia threw at Anandtech in order to steal thunder from the 6870 and 6850 review. Maybe AMD deserved that a little for the Fermi video they made, but needless to say, both companies engage in shady activities and it would be wrong to single AMD out for it.

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]vibhas[/nom]I'm a neutral bystander really.. but I believe that Nvidia really have something with the and GTX 460 and the 5XX series, whilst AMD won the 4XXX and much of the 5XXX series esp. 5970.However, this 6990 is a full 61 decibels at load. The gtx 480 was really loud, but still 'only' 51~.. the 480 was a complete failure and it was comparatively much quieter than the 6990. I think the 6990 is not going to sell.The 480 was loud, the best performance its company had and still failed. The 6990 really needs to quieten down, even at the expense of some performance, it really is 15db louder than it ought to be.[/citation]

This difference is that performance of a 480 is no way near a 6990. 6990 OFFERS BETTER PERFORMANCE PER WATT THAN THE GTX580...(ref TPU).

[citation][nom]Restatement3dofTed[/nom]It's amazing what you can do when you're willing to completely disregard noise and heat.[/citation]
Noise OK but heat is in check. The 6990 is 6 degrees cooler than a 480 and 5 degrees cooler than a 470. With a dual GPU card that is amazing.
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4209/35818.png

Looks as tho Nvidia will have to use something less than 2 570's due them using 90 watts more than a 6990 OC'ed to the max.
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4209/35816.png

we_san

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
[citation][nom]nvidia_payz_me2troll[/nom]Personally, the only reason I buy a graphics card is for AA. I'm a professional anti-aliasing engineer, I remove aliasing from ridiculously over-zoomed images for pleasure and profit, therefore I can't get by with anything other than 580s in 3-way SLI. Now, it's a well known fact that anti-aliasing is the epitome of a turd-polishing contest; you can't improve image quality beyond what's captured in the image/texture samplerate; you can only try to make the artifacts less obvious. Furthermore, since games aren't rendering still shots, but large environments that are constantly moving, AA just isn't very noticeable unless you're taking screenshots.Now, some AMD fanboys suggest that playable frame rates are more important than subtle differences in image quality, but us professional anti-aliasing engineers know that they are just a uneducated and simple-minded.[/citation]
If you're professional gets quadro that is for professional. If not than you're one of the kind "you know who" is.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]history shows that nvidia never puts their highest end single gpu cards in their dual gpu card... it'll probably be two gtx 560 ti's in therecould you even fit in your case? i know i can't[/citation]

Even if They do so, they're going to play on the fact that AMD's card has other problems like noise and heat. Because two 560 Tis can't outperform two 6970s in any situation
[citation][nom]andy5174[/nom]Even nVidia card's image quality in DX9 is on par with AMD cards in DX11[/citation]

Quoting from the same review & The Same page

"The good news is that none of these differences are show stoppers, and if I hadn't scrutinized the screenshots, I'd never have noticed."

Also, this article dates back to April 2010 and much has happened since that time. I recall a more recent piece where Nvidia accused AMD of cheating to improve the performance of their cards and AMD responded by telling the whole world that they can disable Catalyst A.I. to get rid of all the optimizations.

All in all, AMD's AA workaround is good enough for me as the article you referred to clearly stated that careful side-by-side observation is the only way to identify the difference. Clearly, no gamer will ever play a game to identify image quality issues that are barely noticeable.

Very sorry for the long post.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I am still waiting either for Subway to sue AMD for marketing a "footlong"... or for AMD to offer it for $5.

The 6990 may be the fastest GPU you would ever need... and never want. Yay that two in crossfire can play Crisis at very high w/ AA in 3D at 2560 x 1600. But as long as I have to put the thing in a different room due to the cooling and noise-abatement requirements (I think my HOA requires a permit for this much noise, TBH), I can choose to use 3 or four 6970s instead.

This was a wonderful exercise in theoretical engineering. But until noise and heat are back under control, it's not such a wonderful product. I applaud the chip design teams and the driver teams for making something this powerful, but the board design teams aren't done yet. They need to get back to their desks and finish their jobs - just like what the NV board design teams had to do with the 480.

verbalizer

Distinguished

^
the most logical statement made thus far....
IMO of course.. :ange:

Status
Not open for further replies.