AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 416 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Master-flaw

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

I don't think the word P@wN is in the demographics vocabulary...lol
They're good for light gaming and having the GPU horsepower is very convenient.
I'd go A8/A10 long before I5/I3 if i didn't game as much as I did. Having the GPU horsepower is much more useful than the CPU power as I don't need an I5 for MS office or web-browsing, but the ability to run HD movies smoother or the option for light gaming is enticing. The GPU/CPU ratio makes more sense. Especially for a laptop.

The issue with scheduling comes down to what threads are running at the EXACT INSTANT the nth threads are kicked off. If the core is being used by a OS level task, then your app won't bump it, and a HTT core could get used. And for anything math heavy, that's not a good thing. AMD's CMT has a similar problem, but its not nearly as bad (only ~20% performance loss, versus possible negative gains with HTT)

But yeah, that's the downside to HTT, and why for any tasks that are very math heavy, I tend to mask the thread to only non-HTT cores. Using C/C++ of course :p And bench many, many times to make sure I'm not mucking anything up along the way.

Worst case, you can invoke the OS API's manually to get the job done, but you'd have to preempt the Java threading model. Might want to see if anyones come out with a good wrapper class for this...

Also FYI, I get a 10.94 CPU score with only one core active. Tried to submit, but I'm getting a 503 "Over Quota" message.

i read the first page of that chinese link showing a10 7800 benches. okay i just looked at the images, didn't understand a single letter of text. the spec table looks incorrectly constructed, seems based on richland specs. even if it's real, some of the gaming benches just don't make sense. in the cpu benches, the cores look like good upgrades over pd but in gaming benches the whole apu is barely better than 6800k. what's up with that? it screams bottleneck. this is the first time i've seen a 65w kaveri bench with a proper-looking model number attached to it.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
Cazalan The Haswell i5 only gives about a 10% better scores than the 2500k in those benchmarks.

de5_Roy Nice to see that you continue ignoring what is said. Well done!

Master-flaw

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013

This is what I was assuming they where doing...
Bleeding the market with familiarity with AMD. It spreads to developer optimization as well as popularity.

Problem with this article is is they say Mantle is basically for consoles and carries over to PC's...anyone who's looked into Mantle for the slightest can say that this isn't the case at all. it's solely for P.C.'s.

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Some folks @ S|A forums are raising some points (I'm assuming they can read Mandarin).

1. The Kaveri is an ES
2. The reviewer has problems with thermal throttling.
3. Comparing 100w CPU to 65w CPU.

Seems like there's room for optimism but I'm still reserved.

the first one is probably correct. the second and 3rd ones - only if stock cooler is used and the whole apu get's loaded. xbitlabs showed that 65w apus throttle when loaded. i assumed it may be the case, but i had a stronger suspicion on how the tester got a 65w apu when only 2 kaveri models were announced for launch - 7850k and 7700k. and there were the consistent inconsistency with the presented data.
oh, another thing, that chinese site (and a couple of others) showed win 7 64bit being used. pclabs.pl showed that for cpu-bound gaming, win 8.1 64bit will be significantly better (in their bf4 mp testing) than win 7. i don't know if it affects kaveri as well but i started to ignore gaming benches (among other benches) with win 7 from then onwards (for amd cpus).

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

2 and 3 were mentioned in this thread before... in this same page.

Backstar, you missed point number 4: they didn't use final drivers...

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

You don't need to guess about the first point. The reviewers stated that they used an ES and that will repeat the tests with the final silicon was available. The million dollar question is what memory settings used for the tests. Up to now all the leaked benchmarks used ultralow memory to hide real performance of Kaveri.

Throttling is observed in the benchmarks.

That W8.1 increases performance of APUs by 5-15% compared to W7 was mentioned in this thread many times. Kaveri is an APU.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

ROFL!!!

As someone who has owned a GTS 450 and owns a A8 system. You're WAY wrong. Even with PD core... Celerons aren't impressive... Except for the little Quad core thing they got... that either is a baller, or will be one. Lol.

I've recently decided to build a mATX rig so FM2+ sounds like the best option for me :)

jdwii

Splendid

For 1 its a wrong way to look at it never use sales use retail prices when comparing i could of gotten a A10 6800K for 100$ one day which makes your prices seem like a not so good of a deal.

Also i'll take a 4 core processor over a Cereron anything, to me Celerons are complete rubbish

Second http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/12/29/npd-chromebook-sales-outperform-macbooks-in-commercial-sector-as-ipad-loses-ground

Funny Has anyone every thought of people not needing another laptop or desktop? Since a PC from 2006 is still good enough for Youtube+Web browsing and a PC from 3 years ago can play 1080P easy. Yet Desktops and laptops still count for 61.9% market share.

jdwii

Splendid

Low-medium settings still beat a 360 anyways

jdwii

Splendid

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/celeron-g540-g440_6.html#sect0

Lol are you kidding me it can barley beat a old athlon II a A10 6800K would laugh

juggernautxtr

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013

thats even worse than my sarcasm

logainofhades

Titan

Yes, it is a shame that there aren't any 970 or 990fx M-ATX boards out there. I have the latest revision Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 with my FX 8320 in my spare AMD rig. It is all I could afford when I went to Microcenter for their $100 FX 8320 deal. I I multiplier bumped it to stock FX 8350 speeds, since the board supports the 8350, but I have no intentions of going any higher.

juggernautxtr

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
my youngest son want to build a gaming machine, to get him started putting in an A10 on fm2+ with an h50 water cooler, gonna cross fire it with a decent card thinking 7750 since other have had success.
waiting to see if kaveri will be evolutionary or revolutionary.
even if only evolutionary with good improvement will spring for that. other wise dropping a 6800k

jdwii

Splendid

Yeah all you have to do is look up facts

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
Stop the off-topic war folks, there is plenty forums at toms where you can discuss your celeron vs amd thing.

This is HSA in action for skeptics

A10-7850K_Sisoftware-Sandra-KOPTS.jpg

This is a financial compute test. The review also mentions that JPEG decompression is accelerated by about 90% thanks to HSA. And Steamroller CPU decompress JPEG about 10% faster than Piledriver. Therefore Kaveri is close to 2x faster for decompression.

Here Richland CPU is 43% slower than Kaveri CPU

A10-7850K_WPrime-32.jpg

In footnote 2 of my article I wrote: "Steamroller could be up to 40% faster (approx. 35% from module plus 4% from memory subsystem) than Piledriver." :-D

Another 23% IPC gain

A10-7850K_Musemage.jpg

The Cinebench R11.5 and Excel 2010 scores are odd. It is interesting that both are tests optimized for Intel chips.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
This looks interesting.
A10-7850K_SuperPI.jpg

Faster even than K10.5@3.5GHz. Although SuperPi is really poor benchmark that result is quite surprising, AMD doesn't care about x87 instructions. Maybe it's side-effect of some fundamental improvements.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
szatkus It seems to be a side effect from the L1 cache optimizations in Steamroller.

tourist I discussed ARM when people asked me about it, and also to understand the server and desktop roadmaps (aka I used AMD plans to explain why there is no Steamroller Opteron and, as consequence, why there is no Steamroller FX). Also Kaveri includes an ARM core inside that makes security stuff: TrustZone. Therefore it is more on-topic than your ridiculous Celeron vs APU and the previous i7 vs 8350.

The hypocrisy here is that people who complained against me because ARM was off-topic, has been posting in those off-topic topics without complaining.

Or postings here are on-topic for everyone or for nobody, not just when some of you want it to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.