News AMD Corrects Socket AM5 for Ryzen 7000 Power Specs: 230W Peak Power, 170W TDP

Goddang it AMD... So now the TDP is 170W, up from 105W on their higher end parts and the PPT has moved from 142W to 230W. I hope that is now clear? I wonder if they'll clarify this yet again at some other point, lol.

That is a massive increase in power consumption for an all-core workload. I wonder if the efficiency has suffered from it. AVX512 and the addition of the iGPU must be weighing heavily. It could also be a preparation for the future generations as well. Maybe Zen4, specifically, won't be using that much, but later ones will. Currently, an OC'ed 5950X can indeed reach over 200W in some all-core workloads and have very good performance, so I'd imagine this is a similar thing?

Regards.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
I doubt that AMD wont release power efficient versions of their CPUs, if they don't then we can just make them efficient through BIOS settings if that is a primary concern.

That's really the case with any CPU, you can always under volt. The question is, will you be able to do it on all chipsets or just top end.

Reactions: KyaraM
I'm hoping that the 230W peak number is really a peak number. Like, something that we won't see outside of Prime95 w/AVX.
I'm okay with 230W if that really is the max, with the memory controller running at full supported speeds. I won't be okay with these new chips getting to 230W regularly with standard workloads or games.

We'll see, I guess.

SunMaster

Prominent
Apr 19, 2022
I'm hoping that the 230W peak number is really a peak number.

I doubt it is. When running e.g. cinebench my PBOd 5950x looks like this :

5950-watt.png

Reactions: alceryes

SunMaster

Prominent
Apr 19, 2022
So all that needs to be done is compare AMD overclocked with Intel overclocked - for comparing something apple-ish to apple-ish, instead of one stock all defaults and the other one full throttle no limits.

Last edited:
Reactions: alceryes
I doubt it is. When running e.g. cinebench my PBOd 5950x looks like this :

5950-watt.png

That's where I'm hoping AMD sticks to the 230W package power maximum.
We already know that the 5950x's TDP is laughably low. But it seems that AMD is 'making corrections' here, hopefully to avoid the issues that both AMD and Intel have suffered in the past with publishing too low TDP numbers without explaining the limitations of the number they gave.

SunMaster

Prominent
Apr 19, 2022
That's where I'm hoping AMD sticks to the 230W package power maximum.
We already know that the 5950x's TDP is laughably low. But it seems that AMD is 'making corrections' here, hopefully to avoid the issues that both AMD and Intel have suffered in the past with publishing too low TDP numbers without explaining the limitations of the number they gave.

Well, the PPT for my x570 AM4 board is 142 watts (as per AMDs standard), yet I've had peaks of 240+ watts with 210+ sustainable. With AM5 I assume there will be 300+ watts available on the higher end motherboards with sufficient cooling.

Reactions: KyaraM and alceryes
Well, the PPT for my x570 AM4 board is 142 watts (as per AMDs standard), yet I've had peaks of 240+ watts with 210+ sustainable. With AM5 I assume there will be 300+ watts available on the higher end motherboards with sufficient cooling.
Ouch. Were those peaks during CPU benches/tests? Do you see 210W while gaming, for instance? I'm actually okay with the 230W peak when benchmarked. It's the average, everyday that I don't want to see another 100W increase in.
I may pick up a good 1000W PSU over the summer if I see a good sale - I plan to move from my aging Z370 when Zen 4 comes out.

The PSU market may be stretched a bit thin come end of the year.

SunMaster

Prominent
Apr 19, 2022
210 sustained, i.e. it stays at 210 during the entire test. But very few programs use power as those tests, so it's not really an issue (for me).

thanny

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
"AMD's statement doesn't specifically call out the Ryzen 7000 series, but those processors will drop into the AM5 socket, so it's fair to assume that we will see 170W versions"

No it isn't fair to assume that. It's not outside the realm of possibility, but it's not so likely as to warrant assumption.

"the TDP value basically mirrors power consumption when all of the processor's cores are under load and not in a boosted state — i.e., running at base frequency"

This is wrong. Badly wrong.

SunMaster

Prominent
Apr 19, 2022
"AMD's statement doesn't specifically call out the Ryzen 7000 series, but those processors will drop into the AM5 socket, so it's fair to assume that we will see 170W versions"

No it isn't fair to assume that. It's not outside the realm of possibility, but it's not so likely as to warrant assumption.

I think it's entirely fair to assume and also very logical that we'll (eventually) get 170 watt version CPUs for the 170 watt TDP AM5 socket, as we've had 105 watt version CPUs for the 105 watt TDP AM4 socket. Why on earth would we not get that?

Reactions: KyaraM