AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 248 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

*Facepalm* You do realize that BD depends on properly-threaded apps, per-core performance wont matter in the near future. Nehalem wasn't a joke either, it was just a routine improvement, like Sandy. Sandy was nothing special, it gave you your usual 10-20% overall increase, at most a TIIINY bit more then Yorkfield->Bloomfield. BD is like the Phenom I, sure you can have a laugh about it when it comes out, but what will you use today, a Phenom X4 9950, or the Core 2 Duo E6850? In mid-2014 where there are plenty of next-gen console ports, would you rather game on a 8150 or a 2500K?

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

Nehalem junk, lol. Nehalem was a bigger jump in performance than SB was, let alone Haswell to SB.

I personally am kind of laughing because AMD is slaughtering Intel in the low power market with Jaguar, yet you come here and argue that the most important place for power consumption is in a desktop rig that's going to be overclocked.

Hajifur are you done yet? Seriously I'm going to last a lot longer than you, unlike some of the other folks in this thread I smile when I see your posts, because I know I'm going to get to see some broken English with broken logic (most of the time not even having any logic, ergo "here's what I believe with no proof"), and some guy who doesn't know what he's talking about sounding very confident.

You should perhaps avoid the fight of "should we be laughing at Intel or AMD?" and instead take on the fight of "everyone is laughing at me."

You got a QX6700, that says a lot :D The 3317u is a more Expensive processor then the 5750M and has worse integrated graphics, what the A10 was designed to do.... Must MU_Engineer rant about why Intel is trying to brutally underclock Haswell to replace Atom? For quite a bit less, the Phenom I X4 was actually quite a good deal, priced around the Core 2 Duos and gave the similarly priced Q8XX0 processors a run for their money when OCd, it is just like the BD 8120 and 8150. You do realize Jaguar is a low end part, and utterly destroys the PO$ that is Atom. You make me laugh at your stupidity. The same "ermehgawd massive improvement" response happens when you go from a K8 Turion to a Mobile A10.....

I never said they were not comparable, they are in the same market... Why he would "upgrade" to a Q9300 is beyond me.

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

AMD will *ALWAYS* be later than Intel on schedules(for the foreseeable future), simply because they are smaller and have much less resources, and intel when wanting can put as much as 3x more engineers at some project and move things much faster...

To me personally it means less than a tiny rat ass hair... and it should for the very large majority of users to(pardon the arrogance), unless they prove they will be changing platforms and systems less than a year... *EVERY YEAR*... then this "inherent" intel advantage might have some meaning.

The Thuban was never to compete with the SNB upgrades, but its better than the Core2 and Nehalem.. and appeared, much later of course, when this last one intel was still being sold and was the mainstream.

So the differences in roadmaps is not that great... and all should resume to TCOs (total cost of ownership) IMHO... price/performance... because if you upgrade between 2 years or more you'll always be upgrading quite above, and any temporary advantage becomes meaningless(depends on the purpose of your system). So to me the price and upgradability of the platform you choose, is far more important than any temporary performance that you might enjoy at any time.... and this its obvious ( at least to me) either you choose Intel or AMD...

mlscrow

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
You know what really boggles my mind, and maybe more advanced experts can speak to this, but when AMD announced their server parts for 2014, one thing kind of caught my eye,

"Berlin" is an x86-based processor that will be available both as a CPU and APU."

If Berlin will be offered as just a CPU, what will they do with all of that extra die space with the iGPU gone? Could it be that they actually do intend on releasing a 4 module CPU? Would they really just leave only 2 modules and a bunch of empty space? It definitely is making me curious.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

They would be some rather inexpensive server chips. Think FX-4550 or Opteron 3350 HE. They're used in Seamicro servers and other lower power server blades. They say it's the fastest growing segment in the server marketplace.

The CPU would likely be compatible with existing motherboards.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-Opteron%203350%20HE%20-%20OS3350HOW4KHK.html

Probably fill the same spot as the Athlon K's in FM1 and FM2. That is: defective units getting life in another (incomplete) form.

Cheers!

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
I almost walked out the store today with an A6-5200 (Kabini quad) system when I noticed one glaring flaw from the OEM (Lenovo). It only had a 10/100 MB Ethernet port included. Ugh! No gigabit no dice. It was cheap though $329.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

I have no F Clue what you´re talking about, and don´t compare me with the hafijur Intel fanboy.

I did not created the rumor and only posted the vr-zone link", it is there for anyone interested in anything related to Steamroller, which has "speculation" in the name of the thread.

Can you please post the comment i where i went back in my own statements? again, i like AMD but you will go as far as to rage if something bad is talked about AMD.

The rumor is there and fits PERFECTLY in this thread.

Don´t like? well sorry for you.

So apparently i have to kiss AMD ass in order for you fanboys to accept me in your Club, where the hell where you when i threw a rant to hafijur and his constant anti-AMD comments? how about when i also threw another rant in favor of AMD while the other guy who keept talking about his 3930k that does not own yet? did you noticed i defended AMD? no? well that speaks about your fanboyism.

I will talk wonders about AMD when they deserve it, and i will talk wonders about Intel when they deserve it.. which does not happens most of the time since they are mostly Greedy a-holes. but still when they do something good i will aplaude them.

I am not here to talk thrash about AMD, but they don´t have nothing to offer ME at this time... if you got butthurt by that and the Vr-zone link well your loss dude, again i did not Created the rumor and only posted it because i feelt (and i still do) that it is most likely True, that´s my personal take on this matter and if your butt aches well sorry dude, is your fault for worshipping a Corporation... yes they are a corporation they are not charity and they will probably give damn about you, but AMD fills a spot with good products at affordable prices.

Oh can you please post one of my comments where i claim Intel is holding AMD back? i think GlobalFoundries is holding AMD back, i think they are the #1 reason for all the crap AMD has been taking, not INTEL at all... go find such comment where i shit talk on AMD and also where i commented how the evil Intel is slowing AMD, But if you do not find one such comments or where i thrash AMD you gona have to eat your crap with some Piss sauce.

You are entitled to your opinion, just as everyone else... but the name of the thread is called "AMD Steamroller speculation... and expert conjecture", im no expert but i can surely speculate on the matter huh? perhaps you would rather have it called "Lets kiss AMD ass and bring forth the rage of the Gods to anyone who disagrees with us"

My opinion is that Steamroller FX is probably scrapped because of the lack of a Desktop CPU roadmap since Dec 2012, and VR-zone link pushes my belief... i did how ever thought it was good to share with you all... oh and can you please confirm that AMD has not abandoned Steamroller FX?

When you claim i SPREAD false rumors you mean that you got butthurt by vr-zone link right? i mean if you have a problem with the rumor you can just go post mean comments to VR-Zone site or something because they are the ones who created the rumor, not me... i just posted the link and asked if anyone else had seen it, and you can go back to my comments and check by yourself. Then a bunch of other people commented it was bummer that Steamroller FX was abandoned, then i went forth and decided i should just go Intel platform (because i am no fanboy like most of you) because i just waited too long since 2010 and still see nothing from AMD in the horizon for me worth upgrading to... and you got butthurt by that? whats wrong with you people?

Everything was fine with my comments until i said i should just jump to an Intel platform, then all you fanboys started having a diarrhea rage attack.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Now you're using used/stolen/hand-me-down ebay prices vs retail prices, as a performance metric? That must have been about twice as much new, with an i5 in it. And there's just no way an i5 +discrete +chipset can use less power than the Kabini SoC.

I don't buy used computers. I like my toys virgin clean.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Sorry If I misunderstood you, but I cannot find the words "high end" in the paragraph that I was replying, neither I can find the words in the rest of your message.

In any case. AMD is not abandoning high end servers. They are releasing Warsaw chips with improvements over existent high end Opteron series. Yes, Warsaw are 32nm Piledriver cores, but they are coming only in 12/16 core. The previous 4/6/8 core high end conf. are eliminated. Why? I believe that it is because the new Berlin 4 core APUs have enough performance enough to allow AMD to eliminate those "high end" parts and retain only the top "high end" parts.

In short: 4 SR Berlin APU ~ 8 PD CPU

I assume that Warsaw chips will be replaced by APUs at the end of 2014 or maybe 2015. The question is if they will be replaced by a future 6 SR APU (recall the rumour about a 3M Kaveri) or if will be directly replaced by a 4 EV APU.

It is entirely possible that AMD is adapting its roadmap to GloFo process roadmap and that big 3 modules come latter and it is entirely possible that AMD is focusing in HUMA (which would imply few stronger CPU cores rather than more weak CPU cores). I don't have enough information at this point.

It does not matter what I think. AMD think that the Centurion chips are a new product. Otherwise they would not work so hard to marketing them, and use a new labelling "Series 9000", if AMD considered the chips only a minor update, then would name their top chip as "8370" or "8460" or something like that instead of "9560". Look at pattern:

Bulldozer --> 8100
Piledriver --> 8300
[strike]Steamroller --> 8500[/strike]
Centurion --> 9000

Using my own resources, I got the idea that FX-9000 is the last FX series and that AMD is not releasing 8-core SR FX, much before the VR-Zone article was written and mentioned. I posted the idea here several days ago.

Of course, I am open to change my mind, but I need something more than links to the Inquirer

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Yes, I also mentioned that in previous posts and said that a PC with Windows needs at least a GTX-680/780 to compete with PS4 in graphics performance. Precisely those are the cards that are being used to run demos of next consoles games.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

I feel bad for AMD having to deal with GlobalFoundries, they been leeching on them and if they continue to be way behind TSMC and Intel they will just hurt AMD even more... AMD been pushing their products by a year or two thanks to them.

And i do remember Juanrga making the assumption that FX may just be dropped soon a few pages back, it really makes sense that AMD abandons the FX since it has brought AMD such a bad reputation since Bulldozer, i seen people talk so much crap about the FX slow IPC and Single Threading power (specially Zambezi).

I think Vishera was a good step forward, but AMD are sticking way too long with that arch and in a world currently dominated by Single Threaded applications they may appear to some to be a little slow, again it is thanks to GloFo for the lack of AMD competition and constant products being pushed back.

I just got my younger brother an AMD Gaming PC with 8GB Ram, an FX-8120 and a HD7870 and he claims to be playing GTA4, SR3, SR2 and SimCity 2013 with no issues with fast FPS, he loves first ever Desktop PC since he made the jump from his Xbox360.

My current PC has a AMD PhenomII x4 965 OCed to 4.02Ghz with 6GB DDR3, i had a HD5770 but it became kinda slow a year or so with newer games and my older brother who does not understand a lot about PCs gave me his GTX470, so i been gaming on most new games on 1600x1200 pretty much on Very High Detail or High in the worst cases like Crysis3 at atleast a 30 minimum FPS, i was really really hoping for a Steamroller 8 Core CPU and like i said before i had been saving for almost a year for a new PC while i gave this one to my family.

I really don´t see much in the horizon from AMD at the moment for high end gaming, but the Kaveri APU seems quite nice, the boost i would get from the 965BE to the Kaveri would be of about 30-40% more performance, but the new age of games will depend less on IPC and while needing more Cores, so that is the only draw back i see going to AM3 to FM2+ platform, and AMD has been saying that Excavator will use a new socket, so that´s something else to think about when moving to FM2+, i wish they would just had keep their GDDR5 and 6 Core Kaveri APU plans or a confirmation of a Steamroller FX since that would had been such a massive performance boost from my current system.

This has been my first AMD system since my prior system has been Intel/nVidia combo, i really liked this current AMD system which has lasted a heck TON of time (since Dec 2009) with the Same Motherboard, CPU and Ram while my previous Intel/nVidia systems only lasted up to two years the most, this little guy 965BE is a total warrior fending off all games at the higest settings since 2009, i had to lower the resolution to keep up more FPS since i am not that picky when it comes to jagged edges, and i seriously think about supporting AMD in the future, but as of now they really don´t have much that serves my purposes and my needs.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
@etayorius: Yeah, I understand you're not a Intel fan boy. But Jumping to conclusions never helped anyone. I support your decision to go intel, nothing wrong with that. It's what you want, then buy it.

AMD might be canceling the FX line up, but they said nothing about canceling SteamRoller or any desktop CPUs. For all you guys know, they just canceled the "FX" name. That's all I've got from these rumors. I think we will see SteamRoller on AM3+. However, I don't think we will see a AM3+ we will be seeing a 8 core SteamRoller AM3+ chip if we do get SR AM3+.

What would be hilarious is if that 12 core Phenom pic was real, and AMD released that instead of SteamRoller xD

8350rocks

Distinguished

The SR FX equivalent could, just as easily, be named a Phenom III...

mlscrow

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010

That would totally kick some @$$! I'd get it just for that reason alone.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

12 core Phenom's have been around for a while as Opterons. Aka Magny-Cours. Just at 2.5Ghz instead of the 6Ghz of the leak/rumor. With that many cores you need a quad-channel memory interface which is why they are only seen on sever motherboards.

Internally they probably did do some testing to see how the die shrink would perform at 32/28nm. For whatever reason they chose the Bulldozer path for production.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Opteron%206180%20SE%20-%20OS6180YETCEGO.html

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

I would buy the PhenomIII in a haste if they ever do it, the Phenom brand is well loved among Budget PC Users and they know they are good performers, no CPU has lasted me for almost 4 years and still kicking strong anything i throw at it,

Regarding the 12 Core PhenomIV rumor with the CPU-Z screen that is surely a big fake, it would be possible at 20-22nm but not at current die Shrinks at the Speed and TDP the rumor claims.

I want the "Phenom" name back as well. DAT LOGO :3 Phenom IV rumor is dead dead 4 sure.

Update: Just had to do it :3

sazyario

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
I'm sorry... why are people fighting performance of Intel/AMD?
There are charts EVERYWHERE on this website and forum about exactly that...
Can we please drop it?

Has there been any real info about Steamroller? I'm hoping that Steamroller has CPU performance of Sandy Bridge with a TDP close to Sandy Bridge but with the phenomenal integrated graphics that AMD's APUs have.

sazyario

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
I'm sorry... why are people fighting performance of Intel/AMD?
There are charts EVERYWHERE on this website and forum about exactly that...
Can we please drop it?

Has there been any real info about Steamroller? I'm hoping that Steamroller has CPU performance of Sandy Bridge with a TDP close to Sandy Bridge but with the phenomenal integrated graphics that AMD's APUs have.

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

You would understand why people like hajifur exist in these threads if you simply googled "forum sliding"

People like him are not here to address hardware, they are here to distract and sow doubt, fear, anger, and encourage discussion about things unrelated to the original topic.

I was thinking at least hajifur was one of these folks (usually employeed or at least paid money for their effors) and the fact that he managed to completely ignore my musings on Jaguar to Intel price to performance numbers while continually repeating the same things he's said before (this sort of behavior is often used to cause emotional responses which escalate the deviation from the original topic) in an effort to make me angry about the whole thing.

Curiously I find it funny that Tom's moderation staff has allowed him to acquire so many posts while exibiting this sort of behavior. I wouldn't be surprised if Tom's saw some sort of benefit from allowing people like hajifur to run around and slide forums into disarray.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

+1 What makes it even more funny is seeing him post a video on here, and then when you click the video and read the comments section, you spot his BS that he says on here. Lol! I'm at the point to where I don't care anymore. You can't argue with a crazy person.

What makes me sad is all the guys here who tell people not to go z77 because it's a dead socket. But the only thing z87 has to offer is a Haswell refresh. We all know that Intel isn't giving us anything beyond Quadcores on their zXX series sockets. Until AMD poses a per-core threat. Which I'm ready for!

@The Q6660 Inside: Like my buddy Ron would say, "I'm lovin' it!"

Status
Not open for further replies.