AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 247 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
I wish AMD could just tell us what they have in mind for High Performance Desktop, or if they had plans to soon release a 6 Core Steamroller i would shutup and give my money to AMD.

Right now i have 3 choices of upgrade from my PhenomII 965BE OCed to 4.02Ghz.

Upgrade to AM3+ Platform with FX8350
Upgrade to FM2/FM2+ Platform with Kaveri
Upgrade to Haswell

If i recall, AMD claimed that Excavator would use a new socket... so i don´t want to be locked up again... same deal with AM3+

Kaveri seems rather tempting... but that means i would upgrade from a 4 core to another 4 cores... Well 4 Cores with a nice IPC boost, but any i7 would pretty much be faster... and if FM2+ getting dumped when Excavator comes out it wont be so nice.

I did the same mistake back with AM3 when rumors started coming it would support Bulldozer, so i bought the a 790GX Motherboad and guess what? AMD released AM3+ shortly after i bought my AM3 board... i cannot upgrade to Zambezi or Vishera and i am pretty much locked to the Phenom II, which i cannot seem to be able to find the 1100T anywhere... i really don´t want to make the same mistake.

os2wiz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012

Sir. You seem to be having a hard time processing objective facts. Fact:There is an AMD developers conference in early November. Fact: AMD officials have stated that new roadmap for AMD cpu's will be released either in late October or at that conference. Fact: that means you need stop jumping on every rumor, no matter how plausible, and wait for the facts to be released. You have got ants in your pants. Please you seem intelligent in many ways, but you lack any patience. Relax. Don't jump to conclusions. That serves no constructive purpose.

Or he can have the same good luck I had when I got the 2700K.

I was waiting on the FX8350 to be delivered to Tustin's Microcenter and they slapped me with an offer (because it didn't arrive when they said it would) I could not refuse (not, it didn't involve dead horses). They gave a 50-100 USD cut in MoBo prices and had the 2700K at 120USD (or close to that). So, did my math and for 20-30USD more I had a new MoBo (Asus P8Z77V Pro) and the CPU over the 280-ish FX8350.

You should really wait for the new stuff so stores put up offers and what not to get rid of stock. I'm sure the 3770K should get some big discounts at retail stores (not newegg-like; think Fry's or Microcenter).

Oh, and that works both ways. It could happen with the FX8350 upon Kaveri launch. Discounts everywhere, haha.

Cheers!

os2wiz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

wow! 127 pages!... and a lot of commercials i suspect lol

I happen to cross at this one, not going back to read all, but there were a couple of posts that showed GCC4.8 almost 2x the performance of previous... I think Sony has an hand in this since they are using BSD and will be using GCC.

The point is Sony software will be "optimized", if "new GCC" with Jaguar is 2x(like rest of x86), then their Jaguar will have equivalent performance of Stemaroller using "windoze" lol.. that is, way above anything intel current, more so because software optimized for an AMD uarch(this case jaguar) wont run not nearly has efficient on intel uraches that have other characteristics.

I know it seems very hard to grasp the "concept"... but just consider is extremely faster and *cheaper* to tweak the software than the hardware( that is, more cores or more beefy cores etc), and cherry on top of cake, by changing for a more beefy hardware you get perhaps 10 20 maybe 30% better performance, but by tweaking the software you can get above "100%" lol

I'm quite convinced MSFT wil do the same, the software those guys will be using has little to do with the "common" PC world... they don't need the top of hardware, they will be getting higher performance with much weaker and much cheaper hardware... and yes what the top enthusiasts would be wanting is the top hardware with the most "optimized" software, then they will be unbeatable, but for the second part just forget it in current trends for the Windows PC world, is a fast shrinking market dominated by stagnating forces, single thread is the mantra, and fanboys kill each other over miserable ridiculous 20% differences... and just for context Sony will extract the double from some hardware that " a priori" would be half has powerful compared to top, so they don't lose nothing lol

Just imagine, those companies don't pay Principesc Salaries to those engineers to be stupid lol

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

I think that chart image is very illustrative of the "STAGNATION"... the 3960x barely moves anywhere, and large part of the fault is not the chip can could have more, yet it costs almost $1000... in comparison a local shop here sells the FX8350 for less than $200, so almost 5x less price, and this for 67 vs 61 or 9% less performance, meaning yould be paying ~$100 for the pleasure of each additional 1% in performance... and chances are Sony "OPTIMIZED" software could be even faster comparatively than common windows software on FX8350... i think Sony engineers are very smart lol.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

This may be a long shot but a 2015 update to their server line means they could possibly jump from 32nm -> 20nm. GF has been shipping 20nm design kits for a few months now.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
I am still trying to "see" the facts you supposedly gave me os2wiz, your assumptions and claims are as good as VR-Zone.com lately rumors... sorry but because you say so it does not make it a fact or an official AMD Statement.

Anyway, I thought i could spend my money on what ever i want, seems not... i also thought i could give my opinion on this thread considering my choices of future purchase but it seems not... If AMD had the product that fills my needs i would get it right away, they do not, not my fault nor such big deal after all.

It seems that some people just get offended by the simple fact that i can do what ever i want with my money and my time, i don´t like Intel as much as i like AMD but i am no Fanboy after all, and Intel does have what i need now.

I am not waiting for AMD any longer and i will jump to Intel platform, but seriously it is no big deal... the world will not end and i guess can have as many ants in my pants as i want to have.

My time, my money and my choice... it should not be such a big deal for you, you made it sound as if i was commiting the biggest mistake ever in the face of the world.

Two words: chill out.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Is AM3+ dead? officially not yet, unofficially VR-Zone wants it to be.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2208525/amd-sticks-with-socket-am3-for-steamroller

Pair that with the fact that SR FX was never planned until 2h 2014 along with Kaveri. What has changed? Kaveri is now q4 2013/q1 2014, SR FX likely 1h 2015. AMD said their primary focus was going to be emerging markets, they never said they were abandoning servers as far as I can remember. Kaveri moved up, FX pushed back. Thats really all we know. 9590 was just a binned 8350.

index.php
cpuz13.png

Its not a mainstream product but rather a sold version of the TWKR cpus that were given away for free. Yes, however, the 9590 is a very strange product to be seen in stores, its barely even supported by any motherboards.

http://support.asus.com/CPUSupport/List2.aspx?SLanguage=en

Sure, its a cpu, sure, you can buy it ... but can you "officially" use it? so is it an "official" cpu release? no, its a small market product specifically binned (not designed) for tweaking with ln2.

Has AMD canceled SR FX? officially we don't know, but last official word from AMD was no. http://technewspedia.com/socket-am3-cpus-will-support-future-amd-based-steamroller/ <--- note SR FX wasn't planned until 2h 2014.

AMD released a 2014 updated roadmap and now everyone is in panic mode because SR FX isn't on there, but neither are any of AMD's 28nm 2P/4P cpus, which is where SR FX will come from. VR-Zone concluded that it was canceled from that. Has it slipped to 2015? Possibly. Will VR - zone look like idiots when AMD puts out a 2015 roadmap? Possibly. Is SR-FX canceled? possibly, but AMD would lose all high end server sales.

Even though xbit is pretty hard on anything related to AMD, this is a pretty good write up at the end of 2012, and so far, its seemingly accurate.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20121122235832_AMD_s_Steamroller_High_Performance_Core_Slips_to_2014_Excavator_May_Face_Delays.html

The developers now have to work on high-end x86 server/desktop chips (FX-series, Opteron), mainstream x86 APU chips (A-series), low-power x86 APU chips (E-series) and various server and consumer ARM-based products. Ultimately, there are at least four major designs in development at AMD. In addition, AMD also has to work on improvements for its high-performance and low-power x86 micro-architectures.

... as well as XB1/PS4 designs.

Bottom line is right now, AMD is getting everyone excited about Kaveri. Heck, im curious myself how much faster than Richland it will be.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

In my original message I already mentioned Windows PC overhead when comparing the PS4 to a PC. But they ignored that when replied me. And in a posterior message I mentioned that the overhead is of about 2x, which apparently was also ignored LOL

This 2x overhead of PCs (with Windows) is overall, in some specific API calls the overhead can be up to 100x, because Sony is not using anything inefficient and bloated as DX.

Microsoft is not giving details about software in the XboxOne, but we know they are using a stripped down windows kernel plus a special DX version that allows direct low access to the console hardware (eliminating the overhead in Windows PCs).

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

To be fair, AMD has not confirmed/denied anything. From your link:

The firm said that it will continue to support the AM3+ socket and that this won't be the last processor to use the socket.

AMD also confirmed a lot of leaked information on Vishera and touted its overclocking abilities, which The INQUIRER saw first hand two weeks ago. The firm not only confirmed that Socket AM3+ users can expect at least one more chip, almost certainly one based on the Steamroller architecture, it said that all of its future processors "in a few years time" will be socket compatible.

"Almost certainly one based on the Steamroller architecture" does not support their headline "Amd Sticks with Socket AM3+ for Steamroller". What AMD said is wait one more chip for AM3+ and they have offered the Centurion chip:

FX-8000 ---> FX-9000

I don't understand your "abandoning servers". AMD already presented the server roadmap. They are not abandoning anything.

mlscrow

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010

I'm in the same boat. Still chugging along with my 955BE@4GHz and it's been handling everything I throw at it so far. Yes, I could get more performance if I just swap over to Intel now, but I want to wait to hear whether or not Steamroller CPU's will be available with more than 4 cores. If AMD announces an 8-core SR chip, that is what I will be picking up. If they end up revealing that they will only be using up to 4 SR cores in their products going forward, then yes, I might as well just pick up a 4770k. I'm currently in CPU upgrade limbo.

os2wiz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012

When you share your thoughts in social media they are no longer yours alone. They are subject to arguement and criticism. Do whatever you please, but your analysis of what is happening is hopelessly flawed and irrational. I am not demeaning you, but you refuse to look at facts and attach your reactions to mere hunches and innuendo. Not a good move.

os2wiz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012

When you share your thoughts in social media they are no longer yours alone. They are subject to argument and criticism. Do whatever you please, but your analysis of what is happening is hopelessly flawed and irrational. I am not demeaning you, but you refuse to look at facts and attach your reactions to mere hunches and innuendo. Not a good move.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

you missed 2 words. High End, IE AMD isn't making a 28nm high end server cpu according to VR-Zone.

As I stated before, fx-9000 isn't a true "new product" its still the same piledriver cpu (stepping and revision) and will barely be supported by any motherboards. Asus doesn't even support it officially. Not officially by MSI. Asrock has one ---
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/990FX%20Extreme9/?cat=CPU

Do you really think of FX 9000 as a serious release considering its price? Its targeted at a very small market of people who want to try and run 6.0 ghz and up. Heck, even Newegg can't just "sell" it, every option has the H80i + MB as a package deal.

This item can only be purchased with combo...
Sorry,this gift item is part of a promotional special and cannot be manually added to your cart. If you'd like to receive the gift item, please add all required products to your shopping cart.

Thats the 9590 on newegg. Sorry, the 9590 is just a gimmick. Yes, AMD released it, Yes AMD is making money from it, good for them. If this actually is the end of AMD's cpus, then RR put the last nail in the coffin.

sorry, but I don't share your entheusaism for the VR-Zone article being accurate that AMD is done making High End cpus. Its not even official either, rumor based on some super-secret roadmap that they aren't even supposed to have.

Here is how reliable that VR-Z speculation is.

In late July VR-Zone obtained a series of documents given to OEMs by AMD behind closed doors (the document we obtained is heavily watermarked so we can’t post it publicly). This document says that engineering samples of Kaveri won’t be ready until August, production candidate samples will go out in October and initial production will begin in December. The target launch into channel is now mid-February 2014 meaning that consumers will be able to buy the chip until the spring.
August 5, 2013 3:56 pm

or

'AMD's ‘Kaveri’ high-performance APU remains on track and will start shipping to customers in Q4 2013,'
First public availability in the desktop component channel [for Kaveri will be] very early in Q1 2014,'

Published on 9th August 2013
so sometime in the spring of 2014 according to VR
or
if you want it for xmsas, you have to buy one from HP, Acer, ect. or wait till ~jan-feb to build your own.
according to AMD's denial of a delay

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

So by rational what you mean is do what you say?

According to your thinking i should wait for whatever AMD has to offer... which is... nothing as of now? and going Intel is just such a sacrilege?

So you`re raging because i have a bunch of money worth a year savings for a Strong PC, i waited for Bulldozer to upgrade my 965BE for almost 2 year and turns out it was just Meh.. waited another yeah for Piledriver which was ok but nothing out of extraordinary... waited another year for a new Piledriver Refresh and we got an FX9000 which has a TDP of over 220W and a price over 800 Bucks? and now you`re telling me that i should for wait probably another year to see if AMD has something to offer? and thay if i spend my 1,500$ in Intel is just irrational and flawed? haha... hahaha... hahahahaha... HAHAHAHAHA...Yeah... well NO thanks.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
@mlscrow, good to know I'm not the only one! I'd be happy with 6 cores around SB performance from AMD. I'd buy that in a heart beat. It would mean I didn't only save money by not buying a SB-E 6 core i7. It would mean I get that performance with out the pretty much useless Hyper Threading (Unless if you're into that kind of thing). Shoot, Even if I have to OC a small bit just to hit SB i5 core performance, I'll gladly do it.

Tbh, we let too many weeds get into this thread. Too much false information floating around in the stream of data. I'm not mentioning any names, but the people spreading this information seem to be making it up as they go along. I saw 2 posts from the same user that contradicted the said statements.

os2wiz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012
Anyway, I thought i could spend my money on what ever i want, seems not... i also thought i could give my opinion on this thread considering my choices of future purchase but it seems not... If AMD had the product that fills my needs i would get it right away, they do not, not my fault nor such big deal after all.

It seems that some people just get offended by the simple fact that i can do what ever i want with my money and my time, i don´t like Intel as much as i like AMD but i am no Fanboy after all, and Intel does have what i need now.

I am not waiting for AMD any longer and i will jump to Intel platform, but seriously it is no big deal... the world will not end and i guess can have as many ants in my pants as i want to have.

My time, my money and my choice... it should not be such a big deal for you, you made it sound as if i was commiting the biggest mistake ever in the face of the world.

Two words: chill out.[/quotemsg]
When you share your thoughts in social media they are no longer yours alone. They are subject to argument and criticism. Do whatever you please, but your analysis of what is happening is hopelessly flawed and irrational. I am not demeaning you, but you refuse to look at facts and attach your reactions to mere hunches and innuendo. Not a good move.
[/quotemsg]

So by rational what you mean is do what you say?

According to your thinking i should wait for whatever AMD has to offer... which is... nothing as of now? and going Intel is just such a sacrilege?

So you`re raging because i have a bunch of money worth a year savings for a Strong PC, i waited for Bulldozer to upgrade my 965BE for almost 2 year and turns out it was just Meh.. waited another yeah for Piledriver which was ok but nothing out of extraordinary... waited another year for a new Piledriver Refresh and we got an FX9000 which has a TDP of over 220W and a price over 800 Bucks? and now you`re telling me that i should for wait probably another year to see if AMD has something to offer? and thay if i spend my 1,500$ in Intel is just irrational and flawed? haha... hahaha... hahahahaha... HAHAHAHAHA...Yeah... well NO thanks.[/quotemsg]

No sir. I just don't understand, unless there is an imminent emergency, like your computer died, why you wouldn't wait less than 3 months when AMD will release their new Road map for desktop cpus. Then you can be sure you will be making a decision with all the facts at your command. Whether it be Intel or AMD, or a specific choice within a couple of AMD choices, you will be making the right decision that you will later not regret. No more comments by me on your posts. That should be a relief to you.

"Inferior", in a factor of TDP, which desktop users don't give a flying **** about.

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

I still think, and according to that AMD VP interview, that Kaveri will be here on 4Q13 but only in the hands of users (in mass so to speak) by 1H2014 , that he was referring to *Mobile* systems... those don't have sockets that ppl can upgrade and are out in mass when HIVs are ready... i'm convinced a couple of them will have *mobile* systems for the cristmas season.

AMD has been doing it since Llano, here at beginning 2011, but only in mass(so to speak) to the hands of users by the summer. So Kaveri *Mobile* most probably will be the same and will be "bulk" Glofo... the desktop version replacing desktop Richland, and possible FX/server versions, only later... and fab process and configs still unknown.

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

Yes, but the real trick is that what applies to the CPU side also applies to the GPU side, those *SOFTWARE* abstraction layers will be much more efficient, just simply becasue they don't have legacy worries is one cause... so any GPU with 768 ot 1024 sp will perform much better (and you can put *much* on it) than comparing with what is current in 768 or 1024sp Windows PC world.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

Meanwhile, Intel Hit a road block and their excuse to charge you more money is power consumption. So, you feel the need to justify your purchases by coming and a AMD User thread and are spreading false information along with hafijur? It's funny watching you people say "Intel is holding back on AMD." Truth is, Intel is being lazy. I know that as a fact.

Was the 1090T designed to compete with the 3770K, simple answer: no.................................. Not to mention he was using single-channel DDR3 and did not overclock whatsoever. Sandy Bridge was nothing special, if anything, it killed OCing for almost everything and the Celeron 300A schemes of the 21st century (ala X3340) while adding a 15% increase. When andandtech calls Haswell Desktop a joke, you're gonna have a bad time. Stop being @$$ hurt and run away to a "Bash AMD, Intel is god" thread. AMD's change to a brand-new architecture (BD) is far more innovative then a glorified P6 Pentium Pro, JSYK.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

You're delusional. The only thing innovative going on at Intel is them brainstorming ideas for new commercials. Lol, You just stated that SB is an amazing level. Which is a almost true statement. Which is why you just proved my point. If AMD makes a 6 core chip that has per core SB i5 performance, that CPU would in fact destroy a Haswell i7. Again, it's pointless debating against you. Again, I'm obviously not a fan boy. Have you not been reading my last few posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.