AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 246 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

Charlie claims no one wants to touch Iris besides Apple.

It's unsurprising, really. We're in an age where you can get a decent laptop for $400 and a decent tablet for $300. You used to have to spend $1000+ to get a decent machine to do much on, but not anymore.

The cost of Iris or an AMD part that cost the same eats so much into the cost of the laptop that it's simply not worth it. For that price you can get a good dGPU that will blow it away.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

why not just buy an fx8320 for like $140? I would expect per core performance will become a pretty pointless metric in the coming years with developers learning to use more cores and the drive to release software on multiple platforms. With phones having 4 cores now and likely will have true 8 cores by the end of 2014 and the fact that arm cores are extremely slow per core performance, I expect software to use less of from the size of the cores.

A phenom II x4 still runs all my software perfectly. I don't see any time I would need more single core performance really. Maybe if you are targeting 120fps, the cpu might be a bottleneck but 60fps is no problem for me.

Dat cooler :love: But that price :rofl: I picked up a ASUS GTX 760 (Dat Shroud\ASUS love, don't come at me bro :3) along with a VH238H and a Corsair 500R this week and I must admit it is a very good card. I saw a 2K GTX 280 a while ago on ebay :3 Anyways, anyone looking forward to the 9970?

jdwii

Splendid

Man for me my 1100T suits me well still it's more of my issue wanting something new.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

2 good reasons for me personally. I'm Actually gonna be scoring a deal soon on a 144hz monitor on the next month or so, and I've got a game I play that requires Single thread performance because of how bad of a port it is. People with Phenoms at 3.7 Ghz are struggling while my friends with the i5s seem to not have any issues. Also, there is this weird glitch in the game, to where if you OC your CPU past 4Ghz, You get this weird boost glitch, and I don't want to alter my gameplay. I don't know the science behind it, but it's what happens. lol

I'm also excited for this HD 9970, I want one, But I think I need a better CPU right now and my GPU is enough for current gen. I'll see what happens Q1 2015.

Odd, to the 3770K :3!11!! Anyways, it would be a good time to go for the FX8320 or 8350 with a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and OC it.

Nuff Said I really encourage Phenom II users to upgrade to the FX8320 or 8350 and that amazing Sabertooth 990FX R2\Gen3 motherboard.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
AM3+ is almost a Dead Socket, i have a AM3 motherboard and i can only place AM2+ and AM3 CPUs, Bulldozer and Piledriver are out of the question and i rather not buy a Motherboard with a Socket who is about to be discontinued, i was really hoping for Steamroller on AM3+ because it will be a worthy upgrade, at this rate i rather go a 6 Core Intel CPU, since i already have to buy a new Motherboard anyway.

8350rocks

Distinguished

LOL...so that's why AMD said AM3+ is supported through 2015...and that we would see another upgrade for the socket right...?

If you are in the price range of 6 core intels, you probably don't need to be looking at anything AMD. AM3+ is not dead. AMD hasn't said anything about it. It will be a while until steamroller tho.

The wild species of hafijur emerges from his cave, ready to sell a 3970X to an unwary customer. Anyways, AM3+ does need some more press love :3

Isn't Intel in the same boat there? I mean, both Intel and AMD are in the same boat regarding sockets... AMD has to set the record straight with AM3+, though.

Cheers!

os2wiz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
I always been on a budget, but i been saving for olmost a year for Steamroller, and since there are no plans for a FX Steamroller i want to spend on something good.

Can someone post this claim about AM3+ being supported up until 2015?

os2wiz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012

Take a deep breath and control your panic attack. The AMD APU 13 conference in November will publish the new road map for cpus. If you can't hold on for less than 3 months I don't know what to think about you.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

AMD already discredited the rumour about kaveri delay and confirmed that Kaveri will be shipped in 2013 to OEMs and in 2014 to end-users.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

From the link:

it's believed that the current AMD AM3+ socket standard is good for at least one more CPU generation.

For me this fits with the new FX-9000 being the last.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
"while it's believed that the current AMD AM3+ socket standard is good for at least one more CPU generation."

You mean that quote? i don´t know, i does not seems like an official statement.

Oh and os2wiz, what panic attack? AMD there are no Roadmaps for AM3+ CPUs, no info about FX CPUs and the rumor seems very real, it is no panic attack it is just dealing with it... as of now the "rumor" seems more true than false, still a rumor though... until AMD confirms or Denies it, but i think if AMD had to deny it they would had done so already.

I preffer AMD over Intel, but i am no fanboy and i will get what is available from either AMD or Intel, and AMD does not seems to have nothing available for the moment except for the Piledriver which is not bad but also not such a innovative Arch, so that leaves me with Intel.

I am not into the whole IPC/Single Threading debate, i think True Multithreading, HSA and HUMA are the future... the Key word is "The Future", we live in the present saddly and it will take AMD at least 2 Years to take full advantage of those really cool stuff.

The truth about this matter is that there will not be a New AMD CPU for at least a Year, Considering there are plans for still supporting AM3+ or something new, that´s the truth... FX9000 is here to replace FX8350, like it or not.

8350rocks

Distinguished

You have to realize...it's not replacing the FX-8XXX anything @ $300-700/ea.

Additionally...I expect to have some insider news on this soon...stay tuned.

Warsaw PD refresh says, HELLO!

In SR\Kaveri news: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2013/08/09/amd-kaveri-denial/1 This is odd, well the title...

Status
Not open for further replies.