AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 276 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hmm.... so only amd is glofo's customer for HPP version. interesting. any news on when/if 28nm HPP is going to start producing the apus?

ye experts: how does 28nm HPP + bulk compare to other types? e.g. 28nm HPM + bulk -> does it mean mobile(laptops and lower tdp) apus up to 2.6-3.0 ghz? that situation doesn't seem bad. (most dt users except c.a.l.f. will likely feel screwed although amd has been screwing them since zambezi.. :lol:)
will it be enough to bring up single core perf to sandy bridge level?
i don't think the igpu will be affected much by silicon choice, right?

c.a.l.f. - cult of amd loving fanboys.

edit: HPM is tsmc's. glofo equivalent might be LPH.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Yes, Nvidia says "support", but this is the same than when they announced (guess what?) support for the PS4. I am not going to evaluate if developers are idiots or are not (you are more competent at that), because the point is that contrary to your claims both PS4 and XboxOne support PhysX technology from Nvidia. Like it or not and move ;)

Your links are older than the quotes from Intel representatives. Moreover, your links are centred about supposed leaked details about roadmaps about Broadwell. I already explained what is happening with Broadwell. If as you say 14nm is not coming, where are the delays of the other 14nm products?

8350rocks

Distinguished

They're not due out until much later than broadwell was supposed to launch...Q4 2014 I believe...they may have it sorted out by then...maybe not.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

The first link about FD-SOI has above top a FOLLOW UP: "AMD Denies Building Chips at IBM's Factories".

The second link has some interesting parts:

While shoring up the 32 nm process was of extreme importance to GF, it seemingly took resources away from further developing 28 nm and below processes. While work was still being done on these products, the roadmap was far too aggressive for what they were able to accomplish. The hits just kept coming though. AMD cut back on 32nm orders, which had a financial impact on both companies. It was cheaper for AMD to renegotiate the contract and take a penalty rather than order chips that it simply could not sell. GF then had lots of line space open on 32 nm SOI (Dresden) that could not be filled. AMD then voided another contract in which they suffered a larger penalty by opting to potentially utilize a second source for 28 nm HKMG production of their CPUs and APUs. AMD obviously was very uncomfortable about where GF was with their 28 nm process.

Which agrees with AMD explanation on why they chose 28nm bulk: for flexibility. Aka opening the door to being able to switch from Glofo to another foundry if Glofo was over promising once again. Do you know that Cray lost money because couldn't provide supercomputers to clients thanks to Glofo impossibility to provide Opteron chips on date?

If 28nkm FD-SOI is ready, please say me where because Globalfoundries only offers 28nm bulk

http://www.globalfoundries.com/technology/28nm.aspx

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

Yes but that is NOT 3 FPUs... its 1 FPU with 3 pipes, like BD/PD is 1 FPU with 4 pipes. Now that seems worst unless those FMAC pipes are 256bit capable of executing in a single cycle. Then it will be much better for all AVX, AVX 2 and XOP, 256 bit.

Yet is not clear if it is 2 decode engines but sharing the same 4 pipes... IMO what could be really dedicated is the input of the decoders ("pick buffers"), and output buffers ( certainly since there are for sure 2 dispatches). What seems clear is that the Vector paths are some how detached, that is, the pipes are the same 4, but 2 of them work with vector (pipe extension) in a dedicated per thread fashion, and then each "decode engine" sees its dedicated pipe with vector capability + 2 other direct path... like;

vec(direct) A Thread + {direct(pipe) + direct(pipe) }(shared) + vec(direct) B Thread

Then each thread sees 3 pipes (1vec+ 2 direct)... but there isn't 6 pipes... there are the same 4 but half shared. This could really decode 4 direct path instructions in 2 cycles (its 2 "direct pipes" shared) as revealed. Upon single thread the pertinent decode engine sees 3 pipes( 1 vec + 2 directh) like K10... and that seems what is in that GCC patch... and better it will be capable (as revealed) to dispatch 8 uops for execution per cycle (2 dispatch engines), which seems to indicated there are stream loop buffers after decode (2 direct path macro-ops per thread per 2 cycles in decode, makes 4uops per 2 cycles for dispatch/issue, not 4 per cycle per dispatch( 8 total )... kind of LSD buffers are needed).

Yes its much better at decode, but is NOT the best change to the BD design... the best change will be the "detached" L/S engines; "" The load/store queue unit is not attached to the schedulers but communicates with all the execution units separately instead. ""... meaning the "FP scheduler" is now really an extension of all the integer ones ( is not dependent), FP can proceed semi-independent of integer tracking... the 2 integer cores can now somehow work together for a single thread... and is very fit for "data speculation" and or "eager execution".

For this part alone, 15% better IPC seems short... specially attending it could have some sort of "data speculation" and or "eager execution". If something of the kind even if rudimentary, then it will put it clearly ahead of Intel, and ~30% better IPC( ops per cycle) in a generalized way seems not far fetched.

8350rocks

Distinguished

You're funny...on the same site and same drop down menu...you passed up 32/28nm HKMG (AMD's process) to go straight to 28nm bulk.

http://www.globalfoundries.com/technology/32-28nm.aspx

The 28nm HKMG process was really only ever a half node shrink anyway. To drop down 4nm and retain the same process is really not a huge step. Especially considering that the BEOL for the 28nm bulk and HKMG FD-SOI are the same. Which is part of the reason the process ports so easily from bulk to FD-SOI. To go the opposite direction FD-SOI->Bulk is actually more complicated because there are several extra mask layers in the production process.

Even if you're right and they start on bulk...I highly doubt they finish with the product on bulk. AMD knows it's easier to go bulk->FD-SOI than the opposite direction.

Additionally...I highly doubt the initial offering (if it's indeed on bulk as you seem to be determined to think) would not be incredibly lackluster. FD-SOI is a significantly better process than even HPP bulk. Additionally, GF has already been shipping ARM CPUs on 28nm SHPP...

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/164400-globalfoundries-may-be-stealing-28nm-business-from-rival-tsmc

http://www.advancedsubstratenews.com/2012/10/go-ahead-take-28nm-fd-soi-out-for-a-test-drive/

http://hothardware.com/News/Samsung-GlobalFoundries-Announce-New-28nm-Collaboration/

Also, STMicro and IBM are partnered with GloFo and Samsung for 28nm, and STMicro and IBM both offer 28nm SHPP already in production...which means that 28nm SHPP (FD-SOI) is already available from GloFo through either themselves, or a partner...

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

From Globalfoundries link:

GLOBALFOUNDRIES' industry-leading 28nm Systems-on-Chip (SoCs) design platform is based on high-k metal-gate (HKMG) technology. GLOBALFOUNDRIES is driving the global standard for new technologies such as High-k Metal Gate (HKMG) with several co-development partners including IBM, Renesas, STMicroelectronics, Samsung, and Toshiba. This 28nm HKMG solution is far superior to that currently pursued by the other leading pure-play foundries, in both scalability (die size, design compatibility, performance) and manufacturability. This 28nm solution is a "Gate-First" approach that shares the process flow, design flexibility, design elements and benefits of all previous nodes based upon poly SiON gate stacks.
Features

The technology is available in super low-power (SLP), high performance-plus (HPP) and low power, high performance (LPH) technology offerings, to cater to the complex requirements of next-generation SoC's.

The 28nm technologies are based on bulk silicon substrates, and are designed for a wide variety of applications from high performance such as graphics and wired networking to mobile computing and digital consumer to low power wireless mobile applications that require long battery lifetime.

And more of that here:

http://www.globalfoundries.com/technology/leading_edge_tech.aspx

Our 28nm technologies are based on industry-standard bulk silicon substrates and utilize the same HKMG gate stack as our 32nm-SHP. The 28nm High Performance Plus (HPP) and Super Low Power (SLP) technologies are designed for a wide variety of applications from high-performance graphics and wired networking to low-power wireless mobile applications that require long battery lifetime. Both HPP and SLP utilize HKMG technology for superior control of the channel with high on currents and low leakage current. The 28nm technology offers the smallest SRAM cell size (0.120 µm2) currently reported in the foundry industry, delivering more than twice the gate density of industry standard 40nm processes. At 28nm, GLOBALFOUNDRIES will be on the second generation of HKMG technology and the third generation of immersion lithography. And since the 28nm technology is a direct shrink of 32nm, customers will benefit greatly from the high-volume ramp of our 32nm-SHP technology.

I will not ask you again where is 28nm SOI, because it is nowhere. Currently Globo only has 28nm bulk. Globo doesn' have even ready 28nm FD-SOI risk production :D

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

I think is kind of confirmed that 14nm at intel will be "finfet on bulk". But then 10nm could be on SOI wafers... but it will be Finfet on SOI, or finfet on oxide (FOX) like IBM calls it, not FD-SOI. There is a difference in the wafers, for finfet they don't have to have those very precise Ultra Thin Body(channel) & Box(burried oxide) (edt), in fact those SOI wafer for finfet could be cheaper.

The problem is the rest, making finfet well is exponentially harder and more expensive, though the wafers can be cheaper, the overall price tends to be much higher. Besides, for low power nothing beats FD-SOI, Finfet cannot have back gate bias, and we don't know yet how far "booster" techs can push FD-SOI... it may end up FD-SOI is even better for high performance also, not only low power, and its possible FD-SOI could go for the 7nm nodes, and easier for III-V integration, so the best process for the next 5 to 7 years.. or more. After 7nm FD-SOI will be kaput to, no way to scale further those "thin" layers, finfet could be more future prone, meanwhile they are behind like STMicro showed.

Nevertheless for intel the finfet investment is already done, so most probably will be finfet on SOI (plenty of advantages)... it has cost them a literal fortune to push finfet quite ahead of all R&D institutes and universities experiments, they must have bumped their head against a wall at every turn, and finfet on bulk at intel must had been brewing at least for the last 5 years.. horrorful expensive... that is why the massive campaign of finfet the best thing since the invention of sliced bread ensued... which is now horroful evident is not true.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

wow ... he (whoever yusuke is) claims bulk ... but doesn't know what process its going to be.

The funny part is how everything lines up. GF is risk producing 28nm FD-SOI in q4 2013, Kaveri will be limited quantities Q4 2013. GF is volume producing 28nm FD-SOI in q1 2014, Kaveri is public available Q1 2014. Yet ... kaveri is bulk ...

juanrga said:
ä

If 28nkm FD-SOI is ready, please say me where because Globalfoundries only offers 28nm bulk

•Regarding the roll-out, he concluded, “A PDK of this technology is available this quarter, and GlobalFoundries has partnered with ST for volume manufacturing and will be entering risk production in the 4th quarter of 2013, with volume production in the first half of 2014.”

http://semimd.com/hars/tag/globalfoundries/

ALSO

JMC: For manufacturing, 28nm FD-SOI technology uses the same toolset as for 28nm LP bulk. Process development is complete, and ST/Crolles fab is now working to bring yield at production levels and complete the qualification of the technology, as done for any other.

Phase-in of the technology at GlobalFoundries is planned to start Q1 2013, with process qualified and with production level yield foreseen for Q4 2013.
http://semimd.com/hars/2012/10/08/sts-fd-soi-tech-available-to-all-through-gf/

Aside from GF being able to use the wafers, you have to have the wafer itself.

http://www.advancedsubstratenews.com/2013/07/ready-for-fd-soi-says-worlds-largest-silicon-wafer-company/

So WHY ISN'T GF ADVERTISING THEIR SOI FOR SALE ON THEIR WEBSITE??????

Its not q4 2013 yet, and likely first run productions are limited to those who worked with GF to get that production ramped up. Did you help them?

To sum it up:

Amd likely made testing production on bulk (probably because GF didn't have any FD-SOI wafers to actually use)

GF's announced 28nm FD-SOI timeline co-incides with kaveri's launch rumors.

IMO, bulk AMD will be slow and if AMD does another downgrade in computing power, they are done. This is why if bulk isn't up to speed it will be SOI. We don't need AMD to be "slightly faster than VIA".

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

Glofo has FD-SOI alright, only not quite ready... 1H 2014 is the roadmap (other articles).

http://www.advancedsubstratenews.com/2013/04/gfs-two-flavors-of-fd-soi-kengeri-explains-exclusive-asn-qa/

And they are not so shy to evidence the cost advantages (they could have try to hide it and charge the same or more, studies now don't allow it)... before they were about to ditch SOI altogether, the contract for 32nm PD-SOI was what hold their hand(why BD didn't debuted above 4Ghz)... thye may end up with more costumers for FD-SOI than planar bulk or finfet on bulk ( the first is kaput anyway).

http://www.advancedsubstratenews.com/2013/07/globalfoundries-on-cost-vs-performance-for-fd-soi-bulk-and-finfet/

If i were AMD all production will go FD-SOI including GPGPUs lol

8350rocks

Distinguished

It's not even in the realm of reality for FinFET to be feasible in terms of cost past 14nm I wouldn't expect. FD-SOI will be far better @ >=10nm.

What a fortune they must've spent guessing wrong. It kind of makes me laugh...honestly...serves them right.

up the gpu clocks and down the cpu clocks.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
What the??? LOL! If this isn't a typo, these Volcanic Island GPUs sound impressive with their DDR5.

http://www.amdoverclock.net/amd-volcanic-islands-gpu-family-possible-specifications-and-mid-october-launch-revealed/

*edit* I know DDR essentially the same as GDDR, but I'm curious to see if there would be a performance increase.

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

Actually all foundries wafers are 3th part supply, including plain bulk (and there are variations on cristal orientation for bulk)... i think only intel does their own wafers...

And in reality AMD could had picked kaveri design, buy a couple of wafers, and make a "test drive" for almost free..

http://www.advancedsubstratenews.com/2012/10/go-ahead-take-28nm-fd-soi-out-for-a-test-drive/

I don't know if they did, but they could have done this test easily, CMP and Leti provided... kaveri on FD-SOI... ( is a test... for production then enter all the licensing, supply agreements etc)

8350rocks

Distinguished

GloFo had been getting SOI wafers from Soitec in France IIRC.

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

The problem is that at the time, there wasn't even any assurance that UTBB kind of FD-SOI, the one really interesting, would be possible to scale even for 14nm... uniformity of the wafers was a big issue... then in their hurry an eagerness to be first and ahead of everybody, intel launched the huge finfet investment.

Now if Soitec is true, and is possible uniformities of 0.2nm (2 angstroms) for an entire 300mm wafer, i think that is even possible UTBB FD-SOI at the ~7/8 nm node, with 4 to 5 nm buried Boxes...

It could be a long time to be right, but after 7nm FD-SOI is kaput... and even 7nm is not sure yet.

Nevertheless is a lesson that not always being first is the most wise lol ... i think intel believes too much in their own psychotic marketing... first to this first to that... instead of being really better without counting with "twisted" benchmarks, and not really matter too much time to market. Intel is a company driven by marketing, not "innovation and engineering", they seem today too much dependent on copying ideas, (64bit, multicore, QPI ≃ HT, CPU+GPU etc) and they will copy much more ( AMD like modules for those cores lol etc)...

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

I think it was already posted here AMD FP256... 256bit FP pipes capable of 256 bit instruction execution without halfs. Seems to indicate AVX2.

Nevertheless they better.... support AVX 2... otherwise they will take a marketing and benchmark beating like never seen before, even if none "current software" out there will use AVX 2 for years.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I was referring to the CPU; yes, the GPU would be clocked higher than Richland. I wait ~900 MHz.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Therefore, as I said FD-SOI 28nm isn't ready, contrary to claims made here by others.

Kaveri presentation at Computex and samples used by mobo makers have to be bulk. What consequences has, if any, that Gigabyte released a kaveri mobo using a bulk model for testing if the final Kaveri is FD-SOI?

8350rocks

Distinguished

Actually, for Gigabyte, or any MB manufacturer, it would make literally no difference. Though, the FD-SOI chips would clearly operate at a much lower temperature and perform better.

The BIOS updates for those chips when they launch would likely be different...however, above and beyond that, the board design wouldn't change any.

90% of that 1TF comes from the gpu.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I wait 921.6 GFLOPs for the GPU, i.e. 88%

Status
Not open for further replies.