AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 187 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

There are many reasons why people (including Intel enthusiasts) are using terms as Failwell, Hasfail, Hasbeen... to refer to last Intel chips. Some are: failed promise on performance (including some regression), higher TDP, higher power consumption, run hotter, poor OC, more expensive, requires new mobo, requires certified PSU, USB issue...

Thus the irony is that in some apps Haswell desktop can give a 8 or a 10% more performance but a ivy chip can caught it with its better OC.

Now you can pretend (as some do) that Haswell was really designed for mobile and that desktop problems don't count. Well. Mobile Haswell promised better power consumption and perf per watt but Haswell notebooks are increasing the battery life mostly by increasing the battery size (only a part is due to Haswell efficiency). The Haswell notebooks have heat problems which means that will drop performance via trottling.

The new GT3e promised the end of discrete mobile GPUs. Another fiasco. Most OEMs are rejecting Haswell Iris Pro because is "power hungry" and "expensive" and using dGPUs. Most gaming notebooks are using a cheaper but fastest dGPU. E.g. Gygabyte presented Haswell notebooks at Computex and all use dGPU.

Sarinade, this is your chance to take a 6800K under LN2 and beat that record :3

Anyways, I am amazed at how the A10-6800K managed to break 8GHz. With this amazing feat, I am sure the Kaveri A10 XXXXK will break the FX8150's World Record.

@Juanrga, I agree that GT3e/Iris was a dare by Intel that did not deliver for the high-performance market (650M+ sector) that it was hyped to be and is quite power hungry, like HasBurst™ in general. You might as well get a 7970M+i7 laptop for the same price and have faaaar better frames.

Daily bonus video thingy time- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUc6znC848o

stevmary5

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
Thanks again for your help.
5.jpg
06.jpg

07.jpg

cowboy44mag

Jan 24, 2013

It seems like you really like Intel, and there is nothing wrong with that, to each his own. Before getting rid of you Ivy Bridge for Haswell I would recommend that you take a look at a whole slew of other threads on the internet where Intel enthusiasts are advising people that if they have Sandy Bridge not to upgrade to Haswell. Haswell may do some things better on laptops than Ivy Bridge did, however there are also reports of Haswell chips heating up too much as well. The last thing you want in a laptop is a processor that is running hot. As far as Haswell in desktop computers even Intel enthusiasts will tell you to just stick with Ivy Bridge as it will overclock to match Haswell and Haswell doesn't overclock well, produces more heat, ect.

Yes there are a lot of names being thrown around that may upset someone who favors Intel, such as Hasfail, Failwell, Hasbeen, ect, ect. But Intel fans loved to poke fun at Bulldozer aka "Faildozer" when it debuted. Haswell may not be as big as a let down, but Haswell is Intels Bulldozer. It doesn't deliver on what was promised, most definitely isn't a huge jump over Ivy Bridge and fell well short of the "tock" it was supposed to be.

cowboy44mag

Jan 24, 2013

Got to agree that chances are very high that its not entirely stable at 8GHz, but its still an impressive overclock that I didn't think an APU could achieve long enough to post. The really amazing thing to me is 1.992 vcore, I thought when I had my vcore slightly above 1.6 I was really pushing the limit!! Of course they were running liquid nitrogen, but its still REALLY impressive for an APU!!

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

The fact that it is on all cores is impressive, this clock would probably have beaten FX8150 world record if it was done on the strongest "core"

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

Remember the discussions and the broaaa of some revelations about the famous AMD lawsuit against intel, the exclusive deals, the intel subsidizing the OEMs for not getting Opteron ?

Lame Ruiz sold that outside of the courtroom for $1.2B, when very easily we could had asked the triple... so now all are only allegations.

Crime can pay!..

Expect AMD margin to fall even more, even if SR is double the performance per core, its the same deal as before( it has nothing to do with the chips or the tech, which is all-round better than intel, hypertransport based).

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

If that kaveri comes only in "bulk" process, i bet you €1000 that it cannot... not even that Richland, not even close lol (TH could mediate the deal lol)

If it is 28nm PD-SOI then the bet is off ok!?

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

My attempt at de-enrishifying your link. I fear that some will be lost in translation but perhaps somebody else can do better.

4.5 Ghz/4.8 Ghz Turbo Benchmarks!
9650 AMD Steamroller FX (AMDFX) achieves performance 32% greater rather than 45% greater. And the second generation "Piledriver" as compared to the first "Bulldozer" to "Steamroller". Achievements of 30% Ops/cycle increase in the ratio of "Piledriver" to "Steamroller", that is an IPC improvement of more than 20% has been achieved. The result, an extent to which is less than 25-30% in comparison, "Haswell" improvement is half way between "SandyBridge" and "Nehalem" in IPC. The scores of the benchmarks are listed as follows.

Core i7
3770K Core i7
3970X FX-8350 Steamroller
FX-9450 FX-9650
Number of Cores 4-Core
8-thread 6-Core
12-thread 8-Core
4-module 8-Core
4-module 8-Core
4-module
POV Ray 3.7 Multithread 1363 1888 1505 1636 1985
CineBench
11.5 Sinlge 1.66 1.62 1.11 1.21 1.47
Multi 7.52 10.84 6.93 7.55 9.15

However, note this small detail in that "32% increase in performance over the FX 8350 determined with" is attached. The possibility of stuff that made ​​up by 1.32 times the score of the FX-8350 seems to be high. There is a difference of about 20% performance in a single core of "Steamroller" and "Haswell". In a system with two high end graphics cards, the FX-9650 shows gaming performance equivalent to the i7 2600K, but is still inferior by one step to the i7 4770K. However, in titles that benefit from a core count of more than 4 cores, such as Crysis 3, the FX-9650 will achieve the same performance as rival product i7 4770K. And an improved IPC of 20% and a frequency enhancement of 10% will achieve performance improvements of 32% over "Piledriver". On the other hand, "Steamroller" with respect to overclocking is worse than ever. AMD poured a lot of effort to lower the power consumption of "Steamroller". But this effort was a way of achieving a higher frequency per TDP. The overall power consumption draws around 5-8% less than the FX-8350 as a result of that effort.

OC 43% can be from 3.50GHz to 5.00Ghz for the i7 4770K but, FX-9650 will remain at about 20% and 5.40GHz from 4.50GHz. It is assumed that the performance of the FX-9650 falls between the i7 4960X and i7 4770K. Prices also reflect that. Chips of 3.80GHz / TC 4.20GHz are to be lower model as the product you want to compete with i7 4770K separately seems to exist for this. Expected prices will be $ 449 for chip of 4.50GHz / TC 4.80GHz as a flagship. Chips of 3.80GHz / TC 4.20GHz and below would be around $ 249 than this. In other words, between the FX-9650 and the i7 4930K, the FX9450 is not in a position to counter the i7 4770K. I am referring to the possibility of FX CPU "Centuian" with 12-core / 6-module referred to the topic of "Kaveri" APU of 6-core/3-module in the last paragraph down. "Centurian", by the way, (code-named) is featured as the name of FX CPU of 5GHz previously. ... And even if you recall in a very suspicious, familiar story, some leading to the frenzy of the previous appearance of "Bulldozer". I welcome with open arms if this is true, but it remains too dubious of rumors about the "it 's Na glad you were very real" at the moment. AMD Steamroller Die shots leaked in photos of the die are "Steamroller" have been published. I suspect that this die photo is different or legitimate, and there is a possibility in various ways. I say what changes is applied significantly "Steamroller" thing you can see from this photo anyway. It is a remarkable branch prediction and front-end, the instruction cache data, especially in the FP unit. Looks significantly larger, as it accounts for a large area of two times compared to "Bulldozer / Piledriver" FP unit. Speculation seems to be flying around a lot. A mark shall be added that the 256-bit FMA × 2 128-bit FMA × 2 up to now, integer arithmetic unit of 2 + AGU × 2 ALU × the "floating-point unit There is also quite intense speculation that the data cache also changed as such "is increased to 32kB from 16kB and change, the ALU × 4 + AGU × 4 from the configuration.

Also worth noting: http://technewspedia.com/kaveri-amd-apus-have-integrated-pcie-3-0-controller/

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

AMD Steamroller FX 9650 - 4.5 Ghz / 4.8 Ghz Turbo Benchmarks! lol

If that is truth, than its not 32% better than the Fx8350, by the test results...

Lets cont only POV-RAY, the Cinebench doesn't count, after so many past posts i think nobody is going to be fouled.

The Fx8350, in high performance, that is, in multithreading which is the only truly high performance metric( there isn't any other, ILP is dead) is already ~10% above the i7 3770 by that test... so it could be similar performance to the 4770.

If the FX9450 is similar clocks to the 8350, but then its only 10% above Piledriver by that test on POV-ray results !... so from where comes that 32% ?

Yet this clocks of the FX9450 can even be a little superior, perhaps turbo, so its below ~10%

Always something very much F*** Up in this reviews, now clock doesn't seem to count for nothing, yet the tester almost got 20% above the current 8350, yet it seems to say it is a poor OC lol... seems to forget that he has a perliminar ES chip, and comparing with Centurion with quite higher TDP is very "borged" to say the least.

If *indeed* that test was with a chip at those clocks, 4.5/4.8Ghz for 125W, then the FX Steamroller is 28nm PD-SOI... bad translation(edit) can't figure if he had the chip at that clock or if it is OC (but then shouldn't he lose the turbo capability ?)

FAKE in my opinion... the reference seems to be an article in AMDFX blog, which seems clearly an extrapolation based on improvement "rumors" ( damn rumors, and are some that sells them!)

If rumors to be truth then the POV Ray result for the TOP FX9650 should be 32% ops more 12% clock = 1505(FX8350)*1.44 = 2167 (quite above any IB-E)

A result of above 9 points (9.04) in Cinebench, also did a poster of Overclocknet achieved with a FX8350 OC to 4,92Ghz.. (SEE IMAGE)

http://i.imgur.com/zoOxn.jpg

So the result for that TOP steamroller at 4.5/4.8 of 9.15 represents about " less than 3 % " improvement (why claim 32%) attending the clock of the OC part is a little higher.

FAKE FAKE FAKE... but in here of course the "fake" can be the "cinebench", that has the remarkable propriety, don't now if it is only me, of gradually augmenting the performance of Intel chips and diminish the performance of AMD chips from iterations to iterations(yet carry the same name) LOL ... but for the more attentive, with cinebench, we are measuring software results not hardware( that is why i rant about md5 signs)

Drought

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
Whats the 30% gain that they claim it will suppose to be from? Like 30% gain over what?

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

Great news, hope that it comes HSA certified...

Hope that in the future all possible software comes HSA certified... hope that in the future they change all SKUs to ARM based uarchs, which can also be all HSA certified for the software...

Not a "preference" rant of sorts, the only way i see AMD to survive in the long run and get back the position it once had... or even more... and more like AMD the merrier ( very good for the end users).

8350rocks

Distinguished

Oh, look, a troll that lost his bridge and wandered in here...

Stop the charade...hasfail is a failure, and nobody cares about power consumption when you can buy a bigger battery.

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

As example this one is different
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/29/hold_until_may_29_2013_1201_am_eastern_amd_takes_on_atom_s_server_chips_with_kyoto_opteron_xs/

http://regmedia.co.uk/2013/05/28/amd_opteron_x_features.jpg

The System I/O, or the functions related to that pointed in there, are clearly inside the "square" representing the "die"... ok its Kyoto, based on Jaguar Kabini APU, but this one is very similar to current mainstream APUs (for not saying equal), while in the new Berlin APU the System I/O is clearly a different square.

Ok it might not mean squat... OTOH it might...

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

No its an extension to current x16 PCIe slots... like (PCIe)_____________ + _____ (sideband), on the same row, so the PCIE slot gets an "extension". The remarkable is that you can use in that slot either a PCIe adapter(no sideband needed) or a HTX (hypertransport) adapter, being the great advantage of this last one, if not bandwidth(could be) at least latency and Cache Coherency. Yes it could be a response to Xeon Phy, FireGL can be HTX cache coherent and be a truly "co-processor"...

But also the patent foresees the same in "integrated" designs, that is, ALL "processores" (CPU & APU) from AMD are already an Hypertransport switch in the XBAR (integrated northbridge)... they would pass also being a PCI Xbar of sorts... meaning truly integrated.

One possible great advancement is all Radeon adapters coming with that "SLOT" in mind, on intel and legacy they could function PCIe, on advanced AMD platforms they would function HTX. Also then the X2 adapters will be gone, all could be truly MCM now, but perhaps this MCMs then one only HTX (no PCIe, makes sense).

At -185*C there will be no thermal throttling, and I believe he validated it on HWBot so it was stable enough to be valid.

Nah LN2 is to much work these days, I am into lower power APU's and killing people on BF servers :D

Iris was a case of to much improvement, and the rigidity of its pricing which is a lot in part to Intel flogging billions on Iris means its basically between a rock and hard place, as before Iris is only fast at lower resolutions sub 16:9 resolutions, crank it up to 16x9 and 19x10 resolutions and Iris loses around 65% of its performance to the point its only as fast as a HD7660D despite twice the bandwidth (tested with 2133 bandwidth ie:34GB/s). Since a 650M can play med settings at 1080, Iris is nowhere close to a 650M, its like 40% slower at that res and settings.

8150 passed 9ghz on a single core, the 8350 can do around 7.0ghz on 8 cores.

I got a BF4 alpha trial pass, but as they say in the invite a lot of content is cut down to minimal including graphics engines, the sole purpose is to play and offer opinion on how they can improve the game by Beta.

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

The bet is on if you want it lol

Its not the chip and its not because of AMD or design... its the Fab "process".

IBM has a 600mm² chip (2x Fx8350 size and transistors) at 5.5ghz commercial speed... 32nm PD-SOI... if they would derive a "desktop" SKU out of if, much smaller (quite less cache & interconnect), on LN2 they could easily pass the 10GHz on all 8 cores and cache.

"bulk" even with finfet wouldn't do.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/graphics/display/20130618193824_Nvidia_Set_to_Radically_Change_Business_Model_License_Graphics_Cores_to_Others.html

Nvidia for being "proactive" is rather "reactive". AMD restructured business operations two and a half years ago, AMD is not only a chip designer but have already licenced third party designs based on Radeon and APU technologies. ARM, Qualcom, Sony, Samsung all co-operates of HSA foundation implement amongst themselves for better products and market share, Nvidia is very, very late and are reeling a bit now, Nvidia to go head to head with ARM is a suicide wish needless to say I fould nvidia's lack of tact in commenting on Dice/EA's partnership with AMD rather amusing considering I for one said that the best thing Nvidia had for years was partnerships now that is fading and HSA will consume Physx and CUDA patents as open source is more beneficial to long term applications and support.

Game designers are particularly liking the new unlocked resource mine opened up, I know traditionalists will find it hard to get beyond legacy code, but clearly some have found out that the new future that HSA brings takes not only games but programing out of the 80's were its stuck all that has changed is the appearance but that is confined and limited by stringent parameters, not for to much longer.

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
Nvidia with ARM is not suicide. Mater of fact i think nvidia will be one of the top 5 microarchitertual ARM dealers, Samsung Qualcomm AMD Apple an Nvidia... there are more but exclusively on ARM micro server sector (edit)

ARM can even eat a lot of margin from x86, its potentially better than x86 at the instruction encoding and memory model, depending on the implementors it can splash from ultraportable sector of now, to everywhere including high server and supercomputers.

But in here ai agree with you, all that depends on software available, Linux is there but very lame support with very few apps, MSFT is almost equal but MSFT already has a ARM server version... Android is the real deal HSA and Kronos, and since all of the big ARM dealers are HSA, only misses Google to compose the bouquet lol... nobody is going to adopt CUDA but nvidia.

I think the dear leader, will open a lot of cans, will do a lot of summer salts an flip flops but in the end, ends up joining HSA if not for founder member, at least at the LG level.

Who will never join is Intel... NOT with the current leadership, the CEO would probably prefer someone would stick forks in his eyes... loosing badly but losing proudly, wont last much longer, matter of fact it was supposed to have gonne by now, but the board members turn back in the decision.

There are rumours that Nvidia and MS fill join the HSA foundation, if not now within the next year or so.

HSA foundation hosted a developers conference this week, interesting to be a fly on the wall for that, but 2014 and not to coin a Terminator term but HSA will become active and self aware, Adobe cS7 is the first proper HSA supported application and many will be keen to see particularly what Kaveri does in that space.

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
Adobe CS7 ?

Dont know if there will be HSA logos, i think it will, but if it is more than those other Adobe apps (which i think are not HSA cert) then the discussion of CPU core performance almost be over

http://community.amd.com/community/amd-blogs/amd-unprocessed/blog/2013/06/17/amd-performance-screams-with-just-released-adobe-photoshop-cc-and-adobe-premiere-pro-cc

" Poor lame AMD can't compete because the CPU is behind 20% ( on dubious benchs) ... its a beating! " frankly would seem quite ridiculous then

and there are a WHOLE LOT more(edit) ... including for Android (ARM) lol
http://www.amd.com/us/vision/shop/cool-apps/Pages/cool-apps.aspx

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

ROFL, good post ... You missed the truth tho, your so far off base you can't even see.

igp-tr-fps.png

ok so wich one is twice as fast as ivy bridge?

fairly easy, 18fps X2 = 36 .. = hd5200 from the 4950HQ. here is your chart again.

power-idle.png

hmm ... 4950hq and the 3770k igp both draw 37W ... wich one again draws less power and pefroms twice as fast? MAybe it was a special case where the 4770k with 4600 IGP draws less power but the 4950HQ performs better ... and what is the A10 5800k doing at the top of the idle power draw chart ... I thought this was about how great Intel is.

So ... what about load power with the IGP on say .. gaming? ... not tested here ... just a raw cpu test.

Status
Not open for further replies.