AMD Confirms Six-Core 'Thuban' Consumer CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I have read that AMD plans on a 12-core Opteron CPU by Q2 2010. It's too bad that they couldn't leap frog over Intel and go for the throat by releasing desktop and server 12-core CPUs simultaneously. I am sure there would be a market for a $400 12-core 2.6 GHz CPU if AMD released it. Make an AMD AM3 Extreme motherboard which is basically a rebadged server motherboard with two AM3 sockets on it and 8 ram slots.
24 cores, 16GB DDR3 ram, and two 5870x2 in crossfire - drool!!!

But, I will gladly take a 3.0+ GHz six-core AMD Processor for $245. Maybe by Q2 2010, the prices for 4GB modules of DDR3 memory will have dropped significantly.

Kaiser_25

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Idonno i still think the core i7 side by side will be close, hope to see the comparison of the benchmarks. And Intels Westmere core wont be too shabby either..

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Kaiser_25[/nom]Idonno i still think the core i7 side by side will be close, hope to see the comparison of the benchmarks. And Intels Westmere core wont be too shabby either..[/citation]

I hate to compare them, because when it comes down to it, majority of the buyers pick AMD for cost and/or brand loyalty.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]godwhomismike[/nom]I am sure there would be a market for a $400 12-core 2.6 GHz CPU if AMD released it.[/citation]

You can't have dual AM3 socket motherboard. AM3 socket is not built for multi-CPU. AM3 has no provision for CPU-to-CPU communication like Socket F has.

I am not sure about how to use six cores. Maybe as X Window server for general home computing?

Kaiser_25

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]godwhomismike[/nom]I hate to compare them, because when it comes down to it, majority of the buyers pick AMD for cost and/or brand loyalty.[/citation]

Price is huge i understand but, typically for enthusiasts we are more converned with

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]ryanegeiger[/nom]How many app's would even take advantage of this?[/citation]
Writing multithreaded apps is not a walk in the park, but even if you run only single threaded apps you can take advantage of multiple core system. Just look your toolbar. How many apps are running at all time. In addition if you using browser like Chrome that creates separate process for each tab you going to feel the benefits of extra 2 cores. Price you pay is the power and heat.

tektek

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
sometimes some news can make a tear run down ur eyes...not a fanboy.. love the core2duo chips.. but this is some good news for all techies!!

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Writing multithreaded applications is what I am focusing on in grad school. Next semester, I am taking a Parallel Computing course, where I will be writing applications for 32, 64, and 128 processor supercomputers.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]ryanegeiger[/nom]How many app's would even take advantage of this?[/citation]
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]god knows. there are barely any apps out now that even take advantage of quad cores[/citation]
You guys forget that, *WE* will take advantage of this because WE are the sorts of people who are typically running half a dozen (or more) different apps at the same time. Even if few apps take advantage of multi-cores, the OS takes advantage of multi-cores, and that's really what matters. Besides, the next generation of games will likely be written to take advantage of 4+ cores. The gaming industry is always writing games for tomorrow's technology.

xaira

Distinguished
[citation][nom]godwhomismike[/nom]I am sure there would be a market for a $400 12-core 2.6 GHz CPU if AMD released it. Make an AMD AM3 Extreme motherboard which is basically a rebadged server motherboard with two AM3 sockets on it and 8 ram slots.24 cores, 16GB DDR3 ram, and two 5870x2 in crossfire - drool!!!But, I will gladly take a 3.0+ GHz six-core AMD Processor for $245. [/citation]

the amd 12 core cpu will be 2 new gen 6 core chips glued together on a g34 socket, it wont be backward compatible, but it will be good to see a 12 core cpu for desktop environment.

and dont get ur clock hopes too high for thuban, amd has already said that the clocks wont be as high as current gen phenom ii x4

G

Finally everyone will be able to play crysis and run antivirus scan at the same time. And still have enough processing power left to compute some Boinc project in the background :)

werfu

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
[citation][nom]godwhomismike[/nom]I have read that AMD plans on a 12-core Opteron CPU by Q2 2010. It's too bad that they couldn't leap frog over Intel and go for the throat by releasing desktop and server 12-core CPUs simultaneously. I am sure there would be a market for a $400 12-core 2.6 GHz CPU if AMD released it. Make an AMD AM3 Extreme motherboard which is basically a rebadged server motherboard with two AM3 sockets on it and 8 ram slots.24 cores, 16GB DDR3 ram, and two 5870x2 in crossfire - drool!!!But, I will gladly take a 3.0+ GHz six-core AMD Processor for $245. Maybe by Q2 2010, the prices for 4GB modules of DDR3 memory will have dropped significantly.[/citation]

That would be utterly cool, but AMD wont do this again. They tried with Quad FX, but they failed miserably. Dual socket system cost too much to make for the gain you get in gaming and professionals have no need for a game oriented system. They already use dual socket F+ motherboard with opterons and they can run multiple card for rendering in their system without the need for a SLI or Crossfire sticker on it.

BTW nothing is stopping you to buy a Tyan board with dual socket (like http://www.tyan.com/product_SKU_spec.aspx?ProductType=MB&pid=651&SKU=600000130) equip it with two 4890 graphic card and pwn n00bs using your uber costy rig that work the same a i7 would have done for the same price :p

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
The Only advantadge is my Seti@home. The rest ? Well, things arent yet optimized for Quad-core, much less for six, eight or twelve.

Anyway, i won't replace my 955 BE for this one.

loneninja

Distinguished
Depending on price I may replace my Phenom 9850 for this one, simply because I do a lot of 3d rendering on that machine. I've got a Phenom II X4 in my gaming rig that I won't replace for a 6 core, I would loose performance dropping to the lower clock speeds.

G

People shouldn't say "Barely any apps", they should say "Barely any apps THAT I CARE ABOUT". Plenty of apps could use 6 cores today, but people on here think that games are the only apps out there. I would've bought this if it were out when I built my PhenomII 940BE, although I'm currently not running out of CPU power(audio production), so it's a matter of how much overkill, but I could definitely use all 6 cores today...

T3kl0rD

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
We are all waiting for apps to catch up to quad cores. Hexa cores are a great innovation but too soon to be utilized. They should focus on perfecting the quads for now IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.