AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 188 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thats the new Adobe Premier Pro, this is the first genuine HSA application which the HSA foundation has said many will follow but already Richland is developing a substantial lead, Kaveri will be nothing short of mindblowingly fast with hUMA adaptations.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

POV-RAY
FX-8350: 1505
FX-9650: 1985

That is a 32% gain.

Last Openbenchmarks show that a FX-8350 at stock is so faster or a bit more than the 4770k in multhreading. Moreover the FX OC better than Haswell.

Sometimes, yes. Red Faction: Guerrilla was a good example of a game ported to the PC after the fact. More often though, the PC port is handled in parallel, or is the lead platform. The "PC Port" argument was created to try and explain why we aren't seeing significant jump in graphics anymore, and its easier to blame consoles then the fact that Rasterization is tapped out [hence the focus on new AA and other post-processing effects].

If the FX9450 is similar clocks to the 8350, but then its only 10% above Piledriver by that test on POV-ray results !... so from where comes that 32% ?

It looks like the 9650 is 4.5GHz base clock, but can't find info on the 9450's clock. For reference: The 8350's base clock is 4GHz. So at least some of the performance is due to clock, not IPC. Without know the 9450's clock, really hard to make a comparision.

As far at the 8350/9650 comparison, we can solve the IPC difference based on the info we have:

For POV Ray:

Performance = IPC * Clockspeed * Number of Cores [Number of Cores is the same for both CPU's, so this cancels out]

8350: 1505 = IPC * 4
8350: IPC = 376.25

9650: 1985 = IPC * 4.5
9650: IPC = 441.1

Now to solve the performance difference:

IPC Difference = 100 - 376.25 / 441.1 * 100
IPC Difference = ~15%

For CineBench (single):

8350:

1.11 = IPC * 4
IPC = .2775

9650:

1.47 = IPC * 4.5
IPC = .3267

IPC Difference = 100 - .2775 / .3267 * 100
IPC Difference ~15%

So far, looks like 15% IPC gains. One more to go:

Cinebench (Multi)

8350:

6.93 = IPC * 4
IPC = 1.7325

9650:

9.15 = IPC * 4.5
IPC = 2.03

IPC Difference = 100 - 1.7325 / 2.03 * 100
IPC Difference ~ 15%

So it looks like Steamroller gains 15% in IPC over Piledriver, based on three benchmarks. Not bad for a generational leap.

And remember I'm solving for the DIFFERENCE in IPC, not the actual IPC. I've also simplified the equation and made a few assumptions (100% core loading). Quite possible the IPC number is slightly understated if SR isn't being pushed to 100%, or overstated if Turbo is being used excessively. But I'd say 15% is probably fairly accurate for CPU based benchmarks.

I will say, based on my analysis, SR is about where AMD needs to be at the top end to really compete with Intel for enthusiasts. Its what BD *should* have been when it was released. Very attractive buy if the price is right.

Really wish I know the 9450's base clock; would love to see if the 15% IPC increase holds up in a lower-clocked processor, or if other bottlenecks could come into play at a lower clock.

Ranth

Honorable
May 3, 2012
I'm confused. Have AMD given steamroller fx's numbers yet? Or are the 9450/9650 numbers just rumors? I hope they are otherwise AMD is making it much more confusing with the numbering.

Perhaps AMD will change their mind at the last second and get a 28nm or PD-SOI FD-SOI process :D. Realistically, it looks like AMD has just gotta adapt. However, I am still confident Kaveri A10-XXXXK will beat the 8150's broken record. I need those $1000 so I can build a Steamroller FX 8XXX/9XXX rig to replace my beloved i7-920 C0@3.8 main rig and hand-me-down but not really mine QX9770@3.7 gaming rig. Talk about power consumption :D. The FX9650 name seems odd, considering it was taken by the Phenom I (AKA: the 8150 of 2007).

viridiancrystal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

Now let me see if I can take this seriously. Nope, did not help.

I remember reading, I think somewhere way back on the bulldozer rumors thread, that much of the reason Intel did so much better in games was due to the on-die PCIe controller. I doubt it really does much, just food for thought.

lilcinw

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

I understand that. My point was that with the HT link added to PCIe bandwidth it would allow for a co-processor that performs more like a multi-socket system than a GPU\Phi assisted one. I assume that the HT link allows the co-processor direct access to main memory and possibly direct access from the host to the GPU\Phi memory.

The real question is whether this will be relegated to the Server\Workstation markets or if it will show up in enthusiast platforms.

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
@ gamerk316 ; juanrga

I made some e "hasty" calculations alright, but why bother and insist, that "SR" tests seems has fake as they come... and even IF it isn't, must be a preliminar ES, the setup isn't indicated, what DRAM(edit) what platform... so in any case is not representative at all

I think the AMDFX blog (from where that chinese site picked the "speculation") did a "speculation" preview, that is why the top FX 9650 ends on top of 32% like a clock LOL... only they forgot to mention that they counted with clock improvement also... quite not to take seriously.

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

the patent is not given yet, so its not for soon.

Yet when will be, according to past AMD positioning, it will be only a "professional" feature, perhaps the new RD1000 chipset will have it on C32 and G34 sockets platforms, doubt AM3+ will have ( its EOL, but if it will i salute AMD lol).

So perhaps the "enthusiasts" can transition to C32 or G34... don't know, but it will be a good bet, both are LGA.

Working on the assumption the DRAM/Platform is the same for both platforms, the results are still valid. So the question becomes "are the numbers real"? If so, then it looks like 15% improvements strictly on IPC, plus performance due to higher clocks.

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

You wish lol

28nm PD-SOI was never announced... only a 28 SHP ( 32 SHP is PD-SOI) appeared in some GloFo charts, but GloFo never talked what that is.

What is revealed is that the first versions of kaveri will be bulk, most probably low power low clock "mobile" parts(edit), so bulk is not a bad bet, and also will not have GDDR5 on socket.

Since Richland is already > 20% average on graphics/games above Trinity
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?act=url&depth=3&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://pclab.pl/art53197.html&usg=ALkJrhiuaznyeIjQEFEYT7b1jGPX9mYuiQ

Kaveri being GCN can be even a little more than that to Richland (>20%)... yet the same 384sp, for low power DDR3 2133. More than enough to beat the Iris and no need for 512sp ( iris is 160) or GDDR5.(edit)

After that is anybody guess, if Kaveri Desktop and FX will not be PD-SOI, then AMD is wasting a good competitive advantage, but this part is not on bet lol...

EDIT

Exactly has above... that is 2 questions 2 assumptions, not 1... if Steamroller will only be in "bulk" variants a very good assumption is that it will never have higher clocks than the actual Vishera/Trinity.

So that "speculation" along with revealing only 15% IPC gain, not 32%, is also adventing PD-SOI...

(i'm hoping 28nm PD-SOI, but i will not bet on it lol .. better said, if PD-SOI (or FD-SOI for that matter, which Glofo already announced :D ) then all bets are off...)

Aww.......my i7-920+4870 rig is crying to become a router! Steamroller may cap out @7.5-8GHz on extreme cooling if the bulk process is to be adopted, but I am sure stock clocks will be identical. They always have their Asetek CLC to fall back on the 8-Core SKUs. I wish they could go 28nm SOI, but sacrifices have to be made for the company's own good.

8350rocks

Distinguished
You guys do know that GloFo announced HKMG scalability down to 28nm right? That's the process for the 28nm SHP. It's FD-SOI as well...which means that would be a good performance bump over bulk or even PD-SOI.

http://www.eetimes.com/design/eda-design/4406513/GloFo-commits-to-FDSOI

That's interesting that initial production of SoC manufacturing will begin in Q4 2013 and full scale ramps up Q1 2014...what other timing does that sound like to you?

Steamroller! AMD might be able use 28nm FD-SOI instead of "bulk".

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

No LN2 or similar is valid... >7.5ghz on water, "stable" ? .. else define extreme.. but enough to withstand a full set of bencjmarks

(c'mon SNB already caped very close to that on 32nm, even is was only good to take a couple of shots)

8350rocks

Distinguished

:)

[strike]FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU[/strike] Extreme cooling (IMO) means anything from poor man's LN2 (Alcohol+Dry Ice) up to Liquid Helium :3.

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

The first iterations was revealed by an AMD "official" in an interview to be "bulk", which i assume will be "mobile" parts... fits nicely.

The rest or was not revealed or is bulk also. Case SR has a longer pipeline and much more speed daemon, and the IPC improvement can yet be a good bit superior to 30%... which is kind of counter-intuitive, greater IPC (fatter cores) and a good speed improvement...then bulk might not be that bad if clocks are very close to Richland.

That EEtimes article is old news, FD-SOI at GF see here

http://www.advancedsubstratenews.com/2013/04/gfs-two-flavors-of-fd-soi-kengeri-explains-exclusive-asn-qa/

http://www.advancedsubstratenews.com/2013/05/more-good-fd-soi-news-from-date-conference-st-leti-mentor-cmp/

The real interesting part for high performance is the "maximum" process variant at GF, but really tuned for it only at the 14nm. (2016/17) ... OTOH 20nm SHP might had transitioned for FD-SOI "maximum" first iteration (2014/15), 28nm should be all low power(bulk and FD-SOI).

I would bet more on 28nm PD-SOI than FD-SOI.
http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showpost.php?p=133926&postcount=9

http://translate.google.com/translate?langpair=auto|en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.planet3dnow.de%2Fcgi-bin%2Fnewspub%2Fviewnews.cgi%3Fid%3D1360178291
Original link http://www.planet3dnow.de/cgi-bin/newspub/viewnews.cgi?id=1360178291
(good article with the most recent graph, comparing old graph and FD-SOI news)

http://www.planet3dnow.de/photoplog/file.php?n=22812&w=o

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

OK, but since you love so much that crap bulk, which is SOOOO SUPERIOR... than lame AMD is over 8Ghz if with bulk than it should be above (>) 9Ghz (otherwise how could be improvement ?.. that was always the point)... and at least stable enough to run a couple of becnhmarks ?

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

The reason these numbers are all the same ... they are all calculated theoretical numbers. I thought they looked familiar, parroted information from may 22. http://amdfx.blogspot.com/2013/05/amd-steamroller-fx-9650-45-ghz-48-ghz.html

nothing was tested, this is what theoretical performance calculated. RL IPC gains are NEVER LINEAR.

Status
Not open for further replies.