AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 162 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Those idle figures are the lowest of the entire web. I would wait to see more reviews.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

I've only read the Tom's and Anand's review.

Now that you point it out, Anand does get some weird power consumption readings.

:)

jdwii

Splendid

Its reported to have twice the shaders, Also who cares about Power consumption on Desktops?

Its a bit disappointing but again by committing to FM2 limitations the only way embedded GDDR5 would work is if it was SoC, so there is not enough die space for embedded GDDR5 but I am assuming AMD will like Intel just embed high speed cache.

If there is the other possibility that AMD has no embed DRAM at all then the only way Kaveri can be saved from mediocre is if its CPU performance falls in line or close to Intel's allowing it to drive the GPU further, other than that by socket stability AMD may be shooting itself in the foot this time, albeit there is 6 months give or take before we know exactly so I won't panic to much at this juncture.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20130530232155_AMD_s_Next_Gen_Kaveri_APUs_Will_Require_New_Mainboards.html

Says FM2+ and will feature GDDR5/DDR3 controllers, dual channel controllers and HUMA, this is more or less what is expected.

howee

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
http://wccftech.com/amd-readies-fx-9000-highperformance-cpu-clocked-5-ghz-fx-8770-leaked/

Piledriver refresh? Resonant clock mesh arrives? Centurion?

Thoughts anyone?

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

This 65% is without the eDRAM.

apologies for the long post. i 'm tired tryin' to read the haswell reviews... gotten to the point where i can see the pronounced blood vessels in my eyeballs reflected on the monitor.... :love: <- yeah.. there were no other emoticons matching my current state.... i'll just gratuitously use the spoiler tag....

ah, got it, well i think most of it. seems like a nice warning against intel's monopoly, yes? i've though long about this taking into account their bad business practices, monopolistic stance, even the possibility of a $1000 celeron. in the end, both are corporation, engaging business practices embraced by corporations. it's a waste of time picking one over the other. if intel comes close to gaining monopoly the government will step in and split them up. $1000 celeron: was unlikely before, more unlikely now. instead, we get price stagnation (current haswell lineup (shark bay?) might be the most overpriced yet). i guess that's what lack of performance competition does to the prices. that's why i mentioned why amd was created in the first place. besides, amd themselves will gouge given the opportunity, e.g. athlon fx, centurion, zambezi prices, the list goes on. when it comes down to choosing one out of a duopoly, the best thing is to set a budget and get something that fits in it. that's all.
others will have their own opinions.

pd seems to behave the same as bd, a bit faster. when i mentioned opencl performance choking, i was refering to fx8350, not 8150. i think it's the gpus though, gcn seems to want more of cpu.
from agner's site(quite helpful when you get past the stuff), i read that intel pretty much screwed(ref. 1st part of the reply) amd with fma4. and if xop tries to gain traction, intel will somehow retaliate or something... so neither is likely to go industrywide. may be fma4 later when intel feels like it - sad state today..

when i read bulldozer architecture preview, i had nearly the same impression. then i realized the hard way that design is only part of the end product and it's the parts of design that mainly decides what it's gonna end up as. i also liked individual aspects of how amd did bd even with my very limited knowledge. but when the cpus came out and got tested, i changed my opinion.
i vaguely knew.... i haven't put much thought into hsa apart from 'cpu and gpu communicate with far less latency'. was gonna catch up after kaveri came out but that seems to be moving farther away. :p
why would amd replace industrywide standard like pcie for htx? if they complement pcie, won't that raise motherboard cost? unless htx can reuse pcie lanes .....and this is already beyond my limited knowledge. and if cores(or cache or branch prediction or imc or other parts) are the bottlenecks, what good is a fast bus gonna do? from what i've been told, ht is open standard and quite forward-looking design so it was never an issue. then there's big bad intel - would they accept htx? well... before making big fuss and losing money into some kind of proprietary bus that looks like ht, walks like ht but isn't ht and controllers cost $100..... ;)
i am interested to see how amd implements hsa with kaveri.

ah... yeah, there was something like that. i gotta read those again. the reason i mentioned that was - imo it's amd's job to keep intel in line and for the past few years, they have failed to do it (as a result, we get $240 core i5 4670k again :(). too bad via isn't stronger.
@3: hsa seemed very promising from it's inception, no doubt. but i don't see how arm is gonna help. jaguar should do well in microserver area. amd has been pointed out as inexperienced in arm core design and if/when they launch a cpu/apu based on vanilla arm core, other long term arm players might have better offerings, once again relegating amd to second/third place. i see their gpu ip as a major differentiator as their gpu ip is the one thing keeping amd afloat at this point (apus and gpus).
@4: :(

okay 2nd post. diff content/questions, so.. here goes.
@ never really trusted BSofnews.com and wccdoesntknowutdahaswellistech.com.. but i didn't see in the promo slides saying kaveri dropped gddr5 and trimodule skus. so... what's next, kaveri gains L3 cache? and those guys all seem to be quoting different things sprung from the same source. what gives? +NaCl.
@centurion: afaik, all of the available amd motherboards are designed to fit 65-140w tdp cpus, according to their specs. so how will a 220w cpu, without redesigned power delivery, fit in current mobos? i need some enlightening on this issue.
@richland: just for lulz, i took a peek at tpu's haswell gt2 testing and noticed something funny (but not funny for the r.a.l.f.):
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i7_4770K_Haswell_GPU/
gt2 seems to meet and sometimes beat richland's 8670D (i.e. not the mobile sku). also check out the test settings' igpu(amd) driver version. :whistle: :ange: apparently, gt2 played(!) crysis 3(!!!) and borderlands 2(!!) better than richland. :pt1cable:

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Yes some are calling them the Titan of CPUs alluding to Titan being a marketing card. Centurion line of chips can help AMD to gain time before Steamroller based FX are ready next year.

Ranth

Honorable
May 3, 2012

I like how richland is ~0.4fps faster than trinity :heink:

I smell someone running 1333. :whistle:

viridiancrystal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

I did not see any power consumption numbers in that review, all I saw was Intel's TDP label. That has proven to be not very truthful, especially on their mobile front.
power-gaming.png

That Sandy Bridge is a 17w chip, the Kabini is 15w. Sandy is drawing nearly double the power, with a TDP 2w higher. No reason to believe this behavior has changed.
Also, it does not look that appealing behind a $650 price tag.
I would much rather play Crysis 3 at 4.5fps than 4.3fps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kl4hJ4j48s#t=70s

In all seriousness, I think most cases where GT2 comes close or beats the 7660D are at such low performance from either that it is irrelevant. Also, I would take any Richland numbers with salt right now.

earl45

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009

Here's the answer to your question, AMD cpu's cost less to consumers, AMD holds the
overclock record on LN, and AMD is a very small company compared to Intel.
Which non of that has anything to do with why an 8 Core cpu that clocked higher can't
overwhelm a 4 core lower clocked cpu, but when you don't have an answer for this you
say stuff like that.

Cataclysm_ZA

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

W1zzard tested the AMD setups with the same frequency RAM, that's why the scores are so close. With dual-channel DDR3-1866 for Trinity, it will be quite a bit faster. However, Haswell's HD4600 supports DDR3-2400 data rates, so on paper you may assume that skews things in their direction.

Anandtech, funny enough, actually shows how far Intel still has to go. With dual-channel DDR3-2133 on Trinity and dual-channel DDR3-2400 on Haswell, the HD7660D is still appreciably faster than the HD4600 and only Iris and Iris Pro graphics takes the win.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6993/intel-iris-pro-5200-graphics-review-core-i74950hq-tested/5

And note that the chips with Iris Pro graphics are around six times more expensive than the A10-5800K - at $657 for 1000-chip tray prices, AMD doesn't have much to fear from Iris graphics.

youcanDUit

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

i found this, i'm not sure if this helps.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2013/3/6/analysis-amd-kaveri-apu-and-steamroller-core-architectural-enhancements-unveiled.aspx

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

PowerConsumption-e1370107794247.png

this one sais higher idle power too. as far as someone running one computer, idle power is pretty much a moot point. 64W@24hrs@14.5 c per kw/h (ca pricing) = 22c per day, using at's 35W = 12c per day. The problem is load power being more on haswell, likely will offset that low idle power.

And here I thought hasbeen was all about lowering power usage ...

Also looking at AT's GT3e review ... it gets stomped by Intel's proposed "650M performance" claims. only looks ok when its Vsyinc limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.