AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ CUDA came out first. Now its on OpenCL to displace it. And people like me do NOT like having to change our S/W every few years. Thats part of the problem.

Secondly, in those markets, you have VERY limited chances to upgrade. And lets face it, Intel/NVIDIA are the more known brands, so they always get first look. NVIDIA also tends to have much more corporate support (EG: your desktop PC has a NVIDIA card, you need to upgrade, which brand are you going to? Exactly)

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/industry-and-economy/info-tech/we-are-at-the-dawn-of-the-pc-era-says-amd-india-chief/article4137439.ece?homepage=true&ref=wl_home

I found that very interesting. Apparently in India, APU sales for desktop systems are going incredibly well.

Everyone is saying the desktop market is dying, but you know what? It is just dying in America and possibly Europe. China and India are still huge, developing markets for desktop PCs. These people dont' have good gaming computers or anything remotely powerful. They're not going to want some crappy tablet for consuming content. They're going to want something far more powerful to get into games. We can see that very, very clearly in that article in regards to APUs doing so well.

You want my opinion? AMD dropped Steamroller in 2013 to save cash and then fling APUs and AMD FX into developing markets like India and China and to reap massive profits from those markets. That's 2 billion people in those markets, much much larger than the American market.

If AMD India has a chip that's selling like hot cakes, and they have virtually no competition when it comes to a cheap integrated solution with a powerful GPU, they have no reason to spend money half assing something and trying to half-fix something that's majorly broken. AMD's main goal right now isn't to beat Intel, it's to actually make a profit. The best way to do that is to leverage existing intellectual property and make the most profit you can out of that property. That's exactly what AMD is doing in India.

Reap the rewards of developing markets, have Jim Keller takes the reigns on a new architecture for 20nm TSMC process when the company is profitable, and then bam, AMD is in good shape.

AMD has a big chance to turn profitable by leveraging India and China and the other developing markets. They can then possibly come out with a stronger Steamroller and catch Intel with their pants down as Intel chases ARM. The performance gains from the larger x86 cores then trickle down and improve performance on APUs and smaller cores. If Trinity was still using BDver1 cores, it wouldn't be a good product. It's not bad at all with PD, and with better x86 cores it could be an extremely good product.

If anything, I would say big x86 core R&D at AMD is on hiatus, not cancelled. Charlie @ S|A is saying Intel is going to give up on the enthusiast market as well. AMD would have the enthusiast market by the balls if they released unlocked CPUs on an enthusiast platform while Intel shovels out chips soldered onto motherboards.

Just give it time, Intel is going to shoot itself in the foot by chasing things like Medfield. Even if Medfield CPU performance is good, their GPU is god-awful. It's about 40% slower than Adreno 225 and Adreno 320 humiliates it. So do all the PowerVRs. And as we've seen with Larabee, Intel can't make a good GPU to save its life. There's a huge reason why all those articles and reviews that say "OMG MEDFIELD" are usually always lacking in GPU benchmarks.

This is like pre-K8 era. Intel is off chasing something irrelevant (pre-K8 it was chasing clock speed instead of performance) while neglecting the thing they do best (kick ass x86 high end CPUs).

People are blinded by their "Intel makes awesome x86 CPUs so everything they do is magical and perfect" goggles. Itanium, their motherboards, Larrabee, Atom, etc have all been commercial or complete failures. The only thing Intel has going for itself right now is its fabrication process and good x86 CPUs, and they seem pretty content with getting out of the high performance x86 CPU market and trying to cram an architecture that's not designed for low power into a low power form factor to compete with an architecture that's specifically designed for low power form factors.

I don't see AMD dying at all. 2013 will be very rough for them, but beyond that they have a huge future ahead of them. They could turn the company around by leveraging existing IP in emerging markets and then filling the void Intel left in the enthusiast market, hopefully by creating a platform that shares a common socket between server and desktop CPUs as opposed to enthusiast desktop and APU sharing the same socket. Hell, just put all of them on the same socket. Who the hell wouldn't want a platform where you could choose between ARM APU, x86 APU, enthusiast CPU, or 16 core/20core server CPU? All the while your competition is selling a motherboard with a soldered on CPU.

I just hope Rory Read and company are smart enough to at least see what I'm seeing, even if they have a different or better solution than I do.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

What AMD really needs is exceptional marketing. They dont really need engineers...... hence the lay-offs. :pt1cable:

AMD's cheesy marketing always get them the wrong kind of press tho. Some people say any publicity is good publicity but then you look at bulldozer and people realize that publicity like that will kill AMD in the long run.

Scrap them is my best guess.

They could sell them at cost, or they could just give them away to schools and such. Upgrade old systems from their company is also another good idea.

There are things I can think of that can be "good" for AMD using those unsold APUs.

Cheers!

They won't be offering any more chips into the channel but the chips already in the channel will just be sold as is.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

The lay-offs barely compensate for the 350 mill they spent acquiring SeaMicro.

Like HP's troubles with their purchases, we'll find out later was over valued too.

They could have licensed that tech like they did with ARM and the RCM.

Hell, if no one wants them, I'll take a shyte load of them then!

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
http://vr-zone.com/articles/arm--possible-beginning-of-the-end-for-amd--part-2/18055.html

Just had a thought : Assuming AMD does the impossible. It delivers Steamroller in Q@ 2013, that is 10% default/default faster than intel Haswell. But it is a desktop only part, with 90W TDP

how many units can AMD sell ? Will it be enough to make a profit ? Even if they break into the DT market, is it enough

^^ a big part of that would be capability of glofo or any other fab amd chooses. the old roadmaps show that all the current 32nm cpus were supposed to come out in 2010-2011 (possibly compete against 32nm nehalem cpus and pd/trinity vs sandy bridge), not in late 2011-late 2012.
apus will find buyers. amd cpus will have a much harder time. someone commented earlier that emerging markets have good demand for apus. but amd doesn't advertise themselves much in those markets. if they tried to build a brand presence like intel and nvidia, the apus would sell much better.

too lazy to make another post:

AMD to Sell Austin, Texas Campus to Raise Cash
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20121127224716_AMD_Set_to_Sell_Lone_Star_Headquarters_in_Texas.html
Chief Exec of AMD Happy with Thanksgiving Weekend Sales, Has Positive Expectations for 2013.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20121127130811_Chief_Exec_of_AMD_Happy_with_Thanksgiving_Weekend_Sales_Has_Positive_Expectations_for_2013.html

Actually, in this day, I don't think AMD needs another Athlon to stay afloat (after reading vr's article and other comments around), but needs to stay within strike range from what Intel has. If they somehow manage to strike a win with Excavator or even before in ARM territory or low power with Jaguar/Kabini, people will be the ones in charge to spread the word, since it's not like 10 years ago (yeah, that much time has passed xD) when we didn't have Twitter or Face(palm)book. Maybe cutting the marketing department was not such a bad idea after all, since you can outsource that nowadays with social networks :p

Anyway, point is, for AMD to stay afloat, they don't need to beat Intel, just get their sh!t together and focus their resources on something that gives "value" to buyers. We don't know and don't have any inside info of what they're planning in the mid/long term (just rumor), but we do know they have to sell stuff to stay around.

And to answer the question, probably, a 90W part that can beat a 77W (or 54W) part from Intel is not a bad deal, since as a whole, the system won't break your bank in the process. That will push Intel to get something to compete as well and we all win :p

Cheers!

Wasn't the SeaMicro deal about leveraging the x86 opterons into a fabric of low-power ARM cores? I agree they probably should have licensed the tech instead of outright purchasing it, considering they could ill-afford the $350M then and especially now.

Even AMD's powerpoint charts only show a 15% performance gain over PD, so highly unlikely Steamy would beat Haswell. AMD would have to somehow beat Intel at Intel's major strengths, such as superior OoO processing, plus get TSMC or GF to get to 20nm in 5 months to match Intel's 22nm, with decent yield ramps and clock speeds, etc etc. And all that would take massive amounts of R&D money to have been spent already, to support all the design engineers required. Instead, AMD laid them off.

Personally I suspect that one reason why all the Steamy/Exxy cancellation rumors abound is not only due to the lousy world economy and desktop sales, but also that initial results of the ES samples are not that great. Haven't seen any rumors or even OBR leaks :p so that is pure speculation of course.

If the rumor about AMD selling their Austin, TX campus is true, to raise maybe $200M or so, that's just sad indeed. Sorta like taking out a mortgage on your house to keep your business afloat. That puts AMD squarely at the mercy of many economic factors outside their control, such as the Dems and Repubs going off the fiscal cliff in 5 weeks, the EU debt crisis worsening, China cutting back on funding the US Gov't :p, China and Japan getting into a shooting and/or economic war over those oil-rich islands in the South China Sea, Iran and Israel going at it this coming spring, etc etc.

Maybe AMD should just sell off everything, and then party like hell while waiting for the world to end in 3 weeks and 2 days from now :p..

i sense another kind of 'amd vs intel' coming up.... :p
"AMD to launch Radeon-branded SSDs"
http://semiaccurate.com/2012/11/28/amd-to-launch-radeon-branded-ssds/
what's next, radeon nic, radeon cpus (rebranded fx cpus)... or may be hsa apus branded as radeon fx something...? :whistle:

the ram were great as far as I know.

The timings they got are 8-9-8-24 for 1600, that's hardly on par with CL8 Vengeance series from Corsair, which I have and are 8-8-8-24. Not bad, but not impressive either to make a big deal about them.

Maybe the SSDs are going to be something in those lines... If Corsair serves as comparison, if they are on par with the Crucial line, then they'll be good. It will all come down to price, as usual.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.